Anyone had luck with a STT6201U tape drive??

I tried using Backup Exec Version 8.6 with a Seagate STT6201U tape drive
(USB). The standard
Win2000 backup utility works fine with it (its shows up in the utility as
"TRAVAN".

When you run the utility that comes with the drive, it says the following:

"ATAPI/IDE Channel: 2, Configuration: 0
Seagate STT20000A, Firmware: 8A51"

The first time I tried to install it, I told it to use the Veritas drivers.
It took about an hour to install and towards the end, the SYSTEM process
pegged at 90%. Once it rebooted, the processor continue to peg and after
about five minutes an event would be written in the log that said: "The
following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
tratapi-VRTS". At the bottom of this is the log showing where it installed
the Veritas driver.

I uninstalled it, then re-installed it and this time told it just to use the
existing drivers and to share Removable Storage. It installed fine but BEX
does not recognize that the Seagate drive exists. I then went into the
Removable Storage snapin, Double-clicked Physical Locations, right-clicked
the drive, selected Properties, Clear the Enable Library option on the
General tab, re-booted but it still does not see the drive.

I left this on the Veritas forum a few weeks ago but no one answered.

Any ideas?

Arch

Munged cmdline: "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\tapeinst.exe" -n
EXE name: C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\tapeinst.exe
Set selected driver.
Searching for hardware ID(s):
ide\sequentialseagate_stt20000a_______________________8a51____,ide\seagate_stt20000a_______________________8a51____,ide\sequentialseagate_stt20000a_______________________,seagate_stt20000a_______________________8a51____,gensequential
Searching for compatible ID(s): gensequential
The file (c:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\idr\disk4\vrtstape.inf) is
not digitally signed, ignoring driver date.
Found IDE\SequentialSeagate_STT20000A_______________________8A51____ in
c:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\idr\disk4\vrtstape.inf; Device:
Seagate STT20000A; Driver: Seagate STT20000A; Provider: VERITAS Software
Inc.; Mfg: SEAGATE; Section: tratapi_Inst
Decorated section name: tratapi_Inst
Found IDE\SequentialSeagate_STT20000A_______________________ in c:\program
files\veritas\backup exec\nt\idr\disk4\vrtstape.inf; Device: Seagate
STT20000A; Driver: Seagate STT20000A; Provider: VERITAS Software Inc.; Mfg:
SEAGATE; Section: tratapi_Inst
Decorated section name: tratapi_Inst
Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
Selected driver installs from section tratapi_Inst in c:\program
files\veritas\backup exec\nt\idr\disk4\vrtstape.inf.
Changed class GUID of device to {6D807884-7D21-11CF-801C-08002BE10318}.
Set selected driver.
Selected best compatible driver.
Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES.
Doing copy-only install of
IDE\SEQUENTIALSEAGATE_STT20000A_______________________8A51____\6&11E87F06&0&1000.
Installing section tratapi_Inst from c:\program files\veritas\backup
exec\nt\idr\disk4\vrtstape.inf.
An unsigned or incorrectly signed driver (c:\program files\veritas\backup
exec\nt\idr\disk4\vrtstape.inf) was installed for Seagate STT20000A. Error
0xe000022f: The third-party INF does not contain digital signature
information.
Copying file c:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\idr\disk4\tratapi.sys
to C:\WINNT\system32\DRIVERS\tratapi.sys.
An unsigned or incorrectly signed driver (c:\program files\veritas\backup
exec\nt\idr\disk4\vrtstape.inf) was installed for Seagate STT20000A. Error
0xe000022f: The third-party INF does not contain digital signature
information.
Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
Co-Installers Registered.
Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
Installing section tratapi_Inst.Interfaces from c:\program
files\veritas\backup exec\nt\idr\disk4\vrtstape.inf.
Interfaces installed.
Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
Doing full install of
IDE\SEQUENTIALSEAGATE_STT20000A_______________________8A51____\6&11E87F06&0&1000.
An unsigned or incorrectly signed driver (c:\program files\veritas\backup
exec\nt\idr\disk4\vrtstape.inf) was installed for Seagate STT20000A. Error
0xe000022f: The third-party INF does not contain digital signature
information.
Device required reboot: Device not started (unknown reason).
Device install finished successfully
(IDE\SEQUENTIALSEAGATE_STT20000A_______________________8A51____\6&11E87F06&0&1000).

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

you're not going to get it working, sorry. Veritas consider USB, IDE,
parallel drives & such "home use" type stuff, & this is a business-class
product. They dropped IDE support a few versions back (prior to 8.6,
anyway, which i use with a SCSI DAT drive @ home), & as far as i know,
they've never supported USB. It may be the case that even Travan drives are
not supported in any manner, don't know about that. Somewhere i have an old
IDE Travan drive, which they quit supporting a few years ago... i think it
still works with v.7.3, but it's been at least 4-5 yrs. since i used that
drive and my memory could be fuzzy.

They used to make a version of Backup Exec for home use in the Win95/98 era
that supported all this stuff, but it got sold off sometime around the time
Veritas bought Backup Exec off of Seagate Software. I don't know what
became of it.

> I tried using Backup Exec Version 8.6 with a Seagate STT6201U tape drive
> (USB). The standard
> Win2000 backup utility works fine with it (its shows up in the utility as
> "TRAVAN".
>
> When you run the utility that comes with the drive, it says the following:
>
> "ATAPI/IDE Channel: 2, Configuration: 0
> Seagate STT20000A, Firmware: 8A51"

Thanks a million for the response!! At least now I can quit messing with it
to try to get it to work.

Arch

"anon" <anon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> you're not going to get it working, sorry. Veritas consider USB, IDE,
> parallel drives & such "home use" type stuff, & this is a business-class
> product. They dropped IDE support a few versions back (prior to 8.6,
> anyway, which i use with a SCSI DAT drive @ home), & as far as i know,
> they've never supported USB. It may be the case that even Travan drives
> are
> not supported in any manner, don't know about that. Somewhere i have an
> old
> IDE Travan drive, which they quit supporting a few years ago... i think it
> still works with v.7.3, but it's been at least 4-5 yrs. since i used that
> drive and my memory could be fuzzy.
>
> They used to make a version of Backup Exec for home use in the Win95/98
> era
> that supported all this stuff, but it got sold off sometime around the
> time
> Veritas bought Backup Exec off of Seagate Software. I don't know what
> became of it.
>

>> I tried using Backup Exec Version 8.6 with a Seagate STT6201U tape drive
>> (USB). The standard
>> Win2000 backup utility works fine with it (its shows up in the utility as
>> "TRAVAN".
>>
>> When you run the utility that comes with the drive, it says the
>> following:
>>
>> "ATAPI/IDE Channel: 2, Configuration: 0
>> Seagate STT20000A, Firmware: 8A51"

TRENDING THREADS