Can not delete a file with 8bit characters in the name

I have received several attachments from spammers with
8bit characters in their filenames. When I try and delete
the files I get the message "File not found".

I have tried removing them in Windows Explorer, Command
Prompt, and a custom program I wrote. I get the same
results each way.

How can you kill these files?

Matt
14 answers Last reply
More about delete file 8bit characters name

    First, find the person holding the keyboard and mouse. Then lock that
    person in a small closet for at least three months. Feed that person
    several books on Windows such as those in the "Dummies" series.

    From the question I know I can't depend upon this being Windows 2000 you are
    using, but I will pretend it is. Start a CMD.EXE window. Change the
    current drive and directory to where the bad files were saved. Do a dir /x
    in that directory. See if the short file names can be deleted. If not,
    format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. There are disk
    utilities and other things that might work, but are probably far too
    complex.

    "Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have received several attachments from spammers with
    > 8bit characters in their filenames. When I try and delete
    > the files I get the message "File not found".
    >
    > I have tried removing them in Windows Explorer, Command
    > Prompt, and a custom program I wrote. I get the same
    > results each way.
    >
    > How can you kill these files?
    >
    > Matt

    Hi, Matt.

    How did those attachments become files on your computer in the first place?
    Receiving the messages that carry attachments apparently can't be helped,
    unless your ISP has a good filter that can stop them before they reach your
    computer. But you certainly can keep them from becoming FILES on your own
    computer, can't you?

    Which email program do you use to receive the messages from spammers? In
    OE, there is no need to open the attachment. Simply highlight the message
    in the list and Delete it. The message - attachment and all - will simply
    disappear without ever becoming a file on your computer. The attachment's
    short life on your computer will have been limited to being just a part of
    your Inbox.dbx file, never a separate file.

    If you HAVE ignored all the warnings and safeguards and do have such files,
    then open a "DOS" window, use dir /x to determine the SFN (Short File Name,
    also known as the 8.3 filename) of each file and del <SFN> for each one.
    (You said you tried the Command Prompt, but you didn't say HOW you tried
    it.)

    Then make sure that your OE is still set to protect you from such
    attachments. Click Tools | Options... and then the Security tab. By
    default, the box in front of "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened
    that could potentially be a virus" is checked. If the check has
    disappeared, put it back. Whenever you DO need to open an attachment that
    you trust, visit this page and uncheck the box, then visit it again and
    check the box again when you are finished. Also, of course, even if the box
    is not checked, do not open, file, read or otherwise even look at an
    attachment unless you trust the sender, both in the sense of trusting that
    person to do you no harm intentionally AND in the sense of trusting that
    person to "practice safe hex" and not harm you unintentionally.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have received several attachments from spammers with
    > 8bit characters in their filenames. When I try and delete
    > the files I get the message "File not found".
    >
    > I have tried removing them in Windows Explorer, Command
    > Prompt, and a custom program I wrote. I get the same
    > results each way.
    >
    > How can you kill these files?
    >
    > Matt
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    This computer is running Win2K.
    The user is a 30 year veteran operating system designer.
    The dir /x output shows the 8bit characters also, no dice.
    Formatting the hard drive should not be required to delete
    a file in a properly designed operating system.
    Please let me know if you have a reasonable suggestion.

    Windows 2000 you are
    >using, but I will pretend it is. Start a CMD.EXE
    window. Change the
    >current drive and directory to where the bad files were
    saved. Do a dir /x
    >in that directory. See if the short file names can be
    deleted. If not,
    >format the hard drive and reinstall the operating
    system. There are disk
    >utilities and other things that might work, but are
    probably far too
    >complex.
    >
    >"Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> I have received several attachments from spammers with
    >> 8bit characters in their filenames. When I try and
    delete
    >> the files I get the message "File not found".
    >>
    >> I have tried removing them in Windows Explorer, Command
    >> Prompt, and a custom program I wrote. I get the same
    >> results each way.
    >>
    >> How can you kill these files?
    >>
    >> Matt
    >

    >.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Good evening,

    The attachments were automatically saved as files by my
    email program (Eudora). I do not know if it has an option
    to not do this, I looked before but didn't see one.

    dir /x prints the short filenames with 8bit characters,
    no help there.

    The problem appears to be in the filesystem's programming
    interface to the shell or program that is trying to access
    the file. When the program queries the filesystem for the
    names of the file in the folder it is being supplied the
    filenames in 8bit characters as they are stored on the
    disk. When the program sends that same string back to
    the filesystem as part of a delete or rename command
    something in the OS that manipulates the files is probably
    stripping the 8th bit off the filename and the mangled
    7bit filename is not matching any of the files in the
    directory, hence the "File not found" message I get when
    trying to rename/delete the offending files.

    Third party disc managers will probably have the same
    problem that both the windows command shell, the Windows
    Explorer, and the program I wrote ran into, that the
    OS code that supports file commands does not support 8
    bit characters in the filename for all functions.

    Thanks to anyone who can shed enough light on this issue
    to allow for a solution other than formatting the disc
    and starting over.

    Matt

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:16:48 -0700, "Matt"
    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    microsoft.public.win2000.file_system:

    >I have received several attachments from spammers with
    >8bit characters in their filenames. When I try and delete
    >the files I get the message "File not found".
    >
    >I have tried removing them in Windows Explorer, Command
    >Prompt, and a custom program I wrote. I get the same
    >results each way.
    >
    >How can you kill these files?

    I can't duplicate that here (CMD.EXE or Explorer in NT5.0/5.1). If I
    create a file with Alt+128 in the filename (TESTÇ.TXT), I also can
    delete it. Alt+128 appears here as Ç (capital cedille). My codepage is
    850, my console font is the default Raster Fonts. However, I observe
    that the short filename of such a file is TEST~1.TXT whereas you say the
    short filename on your system also contains the 8-bit character, which I
    find baffling.

    Can you cite an example of a filename, long and short?

    What happens if you use wildcards, omitting the 8-bit character(s) with
    a "?"? Or what if you move all non-8-bit filenames somewhere else and
    then issue: DEL *.* in that directory?

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Thanks for the response!

    Del *.* yields the message for each file:
    "The system cannot find the file specified."
    This message appears once for each file.

    Del ????????.EMS yields the same thing.

    Is there a way to post a screenshot here?
    If not is there a way to forward you a JPG?

    The filenames have a hard '~' (tilde), this
    might be the interesting piece of information.
    Some of the filenames only have the C with the
    tail as an odd character outside of the tilde.

    The 'dir' and 'dir /x' outputs are identical.

    Attrib lists the files as only having the 'A'
    bit set.

    Thanks for any help!

    Matt

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:29:18 -0700,
    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    microsoft.public.win2000.file_system:

    >Del *.* yields the message for each file:
    >"The system cannot find the file specified."
    >This message appears once for each file.
    >
    >Del ????????.EMS yields the same thing.
    >
    >Is there a way to post a screenshot here?
    >If not is there a way to forward you a JPG?

    Just cite a filename. What about
    DIR /X >fu.bar
    and then paste fu.bar into a post?

    Do the filenames contain device names, like LPT1, PRN, AUX, COMn, CON?

    >The filenames have a hard '~' (tilde), this
    >might be the interesting piece of information.
    >Some of the filenames only have the C with the
    >tail as an odd character outside of the tilde.
    >
    >The 'dir' and 'dir /x' outputs are identical.

    They can't be.

    >Attrib lists the files as only having the 'A'
    >bit set.
    >
    >Thanks for any help!
    >
    >Matt

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Thanks for the suggestions. Here is the output of the
    shell commands you suggested:

    L:\Users\Matt\Attachments>dir /x
    Volume in drive L is Windows
    Volume Serial Number is 0101-16CD

    Directory of L:\Users\Matt\Attachments

    07/30/2004 05:06p <DIR> .
    07/16/2004 02:11p <DIR> ..
    02/25/2004 09:51a 2,663 (╓)
    EÆ~!S.EMS
    03/08/2004 11:08a 3,117
    UUAIÇ~HY.EMS
    03/09/2004 02:42p 2,147
    UUAIÇ~FM.EMS
    03/15/2004 10:34a 1,670 (╓)
    1'~O5.EMS
    03/10/2004 11:11a 2,192
    UUAIÇ~FS.EMS
    03/17/2004 10:09a 1,614
    ¥_ÄÅÇ~%7.EMS
    03/18/2004 10:24a 990
    ¥AÄÅÇ~1X.EMS
    07/29/2004 04:41p 19,456 EVERY~WU.DOC
    Every Nation DVD Sunday.d
    oc
    03/19/2004 10:28a 1,025
    ¥AÄÅÇ~H9.EMS
    07/28/2004 10:41p 787 OPENI~87.TXT
    Opening and Closing Cards
    ..txt
    07/28/2004 11:24a <DIR>
    ToFile
    10 File(s) 35,661 bytes
    3 Dir(s) 21,483,225,088 bytes free

    L:\Users\Matt\Attachments>dir
    Volume in drive L is Windows
    Volume Serial Number is 0101-16CD

    Directory of L:\Users\Matt\Attachments

    07/30/2004 05:06p <DIR> .
    07/16/2004 02:11p <DIR> ..
    02/25/2004 09:51a 2,663 (╓)EÆ~!S.EMS
    03/08/2004 11:08a 3,117 UUAIÇ~HY.EMS
    03/09/2004 02:42p 2,147 UUAIÇ~FM.EMS
    03/15/2004 10:34a 1,670 (╓)1'~O5.EMS
    03/10/2004 11:11a 2,192 UUAIÇ~FS.EMS
    03/17/2004 10:09a 1,614 ¥_ÄÅÇ~%7.EMS
    03/18/2004 10:24a 990 ¥AÄÅÇ~1X.EMS
    07/29/2004 04:41p 19,456 Every Nation DVD
    Sunday.doc
    03/19/2004 10:28a 1,025 ¥AÄÅÇ~H9.EMS
    07/28/2004 10:41p 787 Opening and Closing
    Cards.txt
    07/28/2004 11:24a <DIR> ToFile
    10 File(s) 35,661 bytes
    3 Dir(s) 21,483,225,088 bytes free

    L:\Users\Matt\Attachments>del U*
    L:\Users\Matt\Attachments\UUAIÇ~HY.EMS
    L:\Users\Matt\Attachments\UUAIÇ~FM.EMS
    L:\Users\Matt\Attachments\UUAIÇ~FS.EMS

    L:\Users\Matt\Attachments>

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:48:20 -0700, "Matt"
    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    microsoft.public.win2000.file_system:

    I still can't duplicate the behaviour you describe.

    I can create the filenames you cite, and delete them
    from Explorer or from cmd (you ARE using cmd.exe, not
    COMMAND.COM, right?) "DEL U*" works as expected, as does
    "DEL *.EMS".

    Several things to try/check:
    * Start cmd.exe with the /u switch
    * Use cmd's filename completion; type
    DEL U<TAB>
    where <TAB> indicates to hit the filename completion
    character, which most people set to TAB.
    * Can you delete the whole directory Attachments from
    Explorer?
    * Is your file system NTFS?
    * Does your e-mail program (Eudora?) have any mechanism
    to delete previously saved attachments?

    (Also, when you deal with a problem involving unusual
    characters, posting from a web or HTML based client to
    newsgroups is confusing; I believe "Content-Transfer-Encoding:
    quoted-printable" will mangle these characters quite
    badly; use "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit" instead.
    It would also help to turn line wrap off temporarily -
    as I have done here. It doesn't guarantee that lines will
    get as intended to the reader, but at least they have a
    chance. A proper news reader is much preferrable.)

    >Thanks for the suggestions. Here is the output of the
    >shell commands you suggested:
    >
    >L:\Users\Matt\Attachments>dir /x
    [snip]
    >02/25/2004 09:51a 2,663 (╓)EÆ~!S.EMS
    >03/08/2004 11:08a 3,117 UUAI=C7~HY.EMS
    >03/09/2004 02:42p 2,147 UUAI=C7~FM.EMS
    >03/15/2004 10:34a 1,670 (╓)1'~O5.EMS
    >03/10/2004 11:11a 2,192 UUAI=C7~FS.EMS
    >03/19/2004 10:28a 1,025 ¥AÄÅÇ~H9.EMS
    [snip]
    >L:\Users\Matt\Attachments>dir
    [snip]
    >02/25/2004 09:51a 2,663 (╓)EÆ~!S.EMS
    >03/08/2004 11:08a 3,117 UUAIÇ~HY.EMS
    >03/09/2004 02:42p 2,147 UUAIÇ~FM.EMS
    >03/15/2004 10:34a 1,670 (╓)1'~O5.EMS
    >03/10/2004 11:11a 2,192 UUAIÇ~FS.EMS
    >03/17/2004 10:09a 1,614 ¥_ÄÅÇ~%7.EMS
    >03/18/2004 10:24a 990 ¥AÄÅÇ~1X.EMS
    [snip]
    >L:\Users\Matt\Attachments>del U*
    >L:\Users\Matt\Attachments\UUAIÇ~HY.EMS
    >The system cannot find the file specified.
    >L:\Users\Matt\Attachments\UUAIÇ~FM.EMS
    >The system cannot find the file specified.
    >L:\Users\Matt\Attachments\UUAIÇ~FS.EMS
    >The system cannot find the file specified.
    [snip]

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi Matt.

    Something will work.

    Boot to command prompt, navagate to the directory and use the old
    Zip commands to zip all the files in the directory using the switches to
    move the files into the zip file. Unzip all the files you want back and
    delete the zip file with the nasty stuff still in it.

    Boot a Knoppix disk, bring up the file and see if nix has a problem deleting
    the files. In the past Knoppix has supposedly had some trouble handling
    NTFS file systems. Don't know if it's worked it out yet or not.

    This;
    http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html
    claims to "Display the true drive contents by bypassing the operating system
    and directly reading the raw drive sectors". Worth a shot....
    Perhaps this or another util can directly edit the MFT;
    Find out the file's address, drive around it's neighborhood, firebomb it's house.

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:48:20 -0700, "Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the suggestions. Here is the output of the
    >shell commands you suggested:
    >
    >L:\Users\Matt\Attachments>dir /x
    > Volume in drive L is Windows
    > Volume Serial Number is 0101-16CD
    >
    > Directory of L:\Users\Matt\Attachments
    >
    >07/30/2004 05:06p <DIR> .
    >07/16/2004 02:11p <DIR> ..
    >02/25/2004 09:51a 2,663 (╓)
    >E=C6~!S.EMS
    >03/08/2004 11:08a 3,117 =20
    >UUAI=C7~HY.EMS
    >03/09/2004 02:42p 2,147 =20
    >UUAI=C7~FM.EMS
    >03/15/2004 10:34a 1,670 (╓)
    >1'~O5.EMS
    >03/10/2004 11:11a 2,192 =20
    >UUAI=C7~FS.EMS
    >03/17/2004 10:09a 1,614 =20
    >=A5_=C4=C5=C7~%7.EMS
    >03/18/2004 10:24a 990 =20
    >=A5A=C4=C5=C7~1X.EMS
    >07/29/2004 04:41p 19,456 EVERY~WU.DOC =20
    >Every Nation DVD Sunday.d
    >oc
    >03/19/2004 10:28a 1,025 =20
    >=A5A=C4=C5=C7~H9.EMS
    >07/28/2004 10:41p 787 OPENI~87.TXT =20
    >Opening and Closing Cards
    >.txt
    >07/28/2004 11:24a <DIR> =20
    >ToFile
    > 10 File(s) 35,661 bytes
    > 3 Dir(s) 21,483,225,088 bytes free
    >
    >L:\Users\Matt\Attachments>dir
    > Volume in drive L is Windows
    > Volume Serial Number is 0101-16CD
    >
    > Directory of L:\Users\Matt\Attachments
    >
    >07/30/2004 05:06p <DIR> .
    >07/16/2004 02:11p <DIR> ..
    >02/25/2004 09:51a 2,663 (╓)E=C6~!S.EMS
    >03/08/2004 11:08a 3,117 UUAI=C7~HY.EMS
    >03/09/2004 02:42p 2,147 UUAI=C7~FM.EMS
    >03/15/2004 10:34a 1,670 (╓)1'~O5.EMS
    >03/10/2004 11:11a 2,192 UUAI=C7~FS.EMS
    >03/17/2004 10:09a 1,614 =A5_=C4=C5=C7~%7.EMS
    >03/18/2004 10:24a 990 =A5A=C4=C5=C7~1X.EMS
    >07/29/2004 04:41p 19,456 Every Nation DVD=20
    >Sunday.doc
    >03/19/2004 10:28a 1,025 =A5A=C4=C5=C7~H9.EMS
    >07/28/2004 10:41p 787 Opening and Closing=20
    >Cards.txt
    >07/28/2004 11:24a <DIR> ToFile
    > 10 File(s) 35,661 bytes
    > 3 Dir(s) 21,483,225,088 bytes free
    >
    >L:\Users\Matt\Attachments>del U*
    >L:\Users\Matt\Attachments\UUAI=C7~HY.EMS
    >The system cannot find the file specified.
    >L:\Users\Matt\Attachments\UUAI=C7~FM.EMS
    >The system cannot find the file specified.
    >L:\Users\Matt\Attachments\UUAI=C7~FS.EMS
    >The system cannot find the file specified.
    >
    >L:\Users\Matt\Attachments>

    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Thanks for all your suggestions.

    I physically unmounted the HD and took it over to
    my Linux computer. Root was able to remove the
    files no problem.

    All other suggestions didn't pan out.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Thanks for all your suggestions.

    I physically unmounted the HD and took it over to
    my Linux computer. Root was able to remove the
    files no problem.

    All other suggestions didn't pan out.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:07:22 -0700,
    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    microsoft.public.win2000.file_system:

    >Thanks for all your suggestions.
    >
    >I physically unmounted the HD and took it over to
    >my Linux computer. Root was able to remove the
    >files no problem.
    >
    >All other suggestions didn't pan out.

    Thanks for the update. Does that mean the file system was not NTFS, or
    can your Linux computer read/write NTFS?

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:59:24 GMT, Michael Bednarek <ROT13(zo@gtz.pbz.nh)>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:07:22 -0700,
    ><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >microsoft.public.win2000.file_system:
    >
    >>Thanks for all your suggestions.
    >>
    >>I physically unmounted the HD and took it over to
    >>my Linux computer. Root was able to remove the
    >>files no problem.
    >>
    >>All other suggestions didn't pan out.
    >
    >Thanks for the update. Does that mean the file system was not NTFS, or
    >can your Linux computer read/write NTFS?

    Linux R/W support for NTFS hasn't still been experimental for over a year.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Windows Explorer File System Command Prompt Microsoft Windows