Case fans.

Seifer

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm looking to get some new 120mm case fans. I'm looking for something that will move tons of air. I need 4 fans. Right now I am looking to get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999344
for my Thermaltake SI-120 CPU cooler. My buddy says its loud but so are the ones that came with my case but I can't hear them. So I wish if I were to get 5 of those is it really going to be so loud I won't be able to hear my games through the headphones? If it is can someone direct to some new fans. Red Led if possible. I was looking at the thermaltake thunderblades but they aren't 21dba at full rpm more like 50dba so its just as loud.

My buddy also says you don't need alot of CFM for my case if I'm going to have a new vga cooler and a cpu cooler. If this is true let me know what fans I should get. I will be doing some Overclocking as well. I have right now a AMD Athlong 64 3000+ but I will be getting an AMD Athlong 64 3800+ Socket AM2. So let me know guys I wan't to be cool and quiet any input is appreciated.

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
If you are going to want to move tonns of air, first, learn a nice setup for your computer. In my experience it seems best to have as many exuast fans as possible with a nice side / front fan blowing air in. Now, 120mm fans usualy have good CFM even at low rpm. But if you decide to pump the fan up to it's max, yea it may be loud, no you will still hear the game, and you wont get much better outta any other fan that you throw at full tilt. Like I said though, you just need a good setup. You do not want to get conflicting airflows and create heat pockets because thats just as bad as not having any fans. I would say keep a top fan on exaust (if you have one) the back fan(s) by the CPU as exaust, 1-2 side case fans as intake, and probably another one on te front of the case if you have one as intake. If you really want to try something else, i can think of a few good PCI slot (just fit in there) dual fan coolers out there that will help along the way.

The one suggestion I have, is getting a set of Stealth case fan. These things have double ball bearings with lifetime warrenties, they all have speed detection and are incredibly silent for me so far. Running at 2000 rpm my 80mm's are goin at 27CFM and a low 21 dBA, the website for them i think is www.vantecusa.com check them out. They work for me ^^

I'm looking to get some new 120mm case fans. I'm looking for something that will move tons of air. I need 4 fans. Right now I am looking to get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999344
for my Thermaltake SI-120 CPU cooler. My buddy says its loud but so are the ones that came with my case but I can't hear them. So I wish if I were to get 5 of those is it really going to be so loud I won't be able to hear my games through the headphones? If it is can someone direct to some new fans. Red Led if possible. I was looking at the thermaltake thunderblades but they aren't 21dba at full rpm more like 50dba so its just as loud.

My buddy also says you don't need alot of CFM for my case if I'm going to have a new vga cooler and a cpu cooler. If this is true let me know what fans I should get. I will be doing some Overclocking as well. I have right now a AMD Athlong 64 3000+ but I will be getting an AMD Athlong 64 3800+ Socket AM2. So let me know guys I wan't to be cool and quiet any input is appreciated.

Seifer

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
For modding my case for better cooling I was thinking of drilling some holes at the bottem of my case and use it for intake to blow directly onto my 7600gt. It will cool the Card signicantly more even with my Zalman vf900 heatsink on it. I have a PCI exhaust fan as well to help make the video card cooler. I will have a 120mm blowing directly on to my cpu to help cool my CPU along with my ThermalRight SI-120. I have a 120mm fan intake in the front, 120mm exhaust in the back and 120mm exhaust top. Do you guys think this setup could get anybetter?

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Doesn't sound like it. Seems like you got a good setup already.

For modding my case for better cooling I was thinking of drilling some holes at the bottem of my case and use it for intake to blow directly onto my 7600gt. It will cool the Card signicantly more even with my Zalman vf900 heatsink on it. I have a PCI exhaust fan as well to help make the video card cooler. I will have a 120mm blowing directly on to my cpu to help cool my CPU along with my ThermalRight SI-120. I have a 120mm fan intake in the front, 120mm exhaust in the back and 120mm exhaust top. Do you guys think this setup could get anybetter?

shalpin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I would watch trying to install a fan on the bottom of the case. You will be sucking in a lot of dust and debris becuase we all know how computers are dust magnets. I have 1 120mm intake in the front. One side exhausting fan for the cpu. The VGA exhausting and another 120mm on the back running in low.

Try this fan out for size it has a speed adjuster that you can put in one of your spare pci slots.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999122

skinnyjoint

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
hey guys, id like to join in on this discussion if i may. I am building a new pc soon, and i my case will have 2x120 mm fans in the rear and 1x120 mm fan in the front.
My question is, these fans that are speed controllable are hooked up via 3 pin connectors on the mobo right? well i doubt i will have 3 of them + 1 for my hsf on the chip. So if i dont plug them up to be adjustable to speed then will they blow at max speed? or low speed?

Basically i could care less about adjusting speed i just want a good fan that moves lots of air and isnt to loud (obviously what everyone wants) i was thinking about those thunderblades, but dont know because i will have 3 and people say there loud.....

please reccomendations

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Fans will run at full bore if not connected to a controller of some sort. either in-line or from the MB connector/BIOS. I have 3 fan plugins on my MB besides the one for the CPU.

Seifer, *5* 12cm fans? That thing must make a breeze when you turn it on. If your cooling needs are that massive you might want to look at water. And I agree with the previous post about a floor mounted intake. You'll just be sucking in whatever is on the floor.

skinnyjoint

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
so if im running 3 120cm what would be a good look at cfm or whatever that measurement is of moving air. i obviously want to keep kinda quiet so whats a good reccomendation

Seifer

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Its not that my cooling needs that. I just want that lol. But my case doesn't sit on the floor its ontop of my big ol' loyal desk. Soon getting a desk with a place to put my cp (with a door) lol. The thing is I don't have those fans yet just the case though I need to get fans to fit it before I put my mobo cpu....etc in there. Thats why I was asking if you guys know of a few good fans that aren't loud and will keep me at like 30 degrees