System Integration

yumi_cheeseman

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
hey, all, I'm buying a new PC from parts, and am wondering if it will integrate properly, as I am pretty sure it will, I dunno the pin sockets and stuff for the motherboard CPU, and whether say an asus graphics card would integrate better with an asus motherboard etc.

It is a gaming computer

in any case, I would like some feedback on the following list:
ASUS P5B Deluxe WIFI motherboard
Intel Core 2 duo E6600 CPU
Pixelview 7900GT 256MB graphics card
2 GB Patriot 800Mhz c 4-4-4-4-12 (I have no idea what those numbers are can you tell me?) DDR2 RAM

Thermaltake Soprano w/ 550W PSU (will it all fit in here?)
Logitech G5 Laser mouse
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers System
BenQ 17" 6ms 700:1 LCD screen (worth upgrading to 19" 2ms?)
16x Pioneer 111D DVD writer

thanks.

Zog

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
Looks like an excellent starting point. On the graphics card....consider holding off until the DX10 cards come out later in the year. Maybe drop back to a GF 7600 GT and then upgrade later to a much faster DX10 beast. On the monitor.....it is for sure worth spending a little extra for 19 ".....17 will look pretty small after you use it for a bit. I have the BenQ FP93GX 2 ms and is is just gorgeous and reasonably priced depending on where you live. On the RAM....I am only a beginner and I would like to quote wusy who put some excellent posts on Core 2 over clocking....

e.g. 4-4-4-12
CAS# Latency (tCL)
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)
RAS# Precharge (tRP)
RAS# Precharge Delay or Active to Precharge (tRAS)

If I understand correctly...lower is generally better and relates to the spead at which the information is transfered in and out of the ram to controller....??

Perhaps one of the more Guru Type Old Hand peoples can explain it for you a little better.

yumi_cheeseman

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Is the Release date for Vista in December? I think I can just wait out then, the entire system will be slightly cheaper (well not with the DX10 card and Vista software), but I should have some more money by then, and its not urgent.