Windows 7 a475c

lupusst

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Can I upgrade my Hewlett Packard a475c system, presently running Vista Ultimate, to Windows 7 Ultimate? I ask because after buying two copies of the Windows 7 Ultimate, I find my Toshiba laptop (also running Vista Ultimate) does not support the upgrade. The HP desktop computer is even older than the Toshiba laptop.
Thanks
Alec Nowers

TheViper

Distinguished
For Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit, you need a minimum of 1 GB of RAM. Your HP by default comes with 512 MB of RAM. Upgrade that to 1 GB and you can move up to Windows 7.

Also note that because your graphics solution is Direct X 8.1 that it will not support the Aero graphics effects.

lupusst

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Thank you Viper. I have 1.5 GBs of RAM so Windows 7 should work. And recently I improved my graphics card to 256 mb NVidia 6200 AGP. Will that graphics card support the Aero graphics effect?
Best
Alec Nowers

lupusst

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I appreciate your interest, Viper. I tried to load Windows 7 onto my three-year old laptop, a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4344 without any luck. Finally I learned that Toshiba doesn't support the new OS despite the computer having power to burn. I felt a little cheated, tell you the truth.

Meanwhile, thanks for your counsel...Windows 7 is now powering this HP desktop computer.

Alec Nowers

Toshiba may not officially support 7 on that system, but did you try the Vista drivers if any exist? Often times the Vista drivers for a particular device will work just fine under Windows 7. If you're still interested in setting up 7 on your Toshiba, give it a shot and let us know.