Sign in with
Your question

HDD Dilemma

Last response: in Storage
August 30, 2006 5:18:15 PM

Hey guys, I need some help in making this decision.

I currently own a WD2500JS 8MB SATA II.

Now here's the question.....
I want to do a RAID0 config and can't decide which one to go with:

Buy another WD2500JS and do those two,

or

Buy 2x 40GB or smthing HDD and use those for RAID and put my windows on there, and keep the 250GB for storage.

The WD2500JS is now $70 and two decent 40GB drives will set me back about $85.

Any Ideas?
Thanx in advance

More about : hdd dilemma

August 31, 2006 1:59:53 PM

You can work it any way you want. The raid0 would work better on a faster drive or something like 16mb cache. Or many a single Rapotor for around 110. I would not recommend running a raid 0 on the current WD drives you have though, performance gain is not the greatest as opposed to similar drives at that price.
August 31, 2006 5:30:45 PM

Quote:
I would not recommend running a raid 0 on the current WD drives you have though, performance gain is not the greatest as opposed to similar drives at that price.

Is this drive concidered to be slow??? I know it's not a raptor but i think that there are no real world gains between 8MB and 16MB cache. At least not like 2MB and 8MB. I had a look at the HDD chart and it seems that the top performers (raptors aside) are 8MB drives constantly.

Another question. Is NCQ worth it? I know it speeds up read operations with a bit of a cpu overhead. Is there any real world difference??
Related resources
August 31, 2006 5:39:00 PM

No your, right aside from Raptor's your drives are fine, for whatever reason I didn't notice those drives had a 8mb cache.
As for what I've read and understand about NCQ, NCQ really helps when it's in a server environment, it degrades single user performance.

Check this benchmark out.
August 31, 2006 7:41:40 PM

Thanks man. I wasn't entirely sure about NCQ. That benchmark was spot on.
!