Windows 2000 cannot boot up

When I start my Windows 2000, the blue screen display with
message saying that the
file "Winnt\system\config\software" corrupted. How can I
fix this? Or do I need to reinstall the Windows 2000?
Please help.
1 answer Last reply
More about windows 2000 boot

    If the software hive is corrupt, it may be possible to rename the software
    hive found in;
    %windir%\system32\config\software
    to software.old
    then copy the most recent backup found in
    %windir%\repair\regback
    as
    %windir%\system32\config\software

    If that fails you can copy/ use the file
    %windir%\repair\software
    This file is an image of the hive at the time the OS was installed, so you'd
    have to reinstall all software. This being the case you might just as well
    blow it away and start a new install. (note: this would at least allow you
    to start the OS to make any necessary backups prior to wiping the drive.)

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
    Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
    not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer:
    %systemroot% and %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Ryan" wrote:
    | When I start my Windows 2000, the blue screen display with
    | message saying that the
    | file "Winnt\system\config\software" corrupted. How can I
    | fix this? Or do I need to reinstall the Windows 2000?
    | Please help.

Windows 2000 Windows