refresh rate question bought an 850 dollar monitor

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • CRT Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2006 6:38:21 PM

I purchased a diamond pro 2070sb mitsubishi super bright diamondtron crt i think its 22 inch monitor cost me 850.00. It is suppose to have a 100 and higher refresh rate but when the box is checked that says hide modes that this monitor cant display it only lets me have a 85 refresh rate. I play fps games and need every benefit i can get I would like to uncheck that box and raise to manufacturer specs but im not sure that would be wise.Does anyone know if it would be safe to do i dont want to burn up an 850 dollar monitor.

More about : refresh rate question bought 850 dollar monitor

September 3, 2006 2:11:50 AM

ur eyes cant see that fast so id be willing to be im pretty sure 85hz is enough. altho u could un cheack it i would not try it. do u really need it to go that fast?

75 is fine for most things...
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 3, 2006 2:46:59 AM

Do you have the correct driver installed or does device manager show plug-n-play monitor? You need to have the correct driver installed for windows to know what it can support.

Also, check the manual to see if it actually supports 100hz at the resolution you have it set at. Usually the higher the resolution, the lower the refresh rate.
Related resources
September 3, 2006 4:23:02 AM

Quote:
I purchased a diamond pro 2070sb mitsubishi super bright diamondtron crt i think its 22 inch monitor cost me 850.00. It is suppose to have a 100 and higher refresh rate but when the box is checked that says hide modes that this monitor cant display it only lets me have a 85 refresh rate. I play fps games and need every benefit i can get I would like to uncheck that box and raise to manufacturer specs but im not sure that would be wise.Does anyone know if it would be safe to do i dont want to burn up an 850 dollar monitor.

I used to have the same problem twice, for two factors:
1. An old video card that was crap (not likely your case)
2. My monitor had a problem and I sent it to Holland to get it fixed. But when I got it back, I had no DCC functionality at all (Display Combination Code, I think). (That may be your problem).

One case for your problem is with some Catalyst drivers, having an option about it.
And last there's a case that pins 5&7 may be missing on the VGA cable or on the DVI dongle.

Anyway, check all the above and if all fail, uncheck the hide modes that this monitor cannot display. (worked for me running 120hz @ 1024)

Quote:
ur eyes cant see that fast so id be willing to be im pretty sure 85hz is enough. altho u could un cheack it i would not try it. do u really need it to go that fast?

75 is fine for most things...

My friend,
Did you mean to say this?
85hz is the bare minimum for any conscious CRT user.
75hz is just for screensavers use. I mean, it's better that 60hz, but you are not going to use it anywhere.
Manufacturers highest optimum resolution is never less than 80-84hz.
September 3, 2006 5:17:01 AM

Quote:

My friend,
Did you mean to say this?
85hz is the bare minimum for any conscious CRT user.
75hz is just for screensavers use. I mean, it's better that 60hz, but you are not going to use it anywhere.
Manufacturers highest optimum resolution is never less than 80-84hz.

ive never had a problem with 75hz on a CRT. even when my old 486 screen would only run 1024 @ 60hz it wasnt too bad. (wasnt great tho)
my TFT is fu.cking rock solid at 75hz. 4ms g2g and its wonderful.
i think alot is in the mind.
September 3, 2006 5:51:53 AM

aaah but at higher resolutions better refresh rates become more important.

At 1024*768, at 60Hz, the electron gun spends (1/60)/768 seconds or 21 microseconds on each line, getting the phosphor to temperature for it to glow untill its return, 16 miliseconds later.

At 1600*1200, at 60Hz, the electron gun spends (1/60)/1200 seconds or 14 microseconds on each line, and returns to that line 16 miliseconds later.

It is not about how many frames are seen by the human eye per second, its about the fact that the higher resolution you go, the less 'energy' the phosphor coating has to last it untill the electron gun sweeps over it again, meaning it starts to 'dim' by that time, and that is what causes flicker.

I personally cant use a CRT monitor below 85Hz without massive Eyestrain.

Yes, a TFT will be 'Rock Fing Solid' at 75Hz, thats because the pizels are each constantly powered and do not flicker. However the cost is dear, even your 4ms display is 100 times slower in terms of responsiveness and afterglow than a CRT, you have a set resolution, less brightness, small viewing angle, smaller colour palet, and you likely have an 'overdrive' system that decreases colour accuracy even more. There are disadvantages to each system, and a TFT that supports 2048x1536 like his CRT would cost you a fortune.

To the original poster:

ALL high end CRTs will simply tell you the freqency is out of scan range if you set it too high, and will not break. You simply wait 15 seconds and, as you have not accepted it, windows resets your old settings.

I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920, and if I leave 'hide modes my monitor cannot display' ticked, it will only allow 85Hz @ 1280x960, yet without that ticked it runs fabulously at 100Hz. Go ahead and try it.
November 11, 2006 12:23:07 PM

Thx for the info man,

I bought this monitor for the high resolution it offers first and the high refresh rates second. I cannot watch a monitor at 60htz it kills my eyes. 70 or 75 is a little better but 85 is my minimum for refresh rates. I wasnt sure if i even needed to raise it but thx to your post i learned the answer to my question
today.
I also wanted to mention that when i called tech support for this monitor they told me it was a video card problem which was bullshiit imho. They said my videocard couldnt support it which i have an x800xt platinum msi card that i paid over 500 dollars for. I always buy the best video card when i upgrade my video card. they were no help and didnt seem to want to help me.
!