Basic Overclocking Questions

TBlaar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi All

Okay, so I decided to have a look at the possibility of overclocking my little computer because, well, I can.

Here is the patient:
----------------------

Intel 640 CPU (3.2GHz, 800FSB, 2MB cache, EM64T, etc)
Gigabyte 945P-G Mobo (800 FSB, 16x PCI-Express)
2 x 512 MB Corsair 667 DDR2 Value Select (5.5.5.12, i think)
Gigabyte 6600 128bit, 256MB, Turboforce Edition.
Seagate SATA 160 GB 8MB Cache
Some case and fans and stuff...

OK.

When I run 3DMark 2005, all standard settings, I get 2500 points.
When I initially built the machine, I am sure I got more... Anyway...

Now, I am using Gigabyte's utils for overclocking the CPU and Graphics.
I have set the CPU to 3.306GHz, with easy setting. this means i just click plus, and the util changes the FSB, Voltage, etc for me.
Also, when I get to around 3.4GHz, the PC freezes. The CPU temp is still okay, like 45, but it freezes.

1. Is there any better way to do this, meaning do I rather not do this, and change the fsb, or voltage seperately???

Then also, My graphics card has the utility to up the Core and Memory speeds.
Standard, this card is a 450MHz core, 500 MHz Memory. Does this mean my memory runs at 1000MHZ because it's DDR, Or is it running 250MHz, and 500 at Dual data rate?

I have played around with these two a bit, and have gotten better 3DMark scores. I will post some scores below.

OK, as said, I get 2500 with the standard system.

some other scores:

CPU 3.306GHz
CGA Core @ 460
Memory @ 520 ==== 2631

CPU 3.306GHz
CGA Core @ 470
Memory @ 533 ==== 2697

CPU 3.306GHz
CGA Core @ 480
Memory @ 550 ==== 2784

OK, so when do I stop? do I first do the core till it restarts then the mem, or what? is there some kind of rule, so for every mhz core to add 3 mhz mem, or something???

What do you suggest is the best way to do this???

I am playing around, so any help would be appreciated. Any other tips welcome.

Thanks

thelostchild

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I wouldnt say prehistoric, I'm still running an Athalon XP 2400+, with a Geforce MX4000, so your system would be an upgrade compared with mine :D

Darkwhisperer

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Dude, your equipment kicks mines ass...

Overclocking is best done in the BIOS. Read the sticky's in the Overclocking forum. Different hardware, but its the principle thats important & the same.

Well, it could be a few things thats causing your PC to stop working at 3.4GHz.
(1) The CPU doesnt have enough voltage, and so you need to up your CPU voltage.
(2) The Chipset doesnt have enough voltage, and to you need to up the Chipset voltage.

Are you sure the app adjusts the voltage?

To get significant overclocks, you'll need after-market cooling. The stock fan for your CPU wont cut it. Especially once you start upping your voltage.

Be very careful when upping your Graphics Card clocks and memory... Theres no temperature monitoring for it, so theres a higher chance of damaging your hardware.

Good luck!

TBlaar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
thanks doods

my CPU is still running very nice and cool.
the voltage might be the thing, not sure if the app changes it, but i can in the bios, i know.

so, what should the voltages be? and by how much can you set it???

also, on the graphics card, the 550 mem, does that mean 1100 in ddr mode??? or is 550 the ddr reading?

Darkwhisperer

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Not actually sure about the Graphics memory speed...

Theres no set voltage or setting. I mean what fan are you using? What batch of CPU's did your CPU come from? Whats the max speed on your CPU? When will you need to up your chipset voltage and to how much? What voltage can your RAM handle? Does the RAM have enough cooling?

Theres tons of variables. Each system is different. Which is why overclocking is an incremental process. Even the same hardware is different. Two people may buy the exact same hardware, but their overclocking potential may be worlds apart.

Theres only one solution. Read the guides. Browse the forums. Read up what helped other people. And when you're confident, give it a shot.

TBlaar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
thanks man...

thing is, i'm too lazy...

i want someone to tell me '' hey dude, try putting your voltage up by .05 volts, mem by 10 mhz, etc etc...

i can carry on in my way, but then i will never know how far i could have gone.....

Darkwhisperer

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Thats exactly what the guides are good for... They'll tell you how much to increase your voltage by. They'll tell you what apps to use and for how long, to ensure your system is stable. Etc...

So give it a shot.

TBlaar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
no, i will try and incrementally increase the fsb and voltage, until i hear a poof sound and see a cloud.

so, i will have to increase it in small amount, boot into windows to test with all the apps, and then reboot, change in bios, and do the same?????

my friend has his gfx card, same as mine, running at 510 core / 570 mem.
getting just over 3000 points. i will be happy only if i can beat him...