EBuyGum

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Hi,

I have an Asus 8N-E mobo which was running fine with OCZ 1GB (2x512MB) DDR PC-3200 Premier Dual Channel Kit.

I've sinced purchased the OCZ 1GB (2X512) PC3200 Platinum edition and installed this (to take my pc to 2GB). However, on switching on the pc, my screen is completely blank.

If I take out the Premier kit and put the platinum in its place - all works normally which would indicate the memory is fine.

As soon as I put all four in though - blank screen.

Here's the Premier spec :

OCZ Premier Dual Channel Kit - memory - 1 GB ( 2 x 512 MB ) - DIMM 184-PIN - DDR
Storage Capacity 1 GB ( 2 x 512 MB )
Technology DDR SDRAM
Form Factor DIMM 184-PIN
Memory Speed 400 MHz ( PC3200 )
CAS Latency CL 2.5-3-3-7
Features Copper heatsink , unbuffered
Supply Voltage 2.6 V

and the Platinum spec :

OCZ Platinum 1GB PC3200 DDR Kit
Manufacturer OCZ TECHNOLOGY
Buffered No
Bus speed (mhz) 400MHz DDR
Cas latency CL 2-3-2-5
Size 1Gb
Speed PC3200
Type 184pin DIMM Memory
Voltage 2.6

(actually.. the company I bought this from are advertising it with a CL of 2.5 - which is why I bought it - to match the Premier pair.. but it seems it has a CL of 2 - not 2.5).

I'm running a 3700+ san diego and and a sapphire GTO2. Coolings fine.. and I've installed the mem sticks in the correct slots. All the mobo settings are on default at the moment (i.e. mostly auto).

Any ideas why I'm having this problem? Any advice very much appreciated!

Darren

A1e3m

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I have the same problem when i put in my Mushkin PC 2700 Dual Channel DDR memory... 1 Gig, 2x 512

When i put it in and power up my rig, the screen is totally black and the light on the monitor blinks......When i put in the old memory, it powers up fine and loads to windows just fine...

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 2.4 GHZ P4 for about 3 years now...
I dont know what mobo it is, never checked...

Any suggestions?

Mondoman

Splendid
I couldn't quickly find a link to your MB (perhaps you could post one?). Assuming that your MB has 4 DIMM slots and supports dual channel mode, make sure you have spread the two pairs across the two channels. Often, 1st channel will be the 1st two slots, 2nd channel the 2nd two slots, in which case put 1 Premier in slot 1, 1 Premier in slot 3, 1 Plat in slot 2 and the other Plat in slot 4. If this doesn't work, put both Premiers in slots 1 and 2, and the Plats in slots 3 and 4.
Another possibility is that the system is trying to use 1T timing instead of 2T with all 4 modules in place. Go into the BIOS (with only 2 DIMMs installed) and manually set 2T timing. Then, add the other two modules and see if that works.
Not sure of your problem, just some ideas...

PS - it doesn't hurt to try OCZ and Asus tech support.