Sign in with
Your question

Opteron 165 Stock VS 3rd party cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
August 30, 2006 5:44:24 AM

Ive been looking at different Fan/Heatsinks mostly for best cooling and noise reduction.

The stock cooler that comes with the opteron 165 does a damn good job. 28-30C idle. and 38-40C load. I can also run it at about 30% fan speed and only have the temps increase by 2C, 4C at most.

I was looking at Thermaltake Big Typhoon, ZALMAN CNPS9500, and Artic Cooling Freezer 64.

Since I already get damn good temps, at least i think :p . Do you think I would get better temps with a third party heatsink/fan?

Since the Stock cooler is already damn quiet enough, is it worth upgrading?

If anyone is wondering, I have it overclocked to 2.4ghz. Room temp is about 21-22C
August 30, 2006 6:00:48 AM

I've seen the 9500...not bad, I have a 7700...does good.

My favorite is the Typhoon for damn good reason.

23C idle never broke 37C load @ 3ghz.....then again, it was kinda chilly around here when I did it. But it crushed the 7700, which hovered around 29C idle and somwhere mid 40's load.

The 9500...well, if you got a couple rear 120mm fans, it would be pretty nice.
If you dont, then my recommendation is the TT.
August 30, 2006 9:28:25 PM

If the stock unit works good for you and you're satisfied with your OC, then I wouldn't bother. Especially because, aside from the AC Freezer 64, those bits can get expensive for what might not be a large gain.

If you want to try and push your system further, then you can try an aftermarket but it doesn't sound like heat is a roadblock holding you back with your current setup.
August 30, 2006 10:02:02 PM

Not really needed. You wont probably gain any more oc. Your temps are ok. Just check by touching the heat sink while its at load to see if that temperature isnt off.

You could only hit 2.4 ??? at what voltage ??? whats default voltage?? mobo ?? please
August 30, 2006 10:34:58 PM

I didnt try and max my CPU out. 2.4 is fine for me. Ive gone up to 2.8 (2.79 to be exact) before. DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D is my board. Default voltage(1.31)
August 30, 2006 10:39:33 PM

Yup those Optys are wonderfull! My x2 3800 goes to only 2.4 before it needs more voltage. Most I can squeez is 2.6 and needs a LOT of voltage.
August 31, 2006 3:22:13 AM

Hell...My opinion.

Up the voltage CPU, chipset and ram....

Get a better solution and crank that thing up :twisted: :twisted:
August 31, 2006 3:24:55 AM

ahah. I might do that when i get my new cooler.

Ive been reading alot of reviews on coolers and ive limited it down to By Typhoon and Zalman 9500 to choose from :p 

Edit: On second thought. Im buying a new case (TT Armor)... why not go all out with watercooling? hehe
August 31, 2006 4:04:19 AM

Quote:
ahah. I might do that when i get my new cooler.

Ive been reading alot of reviews on coolers and ive limited it down to By Typhoon and Zalman 9500 to choose from :p 

Edit: On second thought. Im buying a new case (TT Armor)... why not go all out with watercooling? hehe

The Armor is a very good case. Water cooling... That'll be a whole new can of worms for you. Don't under-do it. If you stick with air, I like the Arctic FP and the Zalman. That typhoon is a brick and will bend your mobo like a potato chip.
August 31, 2006 4:10:14 AM

Quote:

The Armor is a very good case. .

That it is....

Quote:

Water cooling... That'll be a whole new can of worms for you. Don't under-do it. .

Agreed. Chances are if you go with a pre-essembled kit, you'll end up having the same results, if not better results with high end air.

Quote:

That typhoon is a brick and will bend your mobo like a potato chip.

It will? Funny, I've had it on several motherboards....never had an issue.
August 31, 2006 4:25:21 AM

Quote:
Hell...My opinion.

Up the voltage CPU, chipset and ram....

Get a better solution and crank that thing up :twisted: :twisted:

That's not an opinion, that's fact! :wink:

Finding the highest frequency is a balance between voltage and temperature for aircooling. [/copyrighted by wusy]
ahahahah

I planned on maxing it out when i got my new cooling. I just havent decided on what to get yet :) 

Ive been go over water setups. I found one that looks promising.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

I just need a Chipset waterblock. ive been doing alot of watercooling research as well. If I do end up getting water cooling is that setup a decent setup?
August 31, 2006 1:12:02 PM

Quote:

That typhoon is a brick and will bend your mobo like a potato chip.

It will? Funny, I've had it on several motherboards....never had an issue.

Admittedly, I was being dramatic. A few months ago, I spent some time talking to mobo designers and assembly engineers. All of them brought up problems they were seeing from heavy HSFs. I heard the Typhoon and the Ninja mentioned specificly mentioned on more than one occasion. It looks like the designers are beginning to compensate by beefing up the socket area.
August 31, 2006 3:15:13 PM

Yes it can bend but only if your a noob.

I have BigTyphoon on my CPU and Arctic Freezer 64pro on my x800xt with 2x120mm fans on the bigtyphoon thats some WEIGHT. I'll try and get a pic.

The back plate is used so you dont bend the mobo.
August 31, 2006 3:18:41 PM

You dont need water just your temps cool (below 50-55C).
My air cooling gets better temps than some water cooling kits.

Push it man! You prolly wont damage you CPU ever but maybe your mobo is gonna fry. But then you have DFI for that!

Burn, baby burn 3+Ghz :twisted:

Remember to cool the voltage regulatorn they love it when its cold :) 
August 31, 2006 3:25:52 PM

Quote:

I have BigTyphoon on my CPU and Arctic Freezer 64pro on my x800xt with 2x120mm fans on the bigtyphoon thats some WEIGHT. I'll try and get a pic.

Ya, dood, I'm a noob. So are the doods that design and build mobos - the ones that are having to redesign mobos to handle the stress of heavy HSFs because the RMAs due to mobo damage around the socket have shot up recently. Ya, dood, noobs like me know nothin'.
August 31, 2006 3:45:25 PM

Quote:

Yes please post some pics. This I must see.
August 31, 2006 4:35:30 PM

Clueless does have a point, the weight of the HS/F does put some stress on the socket area of the board. However just clamp down your screws nice and tight; dont play soccer with your computer and I think you should be alright :!:
August 31, 2006 10:53:04 PM

Quote:
Clueless does have a point, the weight of the HS/F does put some stress on the socket area of the board. However just clamp down your screws nice and tight; dont play soccer with your computer and I think you should be alright :!:

In an earlier thread, Pengwin said that the socket-area mobo failures were more common on lanparty rigs. That would make sense because a heavy HSF would get more momentum to do the damage when being carried around, driven in a car, etc. From my end, I just happened to get into some discussions about mobo failures from OC'ing and every single engineer/designer I spoke to mentioned the upswing they were seeing in socket area failures. I used to work with multilayer electronic composites and one of the tests we'd do is repetitive flex till failure, then go in and look at the source of the failure. Common stuff for cel phone and laptop development, but apparently it didn't become a factor in desktop mobos until heavy HSFs hit the enthusiast market.
September 2, 2006 3:59:13 AM

i can get around 2700mhz not doing over 49c with my artice freezer and opty 165 at 1.400v i havent increased volts higher yet and prob wont but the cooler was only $25! and it works alot better then the stock imo
!