Merom, Core 2 Duo, Core Duo, Pentiun M

lorthus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I'm thinking about getting a laptop and I've always been an AMD customer since I've always had desktops and they've always been either cheaper or faster but for laptops I guess I'm gonna go with Intel so heres a few questions:

Is Core Duo like the ones that Dell sells the same as Core 2 Duo? or are Core 2 Duo only for desktops?
What is exactly " MEROM" and when will it be avaiable for sale ?
Is there anything coming out within the next 3 weeks that would be worth making me wait to get a laptop ???
Are the Turion X2 worth a shot?

thanks

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I'm thinking about getting a laptop and I've always been an AMD customer since I've always had desktops and they've always been either cheaper or faster but for laptops I guess I'm gonna go with Intel so heres a few questions:

Is Core Duo like the ones that Dell sells the same as Core 2 Duo? or are Core 2 Duo only for desktops?
Is there anything coming out within the next 3 weeks that would be worth making me wait to get a laptop ???

thanks

Core Duo = Yonah.
Merom = Core 2 Duo for laptops
Check out: THG Mobility Page for any laptop questions, or even Anandtech's Mobility Page.

The Turion X2's aren't bad. THG has a article on them here: Turion X2 article.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Are the Core 2 Duo for laptops on sale yet ???

Dell, HP, Levono, and Compaq are offering them, same with Alienware. You just have to configure them with the Core 2 Duo.

*edit*

Levono is not offering them.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Yes, some Dell models can already be equipped with C2Ds for as little as a $80/$90 upgrade... sure, it's not the top model, but it's still a C2D. Check out their e1405 to get an idea of the pricing scheme.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

thanks

Core was the first generation of the Core architechture, Core 2 is the improved version of Core (why they didn't immediately port Core to the desktop is beyond me). So no they are not the same (more like a first-gen P4 vs a last-gen P4).

Core 2 has been released for laptops, but right now they are the most expensive chips available. AMD does not pose a particularly strong threat to Intel in the laptop field so Intel isn't dropping prices very much on P4-M and Core 1.

Merom is the Core 2 laptop core. It is available right now.

Nothing is coming out AFAIK that would be worth waiting for.

Turions are good and should be perfectly capable of providing and excellent experience.

Personally I wouldn't buy a Core 2 laptop, the price premium is not worth it given the handicap of using other laptop parts. I would go for a high-end Core Duo and spend the money I saved by adding to RAM or video capacity.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Update: I just looked at some benchmarks, a Turion X2 64 is usually behind a Core Duo of the same clock speed, when the Turion wins it's usually by a smaller margin then when it's behind. But they perform quite closely (practically rounding errors most of the time).

This means that a Core 2 of the same clock speed would probably handily win any contest.

EDIT: Core uses less power (and thus has longer battery life).

[/quote]

Core 2 has been released for laptops, but right now they are the most expensive chips available. AMD does not pose a particularly strong threat to Intel in the laptop field so Intel isn't dropping prices very much on P4-M and Core 1.

Merom is the Core 2 laptop core. It is available right now.

Nothing is coming out AFAIK that would be worth waiting for.

Turions are good and should be perfectly capable of providing and excellent experience.

Personally I wouldn't buy a Core 2 laptop, the price premium is not worth it given the handicap of using other laptop parts. I would go for a high-end Core Duo and spend the money I saved by adding to RAM or video capacity.[/quote]

I bought a Dell XPS M1710 in April with Core Duo T2500 2.0 GHz, and including 2 gigs 667MHz DDR2, 512MB 7900GTX, 80 gig 7200 rpm drive, spare exploding battery :p , funky backpack etc for about $3800.

Last week my daughter absconded with it to start college :( .

Yesterday I ordered the identical system except with T4700 Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 100 gig 7200 rpm drive, SB Audigy HD, no 2nd battery or backpack for less than $3500. The spare battery & backpack in the first system total about $160, and the larger drive and SB Audigy in the 2nd system add $70 to the price, so I figure I got over $200 discount on an upgraded processor, some 4 months later.

Last time I checked I didn't have any spare kids so this system & my wallet are safe for now :D .

lorthus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Dell only has the E1405 or the E1705 avaiable with the Core 2 Duo, one is too big and the other one has a very weak graphic card...
Can any1 supply me a link to a Core 2 Duo laptop with a reasonable price so I could configure it the way I want it, thanks

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Last time I checked I didn't have any spare kids so this system & my wallet are safe for now :D .

lol thats what "kids" do. Ive "borrowed" two of my dads computers in the past, poor guy. Sucks to be over the age of 30. Although, I think you will be pleased with the equivilant of an E6400 instead, much nicer. Hopefully you will use it for more than doing regular dad stuff, writing leters, checking email etc :wink: :twisted: :lol: