Sign in with
Your question

A call for opinions.

Last response: in Systems
August 30, 2006 6:54:25 PM

Sorry, I know a fair few people have been asking this sort of question and so I am hoping you are not all bored of answering. However, I am now at the stage where I need to upgrade my aging PC.

Its been about 3 years since I went through the long process of deciding which components to buy so Im a little out of touch. Its use will primarily be for games.

Anyway, here is what I am looking at so far. I would really appreciate any comments.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 S775, 2.40Ghz, 1066Mhz FSB, Conroe Core, 4M Cache Retail - £239.69

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe WiFi i975X, S775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533 / 667 /800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX - £146.28

2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC6400 (800), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12, EPP - £169.20

256MB Sapphire Radeon X1900 GT PCI-E (x16) 1200MHz GDDR3 GPU 575MHz 36 Pipes CrossFire - £141.82

250 Gb Western Digital WD2500YD Caviar RE, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.9 ms - £56.22

480W Tagan 2Force SLi Ultra Quiet 21db Also support 12v EPS/SATA/XEON 3 Years Warranty ATX/BTX - £56.04

My budget is around £800. All prices from www.scan.co.uk

I am interested in the upcoming nForce boards for this CPU. I don't want to spend too much on the GPU because I anticipate that I will want a DX10 card at some point next year.

Thanks in advance.

More about : call opinions

August 30, 2006 7:06:23 PM

looks good cept for the PSU

id recommend someing from OCZ,enermax,PC Power & Cooling

worst thing you could do is skimp out on a PSU to save some money only to have it crap out on ya and end up costing ya more to replace it.

of course i could be wrong cause i havent heard too much about that brand but its always a safe bet goin with a well known reliable brand
August 30, 2006 8:04:21 PM

If you are definitely planning on getting a DX10 card when it comes out then you may want to drop to a X1800 card and save a little more money.

The nForce boards should be available either now or shortly, but I have no experience with Intel mobos (at least not since the PIII), s I can't really help you choose.

Other than that I agree with muffins that you might want to look at a more trusted name brand PSU, I'll toss the name Antec out as well.
Related resources
August 31, 2006 3:53:24 AM

Quote:
looks good cept for the PSU

id recommend someing from OCZ,enermax,PC Power & Cooling

worst thing you could do is skimp out on a PSU to save some money only to have it crap out on ya and end up costing ya more to replace it.

of course i could be wrong cause i havent heard too much about that brand but its always a safe bet goin with a well known reliable brand

yeap. bump the PSU up to 500 min, look at the seasonic 600watt.

very good PSU.

otherthan that good luck and enjoy. and get an aftermarket cooler for the CPU. Freezer pro 7 should do it...
August 31, 2006 5:34:39 AM

Just want to put this out there. Tagan makes very good PSU's. they are right up there with PCP&C with many overclockers because of their stability, low ripple, excellent power conditioning and beefy components.

the wattage and amps might limit your ability to upgrade to more demanding components in the coming years, but will be more than adequate to the task of powering what you have listed there now.

ps. Mushkin adopted a Tagan design for their new line of PSU's and the reviews are excellent on them as well.
August 31, 2006 8:04:49 AM

I agree with these guys. I skimped on a psu, and had two cheapies fry in a month! You dont know fear until you smell that smell the first time, coming from your pc.

all the big names are good enough. you can pay more for more.

I bought a thermaltake case that came with a pre installed 480 watt TT PSU, and its sweet. so smooth, and quiet. It runs my 1900xtx, my swiftech water pump, and all my other power hungry little goodies.

I dont know about tagan, but its probably good enough. if not great.
August 31, 2006 8:51:18 AM

That Tagan PSU is actually nice. dual 12v rails at 20amps per and has Active PFC. Not bad actually. The only comparable PSU I could find on scan at that power level was this one:

485W Enermax Noisetaker
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu... (£49.49 )

Here is the manufacturers page on it:
http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPat...

Like the Tagan, it has a dual 12v rail system but with slightly better amperage at 22amps per. I believe it is also cheaper. If you aren't set on that Tagan you could consider this one.
August 31, 2006 1:45:49 PM

Thank you all very much. The PSU was an area of concern. I know very little about them (except the wattage part) yet there appears to be such a wide variety.

Im sure the Tagan will do fine but I would rather put in another £10-20 and get something more future proof and better over all.
August 31, 2006 2:03:26 PM

Quote:
Just want to put this out there. Tagan makes very good PSU's. they are right up there with PCP&C with many overclockers because of their stability, low ripple, excellent power conditioning and beefy components.

the wattage and amps might limit your ability to upgrade to more demanding components in the coming years, but will be more than adequate to the task of powering what you have listed there now.

ps. Mushkin adopted a Tagan design for their new line of PSU's and the reviews are excellent on them as well.

Well... I'm going to put in my two cents. It would seem that the Top PSU's at the moment are from OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, Fortron and Seasonic. This is from many tests that have been done and these PSU's have excelled in both efficiency and rail stability.

This isn't to say Antec, Tagan, Hiper, Thermaltake, Coolermaster etc are bad PSU's. It's just that they're not as good. Especially not for the price.

OCZ PSU's are relatively cheap and there Gamextreme lineup is even better then PC Power & Cooling's lineup at the same wattage (tests have shown this).

I agree with Muffins assertion regarding PSU's. Don't skimp on the power supply. If you choose a good one it will last you for years. I'm still running some Enermax Whisper 465 models from 2002. They still run just as good as they did when I got 'em. What's worse is I have one in a Sempron 3100+ rig with 2GB of PC3200 memory, 16 different HD's (SCSI, SATA and PATA), a 6600GT AGP card and a DVD burner (as well as the usual fans etc) and the system is rock hard stable.

You get what you pay for.. the top manufacturer's PSU's although rated at let's say 600watts can usually perform up to 200watts extra (800watts) and maintain efficiency provided the environmental temperatures are good. They're just rated differently then the other PSU's which have a hard time sometimes even meeting there designed and declared wattage.
August 31, 2006 2:20:38 PM

His choices were somewhat limited as alot of the brands that we can get access to over here aren't available on scan. Take a look at the link he gave in his initial post and look over those PSUs that he was limited to in the price range he gave.
August 31, 2006 2:45:47 PM

Quote:

i agree, have a targan psu myself and it works very well

also if you want to upgrade to dx10 you probably have to keep in mind that you must buy a new psu according to the wattage rumors of the cards
so it would be a waste to buy a 600w psu because you are going to need more anyway.
August 31, 2006 3:07:52 PM

Quote:
His choices were somewhat limited as alot of the brands that we can get access to over here aren't available on scan. Take a look at the link he gave in his initial post and look over those PSUs that he was limited to in the price range he gave.

Well for slightly more there is the 500W Enermax Liberty Modular Series - ELT500AWT. That PSU would be my recommendation without breaking the bank.
August 31, 2006 3:13:41 PM

I'd agree with that, except, it wasn't in stock.
August 31, 2006 3:44:26 PM

Umm u guys notice how many post's here were For PSU's

Help the guy out with other stuff he might need not just PSU's

:D 
Now u live in the U.K so it would be kinda hard to find these Parts but give it a try

now u ca nprobly get a Way cheaper Mobo for your Core 2 Duo

Like this One

Same chipset
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
its from DFI, u would be able to overclock Well with this one, not like the asus ( asus will still give u some headroom for overclocking )

or this one

From Gigabyte, nice features and the price is Awsome

If i were u i'd go with the DFi

cuz i know your buying Asus, well becuase its Asus

Dont buy becuase of the Name, buy for expandabilty and price/performance

also the DFI Motherboard supports Cross-fire
August 31, 2006 3:52:35 PM

hey man if you want better coolers and psu look for antec,coolermaster,zalman , these should satisfy you
:twisted:
August 31, 2006 3:53:25 PM

He's in Europe dude. He is only getting stuff from www.scan.co.uk and can't go through Newegg. DFI isn't available to him from that site so the recommendations isn't going to work. Although, the Gigabyte model is....
August 31, 2006 3:55:12 PM

Quote:
Umm u guys notice how many post's here were For PSU's

Help the guy out with other stuff he might need not just PSU's

Now u live in the U.K so it would be kinda hard to find these Parts but give it a try

now u ca nprobly get a Way cheaper Mobo for your Core 2 Duo

Like this One

Same chipset
its from DFI, u would be able to overclock Well with this one, not like the asus ( asus will still give u some headroom for overclocking )

or this one

From Gigabyte, nice features and the price is Awsome

If i were u i'd go with the DFi

cuz i know your buying Asus, well becuase its Asus

Dont buy becuase of the Name, buy for expandabilty and price/performance

also the DFI Motherboard supports Cross-fire

Ummm.. I don't particularly agree with that. The best overclocking board's so far for the Core 2 Duo over at Xtremesystems have been the Asus P5B and the Asus P5WDH.

If you look at my sig, you'll notice that for overclocking.. the P5W DH Deluxe is nothing to sneeze at. It's, without a doubt, the best Core 2 Duo board so far...
Of course.. if price is a factor then he could go for something cheaper.. but something tells me he's quite informed as his choices were all REALLY good ones.

PS. I've run DFI boards and they're REALLY good. For AMD rigs I recommend them... but I've never had a board as good and fully featured as this Asus P5W DH Deluxe... and I've had many. It's sorta reminds me of my old Abit IC7 MAX3 (also based on an Intel Chipset).
August 31, 2006 11:28:26 PM

Quote:

now u can probly get a Way cheaper Mobo for your Core 2 Duo

Already Addressed

AS for overclocking, i read around and Epox is good for the Price/Performance

(bring on the hate mail) :wink:
September 1, 2006 12:01:23 AM

I've been pricing a system myself along these lines, and while I know my choice of PSU (Hiper type-R 580w) isn't mainstream, I will say that a 500w to 600w PSU will be needed if not now down the line, especially since you want to go with Directx10 cards later. Any of the PSUs mentioned are good names, just make sure you get something with AFPC.

I'll also advise that you can do better on your prices. www.ebuyer.com will do you better (off the top of my head) on at least the mobo and the processor (and they have e6600 in stock right now), while Froogle can generally find you a low-cost supplier of most anything (used them to get my 7900GT for ca. £160.00 from Advance Tech). UK prices suck, so don't pay more than you have to, shop around.

edit: Forgot about the vid card! OK, I went with 7900GT - I decided to wait longer than 'just out' on the 10x cards and so went with a better card that will also work with some other equipment around the house I already have. The 7600GT is a good performing card if you aren't going to push it too hard (same goes on the X850XT PE and the X1800XT they are all pretty comparable with distinctions between them) and want something a little more disposable (at around the £80-120 mark). The 7900GT and the X1900 you picked out are around the same point on the charts. I went with 7900GT for an additional reason - noise. The X1900's stock cooler is noisy (so I've read).
September 1, 2006 2:24:11 PM

Scan isn't the only option to me but whoever they are, they need to be UK based for obvious reasons. If people can suggest other manufacturers then I am sure I can find the parts.

Thanks to all of you who commented on the PSU, its all useful.

As for the mobo, I have been running an Asus board for the last 3 years without a hitch. Thats the main reason for my choice. Same goes for ATI and the GPU.
September 1, 2006 11:25:01 PM

Quote:
Scan isn't the only option to me but whoever they are, they need to be UK based for obvious reasons. If people can suggest other manufacturers then I am sure I can find the parts.

I understand, I'm up in Scotland myself. www.ebuyer.com does deal in the UK direct, I ordered a new keyboard and mouse off of them last month. Advancetec or Advance Technologies is a shop down in London with a site here: www.advancetec.co.uk

Froogle is the google.co.uk price shopper, and will only come back with UK hits. I ordered a PSU today from Shiny Hardware www.shinyhardware.co.uk after searching Froogle.
September 2, 2006 12:22:38 AM

Quote:
250 Gb Western Digital WD2500YD Caviar RE, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.9 ms - £56.22

You might consider a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB drive. This is faster and uses the latest perpendicular technology.
!