Striped Volumes

I currently have W2K running on an older COMPAQ Proliant
DL380 with an integrated Array Controller. I have
configure the controller to re-configure the 3-drive
array from RAID 5 to RAID 0. According to the most
recent Array Configurator from HP, this was a successful
task.

However, under W2K Disk Management, I have a 2-Disk
Volume and my third disk is "Unallocated Free Space".
The disk system is running "Basic" Disk with NTSF. How
can I get W2K to recognize that I have a 3-disk striped
(RAID 0) volume? Do I need to convert from "Basic" to
Dynamic"?
2 answers Last reply
More about striped volumes

    You'll need to do this in controller bios. Note that raid zero may be best
    for performance but offers no fault tolerance. Any one drive fails and
    you've lost it all.

    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=talk_about_raid1&type=Guides

    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?prodkey=quick_explanation_of_raid

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "James Wong" wrote:
    | I currently have W2K running on an older COMPAQ Proliant
    | DL380 with an integrated Array Controller. I have
    | configure the controller to re-configure the 3-drive
    | array from RAID 5 to RAID 0. According to the most
    | recent Array Configurator from HP, this was a successful
    | task.
    |
    | However, under W2K Disk Management, I have a 2-Disk
    | Volume and my third disk is "Unallocated Free Space".
    | The disk system is running "Basic" Disk with NTSF. How
    | can I get W2K to recognize that I have a 3-disk striped
    | (RAID 0) volume? Do I need to convert from "Basic" to
    | Dynamic"?

    I understand that RAID 0 does not have any fault tolerance. But this is only
    going to be use as a Symantec Ghost Server and nothing more.

    james wong

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > You'll need to do this in controller bios. Note that raid zero may be best
    > for performance but offers no fault tolerance. Any one drive fails and
    > you've lost it all.
    >
    > http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=talk_about_raid1&type=Guides
    >
    > http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?prodkey=quick_explanation_of_raid
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "James Wong" wrote:
    > | I currently have W2K running on an older COMPAQ Proliant
    > | DL380 with an integrated Array Controller. I have
    > | configure the controller to re-configure the 3-drive
    > | array from RAID 5 to RAID 0. According to the most
    > | recent Array Configurator from HP, this was a successful
    > | task.
    > |
    > | However, under W2K Disk Management, I have a 2-Disk
    > | Volume and my third disk is "Unallocated Free Space".
    > | The disk system is running "Basic" Disk with NTSF. How
    > | can I get W2K to recognize that I have a 3-disk striped
    > | (RAID 0) volume? Do I need to convert from "Basic" to
    > | Dynamic"?

NAS / RAID Configuration Windows