W2k - extracting files

Len

Hi,
Can anyone help me please?

I am building a new w2k PC and during the process I've
caught a virus, specifically w32.valla.2048. Norton A/V
detected the virus and reported that it couldn't repair it.

Eventually, it ended up in the Quarantine folder,
reporting that the infected file was smssl.exe. The report
gave me 2 options delete or ignore, so I deleted it.

This is my first experience of virus infection, and on
reflection I may have done the wrong thing.

So my question is this - how do I now extract smssl.exe
from the W2k CD to replace the file I deleted?

I would appreciate a quick answer. I've searched the w2k
knowledge base and couldn't find an answer.

regards

len walshe

dl

Theres probably no need to extract/restore the file.
IF yr AV detected the virus it would be before any damage was done.
When Norton detects a virus the process, apart from giving you the options
to repair/delete, gives a direct link to Norton site, which in turn gives
specific details.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.valla.2048.html
To repair sys files in win2k, see help/scanow (Restore sys files)