Ack! My Morrowind won't reinstall!

Ack! Darn you, scratched disk!

My morrowind folders had WAY too much stuff in it (it was taking up almost
10 GB of space, hehe), so I decided to uninstall it, and then reinstall it.
However, I didn't realize until I started to reinstall it that my CD has a
nasty scratch on it, and can't read the data2.cab.

Darn it. I guess I'll have to wait 10 days until I get paid, and buy a new
copy.

In article <Oluze.5595$Tc6.4835@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
The REAL Pope Emperor FrogMaN <uncle_toade@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Ack! Darn you, scratched disk!
>
>My morrowind folders had WAY too much stuff in it (it was taking up almost
>10 GB of space, hehe), so I decided to uninstall it, and then reinstall it.
>However, I didn't realize until I started to reinstall it that my CD has a
>nasty scratch on it, and can't read the data2.cab.
>
>Darn it. I guess I'll have to wait 10 days until I get paid, and buy a new
>copy.

I picked up a new copy of the GOTY at Target for $20, so assuming that
you're in the States you can grab a copy for cheap. Comes with the map, a
revised manual and a pretty box. :)

-KKC, who's discovered the joy of Morrowind Mods on the Xbox.
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |

"Kendrick Kerwin Chua" <kendrick@fnord.io.com> wrote in message
> In article <Oluze.5595$Tc6.4835@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
> The REAL Pope Emperor FrogMaN <uncle_toade@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Ack! Darn you, scratched disk!
> >
> I picked up a new copy of the GOTY at Target for $20, so assuming that
> you're in the States you can grab a copy for cheap. Comes with the map, a
> revised manual and a pretty box. :)

That's what I had. I lost the map anyways, so it would be nice to have
another one, hehe.

The reason why I was doing a re-install is because I had too much stuff in
the game (too many MODs), and it was getting a little slow in some places
(Suran, for example, was choppy and slow). So I wanted to get rid of a lot
of stuff.

drybones

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2004

"The REAL Pope Emperor FrogMaN" <uncle_toade@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Kendrick Kerwin Chua" <kendrick@fnord.io.com> wrote in message
>> In article <Oluze.5595$Tc6.4835@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
>> The REAL Pope Emperor FrogMaN <uncle_toade@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >Ack! Darn you, scratched disk!
>> >
>> I picked up a new copy of the GOTY at Target for $20, so assuming that
>> you're in the States you can grab a copy for cheap. Comes with the map, a
>> revised manual and a pretty box. :)
>
> That's what I had. I lost the map anyways, so it would be nice to have
> another one, hehe.
>
> The reason why I was doing a re-install is because I had too much stuff in
> the game (too many MODs), and it was getting a little slow in some places
> (Suran, for example, was choppy and slow). So I wanted to get rid of a
> lot
> of stuff.

If you have a registry cleaner (regsupreme or other) use to clear out all
your old Morrowind files.

You can go into your registry and do a manual clean out by searching for
Morrowind and then Bethesda.

"The REAL Pope Emperor FrogMaN" <uncle_toade@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ack! Darn you, scratched disk!
>
>My morrowind folders had WAY too much stuff in it (it was taking up almost
>10 GB of space, hehe), so I decided to uninstall it, and then reinstall it.
>However, I didn't realize until I started to reinstall it that my CD has a
>nasty scratch on it, and can't read the data2.cab.
>
>Darn it. I guess I'll have to wait 10 days until I get paid, and buy a new
>copy.

You might try Bethesda first. Most places will swap out bad discs
if you mail them in. Some free, some wanting the cost of shipping.

For future ref, there are programs out there that will allow you
to make your legal backup copy, in spite of the cd protection.

The REAL Pope Emperor FrogMaN wrote:
> Ack! Darn you, scratched disk!
>
> My morrowind folders had WAY too much stuff in it (it was taking up
> almost 10 GB of space, hehe), so I decided to uninstall it, and then
> reinstall it. However, I didn't realize until I started to reinstall
> it that my CD has a nasty scratch on it, and can't read the data2.cab.
>
> Darn it. I guess I'll have to wait 10 days until I get paid, and buy
> a new copy.

Have you tried Brasso or T-Cut? You can sometimes repair scratches with
these. Another option would be to see if Bethesda offer a replacement disc
service.

In article <EP2dnXTIDJsIRFLfRVnysw@pipex.net>,
Adam <newsgroups@millerchipREMOVETHIS.net> wrote:
>I've only ever played Morrowind, not the previous versions.
>DMen wrote:
<<snip>>
>> All this assumes you mean the plastic's scratched, not the label side. If
>> the label's scratched through, then you're up the creek w\out the paddle.
>> You can always go to the BS website, download Arena, and play into Morrowind
>> there. Me, I get a kick out of Aldruhn being called Old Run. I checked it
>> out when they released it for a hoot. That'll keep you occupied until you
>> can get your mitts on a copy of MW.
>>
>What was that you said about playing into Morrowing from Arena? How does
>that work?

Arena was a previous version Elder Scrolls game that was released for free
by Bethesda. There's a link here somewhere in my shortcuts... Ah, here we
go.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm

Not as detailed as Morrowind, but for some people that means a more
focused game with clearer goals. For later versions of Windows, you need
some flavor of DOS emulator in order to run it.

-KKC, downloading Morrowind Mods for Xbox. Woo.
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |
defend human freedom against al-Qaeda, a ruthless | Please don't use
terrorist organization determined to rule the world! | eBay. Ask me why.

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:05:08 +0100, Adam
<newsgroups@millerchipREMOVETHIS.net> wrote:

>I've only ever played Morrowind, not the previous versions.
>
>What was that you said about playing into Morrowing from Arena? How does
>that work?

Arena is Elder Scrolls 1. Another post told you how to get it. The
area covered in Arena is the entire continent of Tamriel, including
Morrowind, so you can go to Morrowind while playing Arena.
--
Nyctolops

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:29:08 GMT, "The REAL Pope Emperor FrogMaN"
<uncle_toade@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I was fooling around with Arena. I can't figure out how to fight things.
>It runs on my PC (I have Windows ME), but I think it's not running
>correctly, even with a DOS box. NP, though. At least I can look at the
>pretty pictures (although dated), hehe.

Someday I am going to have to download Arena and see if I can get it
to work on my main machine. Nothing I tried got the sound to work on
my old computer, which I saved to play old games (read Daggerfall) on.
Arena is playable without sound, but a lot of the atmosphere is
missing. Plus, the first sign that I usually have that an enemy is
around is when I get whacked.

>It's too bad BS hasn't released the other ones as freeware. Maybe they will
>when Oblivion comes out (IF it ever comes out, haha).

I think Redguard and Battlespire may be too recent for this, but I do
think that they ought to release Daggerfall, as they are not selling
copies of it anymore, making it almost impossible for anyone to obtain
a legal copy now.
--
Nyctolops

> I was fooling around with Arena. I can't figure out how to fight things.
> It runs on my PC (I have Windows ME), but I think it's not running
> correctly, even with a DOS box. NP, though. At least I can look at the
> pretty pictures (although dated), hehe.

Never mind... I figured it out.

"Nyctolops" <nyctolops@vla.nospam.com> wrote in message

> Someday I am going to have to download Arena and see if I can get it
> to work on my main machine. Nothing I tried got the sound to work on
> my old computer, which I saved to play old games (read Daggerfall) on.
> Arena is playable without sound, but a lot of the atmosphere is
> missing. Plus, the first sign that I usually have that an enemy is
> around is when I get whacked.

I figured out what was wrong. DOSbox was parsing the file incorrectly. I
ran it in just a regular DOS window, and it ran fine. Minus most sounds,
unfortunately. It does, however, play some sounds. Like when I level up,
or if there's a voice.

> I think Redguard and Battlespire may be too recent for this, but I do
> think that they ought to release Daggerfall, as they are not selling
> copies of it anymore, making it almost impossible for anyone to obtain
> a legal copy now.

I've always wanted to play Daggerfall. But... as you said... copies aren't
being sold anymore, so I'm out of luck.

> "Nyctolops" <nyctolops@vla.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Someday I am going to have to download Arena and see if I can get it
>> to work on my main machine. Nothing I tried got the sound to work on
>> my old computer, which I saved to play old games (read Daggerfall) on.
>> Arena is playable without sound, but a lot of the atmosphere is
>> missing. Plus, the first sign that I usually have that an enemy is
>> around is when I get whacked.
>
> I figured out what was wrong. DOSbox was parsing the file incorrectly. I
> ran it in just a regular DOS window, and it ran fine. Minus most sounds,
> unfortunately. It does, however, play some sounds. Like when I level up,
> or if there's a voice.
>
>> I think Redguard and Battlespire may be too recent for this, but I do
>> think that they ought to release Daggerfall, as they are not selling
>> copies of it anymore, making it almost impossible for anyone to obtain
>> a legal copy now.
>
> I've always wanted to play Daggerfall. But... as you said... copies
> aren't
> being sold anymore, so I'm out of luck.

You'll want to try out the Betony island demo then. It's as big as
Morrowind, with more towns and dungeons than you can shake a spear at. It's
got everything the full game has, and is a free download to boot. There's a
level cap, but you still get to up your skills in the game, so that's no
real handicap. Bethesda put out two demos for Daggerfall. Don't bother
with the dungeon demo, as that's all it it - a dungeon. Blah. The Betony
Demo has plenty of those, and mucho bueno quests too.

DMen

"DMen" <dyrt@shaLALALAw.ca> wrote in message

> You'll want to try out the Betony island demo then. It's as big as
> Morrowind, with more towns and dungeons than you can shake a spear at.
It's > got everything the full game has, and is a free download to boot.
There's a
> level cap, but you still get to up your skills in the game, so that's no
> real handicap. Bethesda put out two demos for Daggerfall. Don't bother
> with the dungeon demo, as that's all it it - a dungeon. Blah. The Betony
> Demo has plenty of those, and mucho bueno quests too.

The Betony Demo keeps asking for a CD when I try to run it, unfortunately.
And when I run it straight from a DOS window, it gives me a "error 0"
message, and then locks up.

Oh well.... :-(

Geez, throw away the unlucky rabbit's foot already. I just went to the
Windows Explorer in WinXP, setup the soundcard (Music doesn't work, but I
can download and listen to that whenever I like, so no biggie.) and then
clicked on the game and started playing. Come to think on it, I seem to
recall reading on a fanpage that the Error 0 was due to installing in a
custom folder instead of the default, and a couple other things can cause
buggy behavior, like not setting up your soundcard, or setting it up wrong.
If it makes you feel any worse, I had that pop up a few times on me in the
full game too when it first came out. The old 486 kind of chugged on the
game, but the P166 I got after made it a lot more fun, and cut down on
errors too.

You can give it up as a lost cause - you've probably got the Morrowind CD by
now. I just hate to see good advice fall flat on it's face.

DMen

> Geez, throw away the unlucky rabbit's foot already.

LOL. That's the story of my life. I must have a bunch of them hidden
somewhere that I don't know about.

> Come to think on it, I seem to
> recall reading on a fanpage that the Error 0 was due to installing in a
> custom folder instead of the default, and a couple other things can cause
> buggy behavior, like not setting up your soundcard, or setting it up
wrong.

I installed it into a custom folder on my D drive. I have 2 HDDs in my
system -- the original 20 GB + a newer 82 GB. The 82 GB is partitioned into
4 pieces, each 20 GB (I did that because I can organize my files, plus it's
easier to defrag & scandisk a 20 GB drive vs. a 82 GB drive). Anyways, I
reinstalled the demo, default everything, and it worked. Thanks for the
advice!!!

> If it makes you feel any worse, I had that pop up a few times on me in the
> full game too when it first came out. The old 486 kind of chugged on the
> game, but the P166 I got after made it a lot more fun, and cut down on
> errors too.
>
> You can give it up as a lost cause - you've probably got the Morrowind CD
by
> now. I just hate to see good advice fall flat on it's face.

I don't have the Morrowind CD yet. I was just about to head over to Best
Buy and see if they still have one in stock. :)

Cool. If I had a tail, I'd wag it. Of course, I'd probably also drag it
around the carpet and shed hairs everywhere too. Best I leave it to a
smiley face then. :)

Enough typing - time for some good, old-fashioned, smug self-satisfaction.
And maybe a snack.

DMen

> "DMen" <dyrt@shaLALALAw.ca> wrote in message
>
>> Geez, throw away the unlucky rabbit's foot already.
>
> LOL. That's the story of my life. I must have a bunch of them hidden
> somewhere that I don't know about.
>
>> Come to think on it, I seem to
>> recall reading on a fanpage that the Error 0 was due to installing in a
>> custom folder instead of the default, and a couple other things can cause
>> buggy behavior, like not setting up your soundcard, or setting it up
> wrong.
>
> I installed it into a custom folder on my D drive. I have 2 HDDs in my
> system -- the original 20 GB + a newer 82 GB. The 82 GB is partitioned
> into
> 4 pieces, each 20 GB (I did that because I can organize my files, plus
> it's
> easier to defrag & scandisk a 20 GB drive vs. a 82 GB drive). Anyways, I
> reinstalled the demo, default everything, and it worked. Thanks for the
> advice!!!
>
>> If it makes you feel any worse, I had that pop up a few times on me in
>> the
>> full game too when it first came out. The old 486 kind of chugged on the
>> game, but the P166 I got after made it a lot more fun, and cut down on
>> errors too.
>>
>> You can give it up as a lost cause - you've probably got the Morrowind CD
> by
>> now. I just hate to see good advice fall flat on it's face.
>
> I don't have the Morrowind CD yet. I was just about to head over to Best
> Buy and see if they still have one in stock. :)

Adam

Nyctolops wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:05:08 +0100, Adam
> <newsgroups@millerchipREMOVETHIS.net> wrote:
>

>>I've only ever played Morrowind, not the previous versions.
>>
>>What was that you said about playing into Morrowing from Arena? How does
>>that work?
>>

> Arena is Elder Scrolls 1. Another post told you how to get it. The
> area covered in Arena is the entire continent of Tamriel, including
> Morrowind, so you can go to Morrowind while playing Arena.
> --
> Nyctolops

Ah cool, thanks for the info you two.

> Cool. If I had a tail, I'd wag it. Of course, I'd probably also drag it
> around the carpet and shed hairs everywhere too. Best I leave it to a
> smiley face then. :)
>
> Enough typing - time for some good, old-fashioned, smug self-satisfaction.
> And maybe a snack.

Ah well.... I replaced my Morrowind disks. It was a scary week or so
without my Morrowind.

The damndest thing -- upon re-installing it, I reinstalled all my mods that
I had also. A couple of them didn't work right (kept giving me all these
error messages), but after reinstalling them, they work fine!!!! Now my
dark elf samurai lives in a beautiful Dojo, overlooking not-very-beautiful
Vivec.

I'm going to see if I can figure out how to move it. Maybe put it on some
remote island or something, or in the middle of the Grazelands.

MERLIN

<uncle_toade@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> "Nyctolops" <nyctolops@vla.nospam.com> wrote in
message

>> Someday I am going to have to download Arena and
see if I can get it
>> to work on my main machine. Nothing I tried got
the sound to work on
>> my old computer, which I saved to play old games
(read Daggerfall) on.
>> Arena is playable without sound, but a lot of the
atmosphere is
>> missing. Plus, the first sign that I usually have
that an enemy is
>> around is when I get whacked.
>
> I figured out what was wrong. DOSbox was parsing
the file incorrectly. I
> ran it in just a regular DOS window, and it ran
fine. Minus most sounds,
> unfortunately. It does, however, play some sounds.
Like when I level up,
> or if there's a voice.
>
>> I think Redguard and Battlespire may be too recent
for this, but I do
>> think that they ought to release Daggerfall, as
they are not selling
>> copies of it anymore, making it almost impossible
for anyone to obtain
>> a legal copy now.
>
> I've always wanted to play Daggerfall. But... as
you said... copies aren't
> being sold anymore, so I'm out of luck.

When Oblivion comes out, the elderscrolls saga will
be
complete. So I wouldn't be surprised if there came a
complete edition of the saga, elderscrolls saga I,
II, III and IV

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:21:21 +0200, "Merlin"
<bech_dokNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

> When Oblivion comes out, the elderscrolls saga will
>be
> complete. So I wouldn't be surprised if there came a
> complete edition of the saga, elderscrolls saga I,
> II, III and IV

That would be really great, but there wouldn't there be a huge amount
of work to be done on Arena and Daggerfall to make them work on a
machine which could run Oblivion? I guess they could stick on a DOS
emulator and a start them with a batch file that included a slow-down
utility, but what about sound card problems?
--
Nyctolops

Nyctolops schrieb:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:21:21 +0200, "Merlin"
> <bech_dokNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> When Oblivion comes out, the elderscrolls saga will
>>be
>> complete. So I wouldn't be surprised if there came a
>> complete edition of the saga, elderscrolls saga I,
>> II, III and IV
>>

> That would be really great, but there wouldn't there be a huge amount
> of work to be done on Arena and Daggerfall to make them work on a
> machine which could run Oblivion? I guess they could stick on a DOS
> emulator and a start them with a batch file that included a slow-down
> utility, but what about sound card problems?
> Nyctolops

At least I could get Arena on a CD-ROM instead of the 3,5" floppy disks
I´ve got ;-)
bye
Michael