P5W DH Post Problems..update

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I have the Core 2 6800 with the updated bios chip from Asus. I turn the comp on, runs 5 secs, turns back off. I have changed power supplies, same thing. I also took the mobo out of the case, used both power supplies, and nothing. Same thing, no matter what I hook up, no matter what I do. 1 stick of ram, no vid card, vid card same, 5 secs and off. Pull the cpu, turns on most of the time and runs, sometimes it turns back off (a fan I had hooked up). Asus is blaming the cpu, anyone else have this problem? Or even heard of this problem?

I have an ATI 1900xt, 2gb kingston ddr2 667, wd 400gb sata, 700w ps, C2D 6800, if this helps at all.

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Now top it off with Microcenter saying its fine, I have no idea. I took up my cpu, mobo, and mem. Could it be something to do with the case power ground?

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
for some reason last night, with the mobo out of the case, I got it to boot up, and installed windows. Pleased to finally see it working. Now, I put the board in the case, flip the switch, some prob, on and off in 5 secs. So it seems to be a grounding issue I guess. Do you put washers on the top and bottom? I have no idea where the issue is, and not 100% how to keep the bottom ones in place while putting the mobo back in. Any suggestions?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
This sounds like a classic case of the mounting screws or posts causing a short on the motherboard. Maybe a screw on top is overlapping the bare solder pad and shorting to a foil line. The washers are put on TOP with them only being put on the bottom for particular areas where examination of the board shows a possible site for shorting. For the current quick shutdown problem loosen all the mounting screws and try again.
Oh, to mount the washers UNDER the board, either a tiny bit of sticky gunk can be used to hold the washers on the board, or place a bit of sleeving in each mounting pillar, slip the washer over that, and drop the mb into position, then carefully remove each bit of sleeve as you put the screw in that hole.

Canuckk

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
I actually had this same problem with the board. I had it running fine for a few hours until i turned my case on its side to put in another harddrive. It would turn on and then off again and would not post. I eventually disassembled it all outside of the case, reassembled, and it booted with no problems. I cut out some cardboard and wedged it between all the standoffs and the board and since then I've had no problems.

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
It happened with all the scews in, and it happend with no screw in. I was thinking the same thing, so I took them all out. I will have to look at the board when I get home, maybe place a piece of cardboard under the mobo in the case and see what happens... it was late when I did this last night, didnt think about the bottom :? This is my 1st full build, so Im still learing. Thanks guys for the feedback...

mapex

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2005
did you put all the standoffs in or just the ones that matched the holes on the board? I remember my first build a few years ago, I put a standoff in every single hole, tried to post and it wouldn't work, then I remembered that metal conducts electricity, doh! So I'd take the board out and make sure you only have the ones in you need and if that's the case, try some rubber or plastic washers, or like someone else suggested, cardboard would work as well

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Nope, just 3 of them. Went to Best Buy, worthless, and ended up at Home Depot to get the washers. Took mobo out, and figured while its out, lets plug it in, and see if she starts. And...........NO! Same thing on and off in 5 secs. Its sitting on a piece of cardboard. I have no clue whats going on.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Nope, just 3 of them. Went to Best Buy, worthless, and ended up at Home Depot to get the washers. Took mobo out, and figured while its out, lets plug it in, and see if she starts. And...........NO! Same thing on and off in 5 secs. Its sitting on a piece of cardboard. I have no clue whats going on.

Uh oh, cracked board? It happens. Try removing and reseating the CPU, it's rare that that would be the issue but just the other day I changed the cooler on my P4, taking out the CPU to clean off the compound in the process, and afterwards it would develop errors and bluescreens until I reinstalled the 775-land chip - the tiniest bit of dirt on a critical pin probably. Shut down rather than reboot can be caused by bad memory also. Try reseating the dimms.

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Lord I hope not, was hard enough to find the board. This is also my 3rd board. I might cry if I need another one :cry: lol I dropped it off at Microcenter, since they were the first people to get it to boot to begin with. I have been messing with this for 2 weeks now, and no luck. Im sure you all know how extremely frustrating this is. I have only been on this comp once, so I havent been blessed with the blue screen of death. At this point, I would be happy to at least see that. I have gone from everything installed to just the board multiple times. Asus had me do that a couple times to see if it was the board, or the chip. Will let u all know what MC says.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
I have the Core 2 6800 with the updated bios chip from Asus. I turn the comp on, runs 5 secs, turns back off. I have changed power supplies, same thing. I also took the mobo out of the case, used both power supplies, and nothing. Same thing, no matter what I hook up, no matter what I do. 1 stick of ram, no vid card, vid card same, 5 secs and off. Pull the cpu, turns on most of the time and runs, sometimes it turns back off (a fan I had hooked up). Asus is blaming the cpu, anyone else have this problem? Or even heard of this problem?

I have an ATI 1900xt, 2gb kingston ddr2 667, wd 400gb sata, 700w ps, C2D 6800, if this helps at all.

the BIOS chip they sent you was at least version 901 huh? You need at least 901 for a C2E.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

the BIOS chip they sent you was at least version 901 huh? You need at least 901 for a C2E.

If it were a Bios problem it wouldn't EVER work, but it has booted sometimes, an intermittent. Having said that it would be a good idea to try a non-conroe CPU to see if that works, since the Bios can't be upgraded to Conroe-capable using a Conroe chip.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

If it were a Bios problem it wouldn't EVER work, but it has booted sometimes, an intermittent. Having said that it would be a good idea to try a non-conroe CPU to see if that works, since the Bios can't be upgraded to Conroe-capable using a Conroe chip.

You're actually wrong about that, you can. I DID with my own build. ;) went from 403 to 801 using my E6700 to boot it. People just don't know what they're doing when they say you can't do it. As soon as you boot you press ALT+F2 and it will flash (with a conroe in the board) from a floppy or USB key.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

[You're actually wrong about that, you can. I DID with my own build. ;) went from 403 to 801 using my E6700 to boot it. People just don't know what they're doing when they say you can't do it. As soon as you boot you press ALT+F2 and it will flash (with a conroe in the board) from a floppy or USB key.

Ah well, silly me, I was only quoting what Asus says about their own motherboards, that it has to be Conroe-ready in Bios or flashed with a regular P4. Sorry, I guess Asus doesn't know what they're talking about. :oops: We have to determine yet if the P5W DOES have at least the 901 bios for his Core 2 Extreme. The latest Bios is 1201.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

[You're actually wrong about that, you can. I DID with my own build. ;) went from 403 to 801 using my E6700 to boot it. People just don't know what they're doing when they say you can't do it. As soon as you boot you press ALT+F2 and it will flash (with a conroe in the board) from a floppy or USB key.

Ah well, silly me, I was only quoting what Asus says about their own motherboards, that it has to be Conroe-ready in Bios or flashed with a regular P4. Sorry, I guess Asus doesn't know what they're talking about. :oops: We have to determine yet if the P5W DOES have at least the 901 bios for his Core 2 Extreme. The latest Bios is 1201.

You're absolutely right, they don't know what they're talking about on their own site. Honestly, they put that sentance out there too stop people who are too stupid to know what they're doing from attempting to Flash their BIOS and possibly mess up the board and have to RMA it. It's just another example of companies trying to protect people from themselves. the bottom line is YOU CAN DO IT. I'VE DONE IT.

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Well kids, I got my comp back last night... AND IT WORKS! First I want to thank everyone that has helped me out. What sucks is I was close to finding the problem, but I never had the right power switch. You were right about the case, but it was the wires in the case that was shorting it out. Hence why it worked once, the wires were prob touching right. Once I moved the case, it moved the wires. What a simple problem, and a total pain in the arse.

Thanks everyone, now time to install everything... :D

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Well kids, I got my comp back last night... AND IT WORKS! First I want to thank everyone that has helped me out. What sucks is I was close to finding the problem, but I never had the right power switch. You were right about the case, but it was the wires in the case that was shorting it out. Hence why it worked once, the wires were prob touching right. Once I moved the case, it moved the wires. What a simple problem, and a total pain in the arse.

Thanks everyone, now time to install everything... :D

Now I'm gritting my teeth, because just recently my P4 would boot then shut down, accompanied by a burning smell, and it turned out to be a pinched wire to one of the fans shorting to the case. I should have mentioned that one right off. Oh well :lol: It's great your spanking new system now works, enjoy it.. 8)

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Now I'm gritting my teeth, because just recently my P4 would boot then shut down, accompanied by a burning smell, and it turned out to be a pinched wire to one of the fans shorting to the case. I should have mentioned that one right off. Oh well :lol: It's great your spanking new system now works, enjoy it.. 8)

No worries, live and learn. I have installed a mobo once before this, now, Im a pro! lol The case wires were the last thing on my mind. What sucks is I have 2 old cases, and borrowed the power switch from them, but they were the wrong connectors. Prob would have figured it out then. I also forgot how long it took to install everything...

Since my bro-in-law got a new comp, and was telling me how great his was, I am blaming all of this on him. Its all his fault! :twisted: