W2k - extracting files

Hi,
Can anyone help me please?

I am building a new w2k PC and during the process I've
caught a virus, specifically w32.valla.2048. Norton A/V
detected the virus and reported that it couldn't repair it.

Eventually, it ended up in the Quarantine folder,
reporting that the infected file was smssl.exe. The report
gave me 2 options delete or ignore, so I deleted it.

This is my first experience of virus infection, and on
reflection I may have done the wrong thing.

So my question is this - how do I now extract smssl.exe
from the W2k CD to replace the file I deleted?

I would appreciate a quick answer. I've searched the w2k
knowledge base and couldn't find an answer.

regards

len walshe
1 answer Last reply
More about extracting files

    Theres probably no need to extract/restore the file.
    IF yr AV detected the virus it would be before any damage was done.
    When Norton detects a virus the process, apart from giving you the options
    to repair/delete, gives a direct link to Norton site, which in turn gives
    specific details.
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.valla.2048.html
    To repair sys files in win2k, see help/scanow (Restore sys files)

    "len" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Can anyone help me please?
    >
    > I am building a new w2k PC and during the process I've
    > caught a virus, specifically w32.valla.2048. Norton A/V
    > detected the virus and reported that it couldn't repair it.
    >
    > Eventually, it ended up in the Quarantine folder,
    > reporting that the infected file was smssl.exe. The report
    > gave me 2 options delete or ignore, so I deleted it.
    >
    > This is my first experience of virus infection, and on
    > reflection I may have done the wrong thing.
    >
    > So my question is this - how do I now extract smssl.exe
    > from the W2k CD to replace the file I deleted?
    >
    > I would appreciate a quick answer. I've searched the w2k
    > knowledge base and couldn't find an answer.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > len walshe

Virus File System Windows