What do I need to make my Dell a real computer?

ToLoSo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
First time poster, long time viewer! Toms Hardware is a great site!!!

A while back I could not pass up an unbelievable deal on a Dimension 9100 and 24" LCD. Yes I bought it because of the monitor. :lol: I use it mostly for Photoshop, file storage, music, and other basic tasks. I'm not a gamer, but plan on playing some racing games.

I want to convert the Dell into a real computer. I plan on reusing the Pentium D 2.8, memory, DVD players, hard drives, and video card while upgrading gradually. I have so many questions...

I'm looking at the Lian Li PC-60BPLUSII

Obviously, being that Dell uses their own motherboards and I need to buy one. An area that I'm lost! I would like to choose one that can be upgraded to work with a Core 2 Duo. Any suggestions where to start?

Second, I ordered the computer with an ATI X600. Will upgrading the video card be noticable in Photoshop? Will the card work properly with car racing games? Suggestions?

Third, I do plan on upgrading the power supply, but will the Dell fit in the new case/work with a new motherboard?

Besides the CPU cooler do I need anything else?

Thanks!

weilin

Distinguished
im no guru on microatx boards so ill leave that for sum1 else but everything else should be fine. upgrading video card wont help photoshop as thats really a cpu intensive task (corret me if im wrong) . the card should work in racing games (not in high quality graphics but it will work). Dell psus r junk and should never be considered at all.

MOREPOWERPLEASE123

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Ok, the first step to make a Dell into a real computer? Throw it out and buy a new one...Just kidding!!! The power supply will fit into a new case, but you'd be better off buying a new one. Our company uses all Dell's, and it seems like every other time we have to fix one, it's replacing the power supply. As far as what motherboard to get, it depends on what price you are looking to pay. Getting a new video car shouldn't really affect your photoshop experience, and for racing games, it's going to depend on what games, and what res. you'll be playing at. I have an OLD 5700 ultra, and it will handle Nascar Racing 2003, and Need for Speed Underground, as long as Underground is not "maxed out".