When Offline Files access is enabled, cannot use computer ..

The symptom:
Offline Files are enabled on a laptop. Synchronization occurs normally. User tries to log onto laptop using domain credentials when the computer is offline (i.e. at home) but explorer.exe never launches, therefor nothing appears on the screen except wallpaper. (No icons, no start menu, no taskbar.)

The details:
Cannot bring up Windows Security|Task Manager with Ctrl+Alt+Del, therefore cannot manually launch explorer.
Can successfully log in as another user, whether a local user or another domain user with cached credentials that does not have Offline Files configured.
Disable Offline Files (via Folder Options) and the user can once again log in normally. Enable then again and the problem reoccurs.
This is happening with several computers, both W2K and XP, but the XP computers seem to exibit the problem intermittently, whereas the W2k boxes are more consistently unworkable with Offline Files.

The environment:
Windows 2000 Active Directory - Native Mode
All Pc's are either W2K or XP
Domain user has Local Admin rights.
--
Eric Q.
Network Administrator

    This is OT, but my usual suggestion when people are having problems with
    offline files is to ditch it. I prefer a third party option - an inexpensive
    shareware utility called SecondCopy (www.centered.com).

    Sorry I can't address the specifics of your problem, but as I don't use
    offline files anymore I've never seen this.....perhaps someone else has a
    more relevant answer.

    equacken wrote:
    > The symptom:
    > Offline Files are enabled on a laptop. Synchronization occurs
    > normally. User tries to log onto laptop using domain credentials when
    > the computer is offline (i.e. at home) but explorer.exe never
    > launches, therefor nothing appears on the screen except wallpaper.
    > (No icons, no start menu, no taskbar.)
    >
    > The details:
    > Cannot bring up Windows Security|Task Manager with Ctrl+Alt+Del,
    > therefore cannot manually launch explorer. Can successfully log in as
    > another user, whether a local user or another domain user with cached
    > credentials that does not have Offline Files configured. Disable
    > Offline Files (via Folder Options) and the user can once again log in
    > normally. Enable then again and the problem reoccurs. This is
    > happening with several computers, both W2K and XP, but the XP
    > computers seem to exibit the problem intermittently, whereas the W2k
    > boxes are more consistently unworkable with Offline Files.
    >
    > The environment:
    > Windows 2000 Active Directory - Native Mode
    > All Pc's are either W2K or XP
    > Domain user has Local Admin rights.

Computers Windows