When do I change an ink cartridge?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 6, 2005 6:22:42 AM

This might sound simple, but, when do I change an ink cartrdige?

My iP4000 is saying that the black is low.
I've used it several times since the message came up.
I've got replacement inks.
Normally... I would wait until no further printing is possible because
it's gone completely dry.
But I've read from other posts that this may not be a good idea, as on
installation, if starting from completely dry, the other inks are
purged or something?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM

More about : change ink cartridge

August 6, 2005 11:25:16 AM

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This might sound simple, but, when do I change an ink cartrdige?
>
> My iP4000 is saying that the black is low.
> I've used it several times since the message came up.
> I've got replacement inks.
> Normally... I would wait until no further printing is possible because
> it's gone completely dry.
> But I've read from other posts that this may not be a good idea, as on
> installation, if starting from completely dry, the other inks are
> purged or something?
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

I believe the concern that's been expressed is allowing the cartridge to go
completely empty and then letting it sit instead of replacing the empty
cartridge immediately. Then the ink may dry out and plug things up.
August 6, 2005 2:19:49 PM

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote:
>This might sound simple, but, when do I change an ink cartrdige?
>
>My iP4000 is saying that the black is low.
>I've used it several times since the message came up.
>I've got replacement inks.
>Normally... I would wait until no further printing is possible because
>it's gone completely dry.
>But I've read from other posts that this may not be a good idea, as on
>installation, if starting from completely dry, the other inks are
>purged or something?
>
>Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks.
>

>OM

You can safely wait until the printer tells you that the black ink has
completely run out.
There is no risk attached to following the manufacturer's recommendations.
Tony
August 6, 2005 7:50:38 PM

THESE ARE THE FACTS. AFTER YOU GET A LOW WARNING IT IS OK TO PRINT
UNTIL YOU GET AN OUT OF INK WARNING FOR THE PARTICULAR TANK. IT IS THEN
TIME TO CHANGE THEM WITH OEM INK. IFYOU NEGLECT THIS OUT OF INK
CONDITION YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF BURNING THE PRINT HEAD. HOW LONG
THAT WILL TAKE IF YOU IGNORE THE OUT OF INK CONDITION I DO NOT KNOW BUT
I RECOMMEND TO HEED CANON'S ADVICE.

OM wrote:

>This might sound simple, but, when do I change an ink cartrdige?
>
>My iP4000 is saying that the black is low.
>I've used it several times since the message came up.
>I've got replacement inks.
>Normally... I would wait until no further printing is possible because
>it's gone completely dry.
>But I've read from other posts that this may not be a good idea, as on
>installation, if starting from completely dry, the other inks are
>purged or something?
>
>Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks.
>

>OM

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 1:47:32 AM

measekite wrote:
> THESE ARE THE FACTS. AFTER YOU GET A LOW WARNING IT IS OK TO PRINT
> UNTIL YOU GET AN OUT OF INK WARNING FOR THE PARTICULAR TANK. IT IS
> THEN TIME TO CHANGE THEM WITH OEM INK. IFYOU NEGLECT THIS OUT OF INK
> CONDITION YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF BURNING THE PRINT HEAD. HOW LONG
> THAT WILL TAKE IF YOU IGNORE THE OUT OF INK CONDITION I DO NOT KNOW
> BUT I RECOMMEND TO HEED CANON'S ADVICE.

When i get out of ink warning, printer refuses to print anymore except to
finish current print job...right? howerer it is still about 1 cm ink left in
a sponge at that time...

secondly...you said in other post it's not a good idea to use aftermarket
inks...would this include compatibles like Pelikan? It seems a quality
company..

finally...why SHOUTING?
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 1:47:33 AM

SleeperMan wrote:

>measekite wrote:
>

>>THESE ARE THE FACTS. AFTER YOU GET A LOW WARNING IT IS OK TO PRINT
>>UNTIL YOU GET AN OUT OF INK WARNING FOR THE PARTICULAR TANK. IT IS
>>THEN TIME TO CHANGE THEM WITH OEM INK. IFYOU NEGLECT THIS OUT OF INK
>>CONDITION YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF BURNING THE PRINT HEAD. HOW LONG
>>THAT WILL TAKE IF YOU IGNORE THE OUT OF INK CONDITION I DO NOT KNOW
>>BUT I RECOMMEND TO HEED CANON'S ADVICE.
>>

>When i get out of ink warning, printer refuses to print anymore except to
>finish current print job...right? howerer it is still about 1 cm ink left in
>a sponge at that time...
>
>secondly...you said in other post it's not a good idea to use aftermarket
>inks...would this include compatibles like Pelikan? It seems a quality
>company..
>
>finally...why SHOUTING?

Wrong.

If you press the resume button, the top button on the IP3,4,5000, you
can still print. To a varying degree there appears to be about a cm of
ink remaining but that does not mean the ink flows out of the sponge as
freely or how many prints you can make before the ink becomes restricted
enough to cause damange to the printhead. I guess you can confidentally
print a half dozen or so photos (depending on the size) before things
get too risky but I just change the cart after the notification.

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:41:07 AM

In article <ft8Je.1189$cE1.174918@news.siol.net>, SleeperMan@too.sleepy
says...
> measekite wrote:
> > THESE ARE THE FACTS. AFTER YOU GET A LOW WARNING IT IS OK TO PRINT
> > UNTIL YOU GET AN OUT OF INK WARNING FOR THE PARTICULAR TANK. IT IS
> > THEN TIME TO CHANGE THEM WITH OEM INK. IFYOU NEGLECT THIS OUT OF INK
> > CONDITION YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF BURNING THE PRINT HEAD. HOW LONG
> > THAT WILL TAKE IF YOU IGNORE THE OUT OF INK CONDITION I DO NOT KNOW
> > BUT I RECOMMEND TO HEED CANON'S ADVICE.
>

> When i get out of ink warning, printer refuses to print anymore except to
> finish current print job...right? howerer it is still about 1 cm ink left in
> a sponge at that time...
>
> secondly...you said in other post it's not a good idea to use aftermarket
> inks...would this include compatibles like Pelikan? It seems a quality
> company..
>
> finally...why SHOUTING?

All is explained by the simple fact he is an idiot, who has never tried
anything that Canon doesn't approve of (by his own admission), yet he
thinks his opinion should carry some weight, without any experience.

There are several good sources of ink, the one I have experience with in
a Canon i960 is Sentient, from alotofthings.com. Research other actual
users' opinions on this site or others.

Pelikan may be a good brand name in pens & drafting ink, but it may not
be a good source of printer ink specifically formulated for each printer
brand. You can be sure that any "universal" ink will be an
unsatisfactory compromise.

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:45:58 AM

In article <1123320162.630573.251050@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
om.newsgroup@gmail.com says...
> This might sound simple, but, when do I change an ink cartrdige?
>
> My iP4000 is saying that the black is low.
> I've used it several times since the message came up.
> I've got replacement inks.
> Normally... I would wait until no further printing is possible because
> it's gone completely dry.
> But I've read from other posts that this may not be a good idea, as on
> installation, if starting from completely dry, the other inks are
> purged or something?
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

Running completely out of any color of ink will fry the printhead.
Canons use heat to vaporize ink & propel it unto the paper. The ink
provides cooling for the head, & havoc will be wreaked if it runs dry.
Best to avoid any risk of this.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 6:59:47 AM

> Running completely out of any color of ink will fry the printhead.
> Canons use heat to vaporize ink & propel it unto the paper. The ink
> provides cooling for the head, & havoc will be wreaked if it runs dry.
> Best to avoid any risk of this.
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm still a bit confused.
The message I get is: "The following ink tanks are running low. Black
[3e]".
Should I wait for a: "OK... we recommend you change the ink cartidge
now" message?

Thanks.
August 7, 2005 7:52:07 AM

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This might sound simple, but, when do I change an ink cartrdige?
>
> My iP4000 is saying that the black is low.
> I've used it several times since the message came up.
> I've got replacement inks.
> Normally... I would wait until no further printing is possible because
> it's gone completely dry.
> But I've read from other posts that this may not be a good idea, as on
> installation, if starting from completely dry, the other inks are
> purged or something?
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

OM - Epson and Canon printers indicate that cartridges are to be refilled
when there is still a little ink left in the sponge as it protects the
printhead from running dry and being damaged. Several people have posted
messages in months past complaining about the printer companies ripping us
off by having us waste the last few cc's of ink when they indicate a
cartridge change. Since the actual amount of ink remaining is estimated
they probably err on the side of protecting the print head and leave a bit
more ink than would be absolutely necessary. It is best to not "push it"
and try to use the last few drops of ink as ruining or clogging the print
head is not worth it.
August 7, 2005 8:04:47 AM

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> measekite wrote:
>> THESE ARE THE FACTS. AFTER YOU GET A LOW WARNING IT IS OK TO PRINT
>> UNTIL YOU GET AN OUT OF INK WARNING FOR THE PARTICULAR TANK. IT IS
>> THEN TIME TO CHANGE THEM WITH OEM INK. IFYOU NEGLECT THIS OUT OF INK
>> CONDITION YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF BURNING THE PRINT HEAD. HOW LONG
>> THAT WILL TAKE IF YOU IGNORE THE OUT OF INK CONDITION I DO NOT KNOW
>> BUT I RECOMMEND TO HEED CANON'S ADVICE.
>

> When i get out of ink warning, printer refuses to print anymore except to
> finish current print job...right? howerer it is still about 1 cm ink left
> in a sponge at that time...
>
> secondly...you said in other post it's not a good idea to use aftermarket
> inks...would this include compatibles like Pelikan? It seems a quality
> company..
>
> finally...why SHOUTING?

Sleeperman - many of us on this newsgroup use aftermarket inks successfully.
The person shouting has never used them, nor has he done business with any
of the vendors. He always warns people against using these products even
though he has no experience with them. He will undoubtedly follow this
message with more of his shouting and nonsense. I have killfiled him and
only see his messages when someone like you responds. He is shouting
because he thinks that will gain more attention and credibility to his
arguements.

I don't know about the Pelikan inks. Please read the following websites and
see what other people are using. It is important to be very selective about
which cartridges and inks you use and it is best to get advice from others
who can, from their own experience, recommend a specific product. I, and
several others, refill cartridges with one of three inks that are available
online - MIS, Formulabs bulk ink from Alotofthings, and Hobbicolors
available on ebay. Neil Slade's site is good background info and the Nifty
forum is a good discussion forum for people who either use these products or
want information on using them. It is primarily about Canon printers, but
others are discussed as well.
http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 9:45:06 AM

Burt wrote:

>"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>

>>measekite wrote:
>>

>>>THESE ARE THE FACTS. AFTER YOU GET A LOW WARNING IT IS OK TO PRINT
>>>UNTIL YOU GET AN OUT OF INK WARNING FOR THE PARTICULAR TANK. IT IS
>>>THEN TIME TO CHANGE THEM WITH OEM INK. IFYOU NEGLECT THIS OUT OF INK
>>>CONDITION YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF BURNING THE PRINT HEAD. HOW LONG
>>>THAT WILL TAKE IF YOU IGNORE THE OUT OF INK CONDITION I DO NOT KNOW
>>>BUT I RECOMMEND TO HEED CANON'S ADVICE.
>>>

>>When i get out of ink warning, printer refuses to print anymore except to
>>finish current print job...right? howerer it is still about 1 cm ink left
>>in a sponge at that time...
>>
>>secondly...you said in other post it's not a good idea to use aftermarket
>>inks...would this include compatibles like Pelikan? It seems a quality
>>company..
>>
>>finally...why SHOUTING?
>>

>Sleeperman - many of the idiots on this newsgroup use aftermarket inks unsuccessfully.
>The person shouting has always used them, nor has he done business with any
>of the whores. He always warns people against using these products even
>though he has no experience with them. He will undoubtedly follow this
>message with more of his shouting and nonsense. I have killfiled him and
>only see his messages when someone like you responds.

I DONT DINK SO

>He is shouting
>because he thinks that will gain more attention and credibility to his
>arguements.
>
>I don't know about the Pelikan inks.

DAY FLEW AWAY

>Please read the following websites and
>see what other people are using. It is important to be very selective about
>which cartridges and inks you use and it is best to get advice from others
>who can, from their own experience, recommend a specific product. I, and
>several others, refill cartridges with one of three inks that are available
>online
>

> SNIP
>

> Neil Slade's site is good background info and the Nifty
>forum is a good discussion forum for people who either use these products or
>want information on using them.

HE IS DA MODERATOR. LIKE PREACHING TO DA CHOIR. WHAT DIS WURLD IS
KOMING TWO

> It is primarily about Canon printers, but
>others are discussed as well.
>http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html
>
>http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

August 7, 2005 2:16:08 PM

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Running completely out of any color of ink will fry the printhead.
>> Canons use heat to vaporize ink & propel it unto the paper. The ink
>> provides cooling for the head, & havoc will be wreaked if it runs dry.
>> Best to avoid any risk of this.
>Thanks for all the replies.
>I'm still a bit confused.
>The message I get is: "The following ink tanks are running low. Black
>[3e]".
>Should I wait for a: "OK... we recommend you change the ink cartidge
>now" message?
>
>Thanks.

No intention to confuse you.
It is safe to continue to print until you get the out of ink message. No harm
will be done.
The cartridge retains a small amount of ink in the foam area to keep the
printhead healthy.
Change the cartridge as soon as you get the out of ink message.
Tony
August 7, 2005 4:04:27 PM

You don't have to shout........

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
> THESE ARE THE FACTS. AFTER YOU GET A LOW WARNING IT IS OK TO PRINT
> UNTIL YOU GET AN OUT OF INK WARNING FOR THE PARTICULAR TANK. IT IS THEN
> TIME TO CHANGE THEM WITH OEM INK. IFYOU NEGLECT THIS OUT OF INK
> CONDITION YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF BURNING THE PRINT HEAD. HOW LONG
> THAT WILL TAKE IF YOU IGNORE THE OUT OF INK CONDITION I DO NOT KNOW BUT
> I RECOMMEND TO HEED CANON'S ADVICE.
>
> OM wrote:
>
> >This might sound simple, but, when do I change an ink cartrdige?
> >
> >My iP4000 is saying that the black is low.
> >I've used it several times since the message came up.
> >I've got replacement inks.
> >Normally... I would wait until no further printing is possible because
> >it's gone completely dry.
> >But I've read from other posts that this may not be a good idea, as on
> >installation, if starting from completely dry, the other inks are
> >purged or something?
> >
> >Any feedback would be appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >

> >OM

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 7:00:08 PM

Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:

>In article <ft8Je.1189$cE1.174918@news.siol.net>, SleeperMan@too.sleepy
>says...
>

>>measekite wrote:
>>

>>>THESE ARE THE FACTS. AFTER YOU GET A LOW WARNING IT IS OK TO PRINT
>>>UNTIL YOU GET AN OUT OF INK WARNING FOR THE PARTICULAR TANK. IT IS
>>>THEN TIME TO CHANGE THEM WITH OEM INK. IFYOU NEGLECT THIS OUT OF INK
>>>CONDITION YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF BURNING THE PRINT HEAD. HOW LONG
>>>THAT WILL TAKE IF YOU IGNORE THE OUT OF INK CONDITION I DO NOT KNOW
>>>BUT I RECOMMEND TO HEED CANON'S ADVICE.
>>>

>>When i get out of ink warning, printer refuses to print anymore except to
>>finish current print job...right? howerer it is still about 1 cm ink left in
>>a sponge at that time...
>>
>>secondly...you said in other post it's not a good idea to use aftermarket
>>inks...would this include compatibles like Pelikan? It seems a quality
>>company..
>>
>>finally...why SHOUTING?
>>

>All is explained by the simple fact that I am an idiot, who has never tried
>anything that Canon doesn't approve of (by his own admission), yet I
>thinks my opinion should carry some weight, without any experience.
>
>There are no good sources of ink, the one I have experience with in
>a Canon i960

snip

>Research other actual
>users' opinions on this site or others.
>
>Pelikan is a bird may be a good brand name in pens & drafting ink, but it may not
>be a good source of printer ink specifically formulated for each printer
>brand. You can be sure that any "universal" ink will be an
>satisfactory compromise.

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:38:22 AM

In article <inpJe.317$zr1.262@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
inkystinky@oem.com says...
> *READ THE MANUAL AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO ASK THSES QUESTIONS. IT IS
> VERY CLEAR.
> *
Read your "English as a Second Language" text again, and you will not
misspells theses wordses so much. Also, your manual will reveal the
secret (to you) location of your capslock key (over on the left, near
where your head is inserted in your ass).
August 8, 2005 1:14:39 PM

Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:

> In article <inpJe.317$zr1.262@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
> inkystinky@oem.com says...
>
>>*READ THE MANUAL AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO ASK THSES QUESTIONS. IT IS
>>VERY CLEAR.
>>*
>
> Read your "English as a Second Language" text again, and you will not
> misspells theses wordses so much. Also, your manual will reveal the
> secret (to you) location of your capslock key (over on the left, near
> where your head is inserted in your ass).

hehehehe...that's hysterical! :-)
Frank
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:39:29 AM

"Irwin Peckinloomer" <semimoto@spamforYahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <inpJe.317$zr1.262@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
> inkystinky@oem.com says...
> > *READ THE MANUAL AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO ASK THSES QUESTIONS. IT IS
> > VERY CLEAR.
> > *
> Read your "English as a Second Language" text again, and you will not
> misspells theses wordses so much. Also, your manual will reveal the
> secret (to you) location of your capslock key (over on the left, near
> where your head is inserted in your ass).

HeHeHeHeHe ...
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:41:26 AM

Frank wrote:

> Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:
>
>> In article <inpJe.317$zr1.262@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
>> inkystinky@oem.com says...
>>
>>> *READ THE MANUAL AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO ASK THSES QUESTIONS. IT
>>> IS VERY CLEAR.
>>> *
>>

>> Read your "English as a Second Language" text again, and you will not
>> misspells theses wordses so much. Also, your manual will reveal the
>> secret (to you) location of your capslock key (over on the left, near
>> where your head is inserted in your ass).
>

> hehehehe...that's hysterical! :-)
> Frank

HEHEHEHEHE HEEEEES BAAAACK
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:09:00 AM

RSD99 wrote:

>"Irwin Peckinloomer" <semimoto@spamforYahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>In article <inpJe.317$zr1.262@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
>>inkystinky@oem.com says...
>>

>>>*READ THE MANUAL AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO ASK THSES QUESTIONS. IT IS
>>>VERY CLEAR.
>>>*
>>>

>>Read your "English as a Second Language" text again, and you will not
>>misspells theses wordses so much. Also, your manual will reveal the
>>secret (to you) location of your capslock key (over on the left, near
>>where your head is inserted in your ass).
>>

>HeHeHeHeHe ...

Frankie Crankie da laugher

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:03:32 AM

Never let a printer run on empty. Never remove ink cartridges from the
printer if you are not using it. This will cause clogging and ruin the
printer especially Epsons
"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This might sound simple, but, when do I change an ink cartrdige?
>
> My iP4000 is saying that the black is low.
> I've used it several times since the message came up.
> I've got replacement inks.
> Normally... I would wait until no further printing is possible because
> it's gone completely dry.
> But I've read from other posts that this may not be a good idea, as on
> installation, if starting from completely dry, the other inks are
> purged or something?
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:32:28 AM

Burt wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> measekite wrote:
>>> THESE ARE THE FACTS. AFTER YOU GET A LOW WARNING IT IS OK TO PRINT
>>> UNTIL YOU GET AN OUT OF INK WARNING FOR THE PARTICULAR TANK. IT IS
>>> THEN TIME TO CHANGE THEM WITH OEM INK. IFYOU NEGLECT THIS OUT OF
>>> INK CONDITION YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF BURNING THE PRINT HEAD. HOW LONG
>>> THAT WILL TAKE IF YOU IGNORE THE OUT OF INK CONDITION I DO
>>> NOT KNOW BUT I RECOMMEND TO HEED CANON'S ADVICE.
>>

>> When i get out of ink warning, printer refuses to print anymore
>> except to finish current print job...right? howerer it is still
>> about 1 cm ink left in a sponge at that time...
>>
>> secondly...you said in other post it's not a good idea to use
>> aftermarket inks...would this include compatibles like Pelikan? It
>> seems a quality company..
>>
>> finally...why SHOUTING?
>
> Sleeperman - many of us on this newsgroup use aftermarket inks
> successfully. The person shouting has never used them, nor has he
> done business with any of the vendors. He always warns people
> against using these products even though he has no experience with
> them. He will undoubtedly follow this message with more of his
> shouting and nonsense. I have killfiled him and only see his
> messages when someone like you responds. He is shouting because he
> thinks that will gain more attention and credibility to his
> arguements.
> I don't know about the Pelikan inks. Please read the following
> websites and see what other people are using. It is important to be
> very selective about which cartridges and inks you use and it is best
> to get advice from others who can, from their own experience,
> recommend a specific product. I, and several others, refill
> cartridges with one of three inks that are available online - MIS,
> Formulabs bulk ink from Alotofthings, and Hobbicolors available on
> ebay. Neil Slade's site is good background info and the Nifty forum
> is a good discussion forum for people who either use these products
> or want information on using them. It is primarily about Canon
> printers, but others are discussed as well.
> http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html
> http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

well, i guess this still remains a mystery. Many users use quite hapilly
refills etc....i used refill ink on my i550, head died after year and a
half, but i still doubt it was ink's fault, since there were many complaints
about same defet with only original ink used...
But, still in this period of time i saved so much that i could buy new
ip4000 and still put a few bucks in my pocket, so it is worthed, i guess...
August 10, 2005 2:32:29 AM

SleeperMan wrote:

> well, i guess this still remains a mystery. Many users use quite hapilly
> refills etc....i used refill ink on my i550, head died after year and a
> half, but i still doubt it was ink's fault, since there were many complaints
> about same defet with only original ink used...
> But, still in this period of time i saved so much that i could buy new
> ip4000 and still put a few bucks in my pocket, so it is worthed, i guess...

Yeah I agree. Only a dickhead would continue to pay for oem ink carts
when after market ink have been shown to be just as good in color and
non-clogging as oem's.
Hard to image anyone (other than our resident troll) that stupid in
todays world.
Frank
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:50:24 AM

SleeperMan wrote:

>Burt wrote:
>

>>"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

>>>When i get out of ink warning, printer refuses to print anymore
>>>except to finish current print job...right? howerer it is still
>>>about 1 cm ink left in a sponge at that time...
>>>
>>>secondly...you said in other post it's not a good idea to use
>>>aftermarket inks...would this include compatibles like Pelikan? It
>>>seems a quality company..
>>>
>>>finally...why SHOUTING?
>>>

>>Sleeperman - many of us on this newsgroup use aftermarket inks
>>successfully. The person shouting has never used them, nor has he
>>done business with any of the vendors. He always warns people
>>against using these products even though he has no experience with
>>them. He will undoubtedly follow this message with more of his
>>shouting and nonsense. I have killfiled him and only see his
>>messages when someone like you responds. He is shouting because he
>>thinks that will gain more attention and credibility to his
>>arguements.
>>I don't know about the Pelikan inks. Please read the following
>>websites and see what other people are using. It is important to be
>>very selective about which cartridges and inks you use and it is best
>>to get advice from others who can, from their own experience,
>>recommend a specific product. I, and several others, refill
>>cartridges with one of three inks that are available online - MIS,
>>Formulabs bulk ink from Alotofthings, and Hobbicolors available on
>>ebay. Neil Slade's site is good background info and the Nifty forum
>>is a good discussion forum for people who either use these products
>>or want information on using them. It is primarily about Canon
>>printers, but others are discussed as well.
>>http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html
>>http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/
>>

>well, i guess this still remains a mystery. Many users use quite hapilly
>refills etc....i used refill ink on my i550, head died after year and a
>half, but i still doubt it was ink's fault, since there were many complaints
>about same defet with only original ink used...
>But, still in this period of time i saved so much that i could buy new
>ip4000 and still put a few bucks in my pocket, so it is worthed, i guess...

Not Worth It. There is more than money. I just do not like supporting
dishonest whores. Just like the drug companies who advertise to you the
customer when you cannot write a Rx. It just drives the price of the RX
up when you fill your Doctor's Rx. They are whores just like the ink
vendors who will not tell you what they are buying.

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:50:25 AM

In article <4jbKe.3667$zr1.1686@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
inkystinky@oem.com says...

> Not Worth It. There is more than money. I just do not like supporting
> dishonest whores. Just like the drug companies who advertise to you the
> customer when you cannot write a Rx. It just drives the price of the RX
> up when you fill your Doctor's Rx. They are whores just like the ink
> vendors who will not tell you what they are buying.

This is really strange! I agree with inkystinky 100% on the prescription
drug issue. I wonder why he doesn't see the printer manufacturers as the
whores who are selling him a cartridge for $10 that he could refill for
50 cents? And why isn't he offended that they use scare tactics to
convince him (and many other naive users) that ink other than their own
will cause damage? They tell him to only use Canon paper also, and he
sees through that, but is blind to the fact that he is being led by his
nose ring to overpay for ink.

But he is obviously a strange person, motivated by some hidden agenda.
August 10, 2005 6:44:40 AM

> Canon Photo Paper Pro is the best. I use Kirkland because it is nearly
> as good at 1/7 the cost. Costco is a very reputable store unlike the
> whoring ink vendors.

Costco sells bulk ink.. IMS. In fact it's usually right next to the
Canon BCI-3e 3 packs. Are you saying that this is a reputable product
too?
August 10, 2005 4:07:18 PM

> Zake - good observation and excellent question for our resident troll. I
> believe that IMS is sold as a "universal" ink for several different printers
> and is not printer specific.

I have used IMS before. It's very thin, perhaps even more thin than
the canon ink. I used this product to get rid of a print clog in my
nieces BJ-2100. She doesn't print often and never takes out her
printehead and puts it away in that little case it came with so the
tanks try out and the printhead clogs.

But I would agree, one fluid product will not work well on
1. Thermal jet - Really hot
2. Micropiezo - Squeeze it
3. bubble jet - not so hot

But the results were soso.
August 10, 2005 9:03:56 PM

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Canon Photo Paper Pro is the best. I use Kirkland because it is nearly
>> as good at 1/7 the cost. Costco is a very reputable store unlike the
>> whoring ink vendors.
>
> Costco sells bulk ink.. IMS. In fact it's usually right next to the
> Canon BCI-3e 3 packs. Are you saying that this is a reputable product
> too?

Zake - good observation and excellent question for our resident troll. I
believe that IMS is sold as a "universal" ink for several different printers
and is not printer specific. I have seen reports from people who have tried
it. They have stated that it is not as good a product as those named by
bulk ink users on this NG and on the Nifty forum. For my bulk ink I'll keep
buying from the vendors who have proven to be reliable - MIS, Alotofthings
for Formulabs ink, and Hobbicolors. I'm sure there are also several others
that NG or Nifty participants have used that have proven to be good vendors
with good products. So much for Costco and "whores".

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:24:27 PM

Burt wrote:

>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>>Canon Photo Paper Pro is the best. I use Kirkland because it is nearly
>>>as good at 1/7 the cost. Costco is a very reputable store unlike the
>>>whoring ink vendors.
>>>

>>Costco sells bulk ink.. IMS. In fact it's usually right next to the
>>Canon BCI-3e 3 packs. Are you saying that this is a reputable product
>>too?
>>

>Zake - good observation and excellent question for our resident troll. I
>believe that IMS is sold as a "universal" ink for several different printers
>and is not printer specific. I have seen reports from people who have tried
>it. They have stated that it is not as good a product as those named by
>bulk ink users on this NG and on the Nifty forum.

BURTIE FURTIE ALIAS FOTOFREEK IS A NIFTY MODERATOR. YOU CANNOT BELIEVE
WHAT HE SAYS BECAUSE HE IS HIRED BY THE NIFTY CHURCH TO SPREAD THE
GOSPEL OF AFTERMARKET INKS.

>For my bulk ink I'll keep
>buying from the vendors who have proven to be reliable - ,
>for ink, and . I'm sure there are also several others
>that NG or Nifty participants have used that have proven to be good vendors
>with good products. So much for Costco and "whores".

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:38:41 PM

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message

snipped

> Not Worth It. There is more than money. I just do not like supporting
> dishonest whores. Just like the drug companies who advertise to you the
> customer when you cannot write a Rx. It just drives the price of the RX
> up when you fill your Doctor's Rx. They are whores just like the ink
> vendors who will not tell you what they are buying.

Of course the troll doesn't support them. He doesn't like the competition.
--
Ron
August 10, 2005 9:50:26 PM

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
(snip)

> BURTIE FURTIE ALIAS FOTOFREEK IS A NIFTY MODERATOR. YOU CANNOT BELIEVE
> WHAT HE SAYS BECAUSE HE IS HIRED BY THE NIFTY CHURCH TO SPREAD THE GOSPEL
> OF AFTERMARKET INKS.
(snip)

This post was sent to me by another participant on the Nifty-stuff Forum or
I would not have seen it as I have killfiled our resident Troll. While it
is true that I am signed on to the Nifty forum as Fotofreek, just as many of
us on this NG have a sign-on name, I am only acting as moderator when Rob is
on vacation. No one, moderators or participants, are paid or asked to
"spread the Gospel." It is entirely voluntary. I respond on this NG when
people display an interest in aftermarket inks, among other things, because
I have had very positive experience with MIS inks for my Canon i960 printer
and like to help others if they wish to know about using aftermarket
products. There are several other participants who have used other equally
fine aftermarket products who share their knowledge on this NG. Inkystinky
has no experience with anything but OEM inks and has no basis on which to
spread his "gospel" of headclogs and other dire results that he claims will
occur with aftermarket inks, and he has continually attempted to demean many
participants, myself included, who have done nothing more than stated our
true experiences with several excellent aftermarket inks. You can be sure
that he will follow this message with more lies and misinformation.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:43:19 AM

In article <eShKe.3805$zr1.3659@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
inkystinky@oem.com says..

> Canon Photo Paper Pro is the best. I use Kirkland because it is nearly
> as good at 1/7 the cost.

Agreed. Same motivation applies for me for ink, except it is at 1/20 the
cost.

inkystinky@oem.com says...

Costco is a very reputable store unlike the
> whoring ink vendors.

Yet Costco will not tell you the source of "Kirkland" paper, though we
can all guess. Ink vendors (of bulk ink, I see no advantage in prefilled
cartridges, considering how much more you save with bulk ink) DO reveal
manufacturer, lot number, mfg. date, etc. (at least the one I deal with
does)

Believe me, "Kirkland" paper may be from a different vendor at some time
in the future, if they get a better deal from someone else. They won't
go out of their way to let you know this, either.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:25:48 PM

Burt wrote:
> "measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
> (snip)
>

>>BURTIE FURTIE ALIAS FOTOFREEK IS A NIFTY MODERATOR. YOU CANNOT BELIEVE
>>WHAT HE SAYS BECAUSE HE IS HIRED BY THE NIFTY CHURCH TO SPREAD THE GOSPEL
>>OF AFTERMARKET INKS.
>
> (snip)
>
> This post was sent to me by another participant on the Nifty-stuff Forum or
> I would not have seen it as I have killfiled our resident Troll. While it
> is true that I am signed on to the Nifty forum as Fotofreek, just as many of
> us on this NG have a sign-on name, I am only acting as moderator when Rob is
> on vacation. No one, moderators or participants, are paid or asked to
> "spread the Gospel." It is entirely voluntary. I respond on this NG when
> people display an interest in aftermarket inks, among other things, because
> I have had very positive experience with MIS inks for my Canon i960 printer
> and like to help others if they wish to know about using aftermarket
> products. There are several other participants who have used other equally
> fine aftermarket products who share their knowledge on this NG. Inkystinky
> has no experience with anything but OEM inks and has no basis on which to
> spread his "gospel" of headclogs and other dire results that he claims will
> occur with aftermarket inks, and he has continually attempted to demean many
> participants, myself included, who have done nothing more than stated our
> true experiences with several excellent aftermarket inks. You can be sure
> that he will follow this message with more lies and misinformation.

I tried to give a heads up on niffty-stuff about this guy(?) but
message got pulled quickly. Hope you guys stay on top of his attempt
to hijack another forum.

Mickey
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:02:42 PM

Mickey wrote:
> Burt wrote:
>
>> "measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>> (snip)
>>

>>> BURTIE FURTIE ALIAS FOTOFREEK IS A NIFTY MODERATOR. YOU CANNOT
>>> BELIEVE WHAT HE SAYS BECAUSE HE IS HIRED BY THE NIFTY CHURCH TO
>>> SPREAD THE GOSPEL OF AFTERMARKET INKS.
>>

>> (snip)
>>
>> This post was sent to me by another participant on the Nifty-stuff
>> Forum or I would not have seen it as I have killfiled our resident
>> Troll. While it is true that I am signed on to the Nifty forum as
>> Fotofreek, just as many of us on this NG have a sign-on name, I am
>> only acting as moderator when Rob is on vacation. No one, moderators
>> or participants, are paid or asked to "spread the Gospel." It is
>> entirely voluntary. I respond on this NG when people display an
>> interest in aftermarket inks, among other things, because I have had
>> very positive experience with MIS inks for my Canon i960 printer and
>> like to help others if they wish to know about using aftermarket
>> products. There are several other participants who have used other
>> equally fine aftermarket products who share their knowledge on this
>> NG. Inkystinky has no experience with anything but OEM inks and has
>> no basis on which to spread his "gospel" of headclogs and other dire
>> results that he claims will occur with aftermarket inks, and he has
>> continually attempted to demean many participants, myself included,
>> who have done nothing more than stated our true experiences with
>> several excellent aftermarket inks. You can be sure that he will
>> follow this message with more lies and misinformation.
>>
> I tried to give a heads up on niffty-stuff about this guy(?) but message
> got pulled quickly. Hope you guys stay on top of his attempt to hijack
> another forum.
>
> Mickey

I am just a lurker to this news group and cannot beleive the horribly
things this person is allowed to post.
Someone should do somwthing about it.
Jon B.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:25:33 PM

measekite wrote:
> *SAIL ON THE SLOOP JON B*
>
> Jon B. wrote:
>
>> Mickey wrote:

>>> I tried to give a heads up on niffty-stuff about this guy(?) but
>>> message got pulled quickly. Hope you guys stay on top of his attempt
>>> to hijack another forum.
>>>
>>> Mickey
>>

>> I am just a lurker to this news group and cannot beleive the horribly
>> things this person is allowed to post.
>> Someone should do somwthing about it.
>> Jon B.

Sloop jon b. Well that's revealing. It means you are an old fart just
like you keep calling mr burt.
Jon b.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:35:46 PM

Paper will not clog your printer. You can get it in all of the big box
stores. The vendors are not whores. Grow Up

Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:

>In article <eShKe.3805$zr1.3659@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
>inkystinky@oem.com says..
>

>>Canon Photo Paper Pro is the best. I use Kirkland because it is nearly
>>as good at 1/7 the cost.
>>

>Agreed. Same motivation applies for me for ink, except it is at 1/20 the
>cost.
>

>inkystinky@oem.com says...
>
> Costco is a very reputable store unlike the
>

>>whoring ink vendors.
>>

>Yet Costco will not tell you the source of "Kirkland" paper, though we
>can all guess. Ink vendors (of bulk ink, I see no advantage in prefilled
>cartridges, considering how much more you save with bulk ink) DO reveal
>manufacturer, lot number, mfg. date, etc. (at least the one I deal with
>does)
>
>Believe me, "Kirkland" paper may be from a different vendor at some time
>in the future, if they get a better deal from someone else. They won't
>go out of their way to let you know this, either.

August 12, 2005 3:23:11 AM

"Jon B." <jonb@nowherespam.com> wrote in message
> Mickey wrote:
>> Burt wrote:
>>
>>> "measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>>> (snip)

>>> (snip)
>>>
>>> This post was sent to me by another participant on the Nifty-stuff Forum
>>> or I would not have seen it as I have killfiled our resident Troll.
>>> While it is true that I am signed on to the Nifty forum as Fotofreek,
>>> just as many of us on this NG have a sign-on name, I am only acting as
>>> moderator when Rob is on vacation. No one, moderators or participants,
>>> are paid or asked to "spread the Gospel." It is entirely voluntary. I
>>> respond on this NG when people display an interest in aftermarket inks,
>>> among other things, because I have had very positive experience with MIS
>>> inks for my Canon i960 printer and like to help others if they wish to
>>> know about using aftermarket products. There are several other
>>> participants who have used other equally fine aftermarket products who
>>> share their knowledge on this NG. Inkystinky has no experience with
>>> anything but OEM inks and has no basis on which to spread his "gospel"
>>> of headclogs and other dire results that he claims will occur with
>>> aftermarket inks, and he has continually attempted to demean many
>>> participants, myself included, who have done nothing more than stated
>>> our true experiences with several excellent aftermarket inks. You can
>>> be sure that he will follow this message with more lies and
>>> misinformation.
>>>
>> I tried to give a heads up on niffty-stuff about this guy(?) but message
>> got pulled quickly. Hope you guys stay on top of his attempt to hijack
>> another forum.
>>
>> Mickey
>
> I am just a lurker to this news group and cannot beleive the horribly
> things this person is allowed to post.
> Someone should do somwthing about it.
> Jon B.

Jon - unfortunately, this is an unmoderated newsgroup and there is no one to
ride herd on this kind of harassment. Little by little many of us have
killfiled him so he can rant all he wants. We only see it when it is
replied to.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:23:12 AM

Burt wrote:
> "Jon B." <jonb@nowherespam.com> wrote in message
>
>>Mickey wrote:

>>>I tried to give a heads up on niffty-stuff about this guy(?) but message
>>>got pulled quickly. Hope you guys stay on top of his attempt to hijack
>>>another forum.
>>>
>>>Mickey
>>
>>I am just a lurker to this news group and cannot beleive the horribly
>>things this person is allowed to post.
>>Someone should do somwthing about it.
>>Jon B.
>

> Jon - unfortunately, this is an unmoderated newsgroup and there is no one to
> ride herd on this kind of harassment. Little by little many of us have
> killfiled him so he can rant all he wants. We only see it when it is
> replied to.

I will go back to just lurking thank you.
Jon B.
August 12, 2005 12:54:34 PM

> But they were using aftermarket inks. There are far less OEM users
> reporting the problem with about the same amount of use.

An inkjet such as the canon will clog if not used for a certain period
of time regardless of the medium used. That is the drawback of inkjet
printers, this is life. The offical limit of the Canon printers in
terms of headlife is less than 20 tank replacements. Reality may be
higher or lower depending on use, but these are facts based on the
numbers canon publishes which are included in their service manuals.
It just so happens that the duty cycle on the printer is the same as
the printhead life. So if a given user is having problems printing,
and they are on their 20th refill.... the printer has officaly reached
the end of it's life.

Further I've been reading the same newsgroup as you and I have no idea
how much a given user is using a printer. This would be interesting
useful data to compile but franky anyone speaking about head clogs or
failure doesn't say their page count. I would love to be able to
establish an accurate accounting of page counts from real users based
on their choice of medium but I don't have that data. If you have this
data, by all means share it. Otherwise people have no choice to assume
that your feelings on the matter are based entirely on faith in OEM. I
for one prefer maters of physical world to be evaluated scientifically.

It is reasonable to assume that use of 3rd party ink would have an
effect on head life. This is a very valid assumption. A good project
would be to actually test this, actually measure out what affect
different mediums would be used. Given the fact that the duty cycle
corisponds to about 1/2 liter of pigmented black ink(about a pint), and
about 1/4 liter of each color (about a cup) it won't take you too long
to peform these tests.
August 12, 2005 5:08:55 PM

> These tests would be great if printers were a "big ticket item". But
> they're of little actual value today as a printer costs as much - or as
> little, depending how you look at it - as a set of new OEM refills.

Valid enough point if talking $100 inkjets like the ip4000... also what
would be valid the fact that the duty cycle is limited to 16 or 20
refills, and the fact that refills are close if not equal or greater
than the value of the printer. There are other printers that cost more
than the ink that such a project might benifit... even in the consumer
market. Also... if your mission is to reduce waste, decrease
downtime, anything along those lines I could see such a project being
of great benifit. Moreover... it would give people on a religious
crucade against the infidels who are using a kosher liquids facts
rather the repeated quotes from the OEM bible.... and let people make
up their own mind based on information rather than speculation. But
i'm being too much of an optmist because proof denys faith and without
faith we can't have zealots.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:16:52 PM

zakezuke wrote:

>>But they were using aftermarket inks. There are far less OEM users
>>reporting the problem with about the same amount of use.
>

> An inkjet such as the canon will clog if not used for a certain period
> of time regardless of the medium used. That is the drawback of inkjet
> printers, this is life. The offical limit of the Canon printers in
> terms of headlife is less than 20 tank replacements. Reality may be
> higher or lower depending on use, but these are facts based on the
> numbers canon publishes which are included in their service manuals.
> It just so happens that the duty cycle on the printer is the same as
> the printhead life. So if a given user is having problems printing,
> and they are on their 20th refill.... the printer has officaly reached
> the end of it's life.
>
> Further I've been reading the same newsgroup as you and I have no idea
> how much a given user is using a printer. This would be interesting
> useful data to compile but franky anyone speaking about head clogs or
> failure doesn't say their page count. I would love to be able to
> establish an accurate accounting of page counts from real users based
> on their choice of medium but I don't have that data. If you have this
> data, by all means share it. Otherwise people have no choice to assume
> that your feelings on the matter are based entirely on faith in OEM. I
> for one prefer maters of physical world to be evaluated scientifically.
>

> It is reasonable to assume that use of 3rd party ink would have an
> effect on head life. This is a very valid assumption. A good project
> would be to actually test this, actually measure out what affect
> different mediums would be used. Given the fact that the duty cycle
> corisponds to about 1/2 liter of pigmented black ink(about a pint), and
> about 1/4 liter of each color (about a cup) it won't take you too long
> to peform these tests.

These tests would be great if printers were a "big ticket item". But
they're of little actual value today as a printer costs as much - or as
little, depending how you look at it - as a set of new OEM refills. A
few years ago a printer of mine cost 8 times its cartridge price. Now I
see in the paper that I can get an iP4000 for the same price as its
cartridges! - which remain grossly overprice. So I don't really care if
using aftermarket inks lessens or prolongs the life of the
printer/printhead. This is all thanks to printer makers who have decided
to just "give away" the printers in the hopes of getting subscribers to
their incredibly lucrative ink marketing business, which is somewhere in
the billions of dollars annually. I read the amount but don't recall the
exact figures.

-Taliesyn
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:10:54 PM

No You are the old fart since you passed the recognition test

Jon B. wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> *SAIL ON THE SLOOP JON B*
>>
>> Jon B. wrote:

>>> I am just a lurker to this news group and cannot beleive the
>>> horribly things this person is allowed to post.
>>> Someone should do somwthing about it.
>>> Jon B.
>>

> Sloop jon b. Well that's revealing. It means you are an old fart just
> like you keep calling mr burt.
> Jon b.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:10:55 PM

measekite wrote:
> No You are the old fart since you passed the recognition test
>
> Jon B. wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:
>>
>>> *SAIL ON THE SLOOP JON B*

>> Sloop jon b. Well that's revealing. It means you are an old fart just
>> like you keep calling mr burt.
>> Jon b.

You just exposed yourself as an old fart in the process.
Jon B.
August 12, 2005 9:24:10 PM

> I keep seeing people give these prices but I don't actually see
> any at that price, at least from a reputable source.

Couldn't agree with you more. I did get my ip3000 from newegg for
$65ish not taking into account the rebate I was too lazy to mail in,
but now it's closer to $80. I do see some mail order outfits where the
ip4000 is $80 for a referb, but they want $20 shipping. I "have" seen
it for less with a $70 rebate, but that's if you buy a camera with it.
I gotta say $100 to $120 is about the price I expect to pay for one.

Now the best price on the mp750 is $100 + $30ish shipping from
outpost.com, but that's another ball of wax.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 3:52:01 AM

Taliesyn wrote:
> zakezuke wrote:
>
>>> But they were using aftermarket inks. There are far less OEM users
>>> reporting the problem with about the same amount of use.
>>

>> An inkjet such as the canon will clog if not used for a certain period
>> of time regardless of the medium used. That is the drawback of inkjet
>> printers, this is life. The offical limit of the Canon printers in
>> terms of headlife is less than 20 tank replacements. Reality may be
>> higher or lower depending on use, but these are facts based on the
>> numbers canon publishes which are included in their service manuals.
>> It just so happens that the duty cycle on the printer is the same as
>> the printhead life. So if a given user is having problems printing,
>> and they are on their 20th refill.... the printer has officaly reached
>> the end of it's life.
>>
>> Further I've been reading the same newsgroup as you and I have no idea
>> how much a given user is using a printer. This would be interesting
>> useful data to compile but franky anyone speaking about head clogs or
>> failure doesn't say their page count. I would love to be able to
>> establish an accurate accounting of page counts from real users based
>> on their choice of medium but I don't have that data. If you have this
>> data, by all means share it. Otherwise people have no choice to assume
>> that your feelings on the matter are based entirely on faith in OEM. I
>> for one prefer maters of physical world to be evaluated scientifically.
>>

>> It is reasonable to assume that use of 3rd party ink would have an
>> effect on head life. This is a very valid assumption. A good project
>> would be to actually test this, actually measure out what affect
>> different mediums would be used. Given the fact that the duty cycle
>> corisponds to about 1/2 liter of pigmented black ink(about a pint), and
>> about 1/4 liter of each color (about a cup) it won't take you too long
>> to peform these tests.
>>

> These tests would be great if printers were a "big ticket item". But
> they're of little actual value today as a printer costs as much - or as
> little, depending how you look at it - as a set of new OEM refills. A
> few years ago a printer of mine cost 8 times its cartridge price. Now I
> see in the paper that I can get an iP4000 for the same price as its
> cartridges! - which remain grossly overprice. So I don't really care if
> using aftermarket inks lessens or prolongs the life of the
> printer/printhead. This is all thanks to printer makers who have decided
> to just "give away" the printers in the hopes of getting subscribers to
> their incredibly lucrative ink marketing business, which is somewhere in
> the billions of dollars annually. I read the amount but don't recall the
> exact figures.
>
> -Taliesyn

I don't doubt that you have seen those prices if
you live where bargains are great. I keep seeing
people give these prices but I don't actually see
any at that price, at least from a reputable
source. Last week I bought an iP4000 locally
(Staples) for $120 plus tax before rebate. If I
get the rebate it will have cost me $106. I could
have bought it online from NewEgg, which has the
lowest price I have seen, but it would have cost
me $87.50 after rebate.

You can buy the 5 new Canon cartridges for about
$49. You can buy 5 refilled cartridges for
$14.75. Nowhere have I seen a new Canon iP4000
advertised for $42 and certainly not $15.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 3:52:02 AM

George E. Cawthon wrote:
> [...]
>> using aftermarket inks lessens or prolongs the life of the
>> printer/printhead. This is all thanks to printer makers who have decided
>> to just "give away" the printers in the hopes of getting subscribers to
>> their incredibly lucrative ink marketing business, which is somewhere in
>> the billions of dollars annually. I read the amount but don't recall
>> the exact figures.
>>
>> -Taliesyn
>

> I don't doubt that you have seen those prices if you live where bargains
> are great. I keep seeing people give these prices but I don't actually
> see any at that price, at least from a reputable source. Last week I
> bought an iP4000 locally (Staples) for $120 plus tax before rebate. If
> I get the rebate it will have cost me $106. I could have bought it
> online from NewEgg, which has the lowest price I have seen, but it would

You can buy the iP4000 in Canada at both Future Shop and Staples (major
chains here) for $129 CDN. The price of a set of 5 cartridges bought at
Wal-Mart here is about $125. They're a tad less at the above chains
mentioned (about $4 per cartridge less). Which poses the question for
some people: why buy just the refill cartridges for the approximately
same price as a new printer WITH 5 new cartridges?

> You can buy the 5 new Canon cartridges for about $49. You can buy 5
> refilled cartridges for $14.75. Nowhere have I seen a new Canon iP4000
> advertised for $42 and certainly not $15.

The quick answer that comes to mind is that Canon Canada squeezes more
money from Canadians than their counterpart in the US of A. They must
think we're richer. ;-)

-Taliesyn
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 11:41:32 AM

Taliesyn wrote:
> George E. Cawthon wrote:
>
>> Taliesyn wrote:

>>> These tests would be great if printers were a "big ticket item". But
>>> they're of little actual value today as a printer costs as much - or as
>>> little, depending how you look at it - as a set of new OEM refills. A
>>> few years ago a printer of mine cost 8 times its cartridge price. Now I
>>> see in the paper that I can get an iP4000 for the same price as its
>>> cartridges! - which remain grossly overprice. So I don't really care if
>>> using aftermarket inks lessens or prolongs the life of the
>>> printer/printhead. This is all thanks to printer makers who have decided
>>> to just "give away" the printers in the hopes of getting subscribers to
>>> their incredibly lucrative ink marketing business, which is somewhere in
>>> the billions of dollars annually. I read the amount but don't recall
>>> the exact figures.
>>>
>>> -Taliesyn
>>

>> I don't doubt that you have seen those prices if you live where
>> bargains are great. I keep seeing people give these prices but I
>> don't actually see any at that price, at least from a reputable
>> source. Last week I bought an iP4000 locally (Staples) for $120 plus
>> tax before rebate. If I get the rebate it will have cost me $106. I
>> could have bought it online from NewEgg, which has the lowest price I
>> have seen, but it would have cost me $87.50 after rebate.
>>

> You can buy the iP4000 in Canada at both Future Shop and Staples (major
> chains here) for $129 CDN. The price of a set of 5 cartridges bought at
> Wal-Mart here is about $125. They're a tad less at the above chains
> mentioned (about $4 per cartridge less). Which poses the question for
> some people: why buy just the refill cartridges for the approximately
> same price as a new printer WITH 5 new cartridges?
>
>> You can buy the 5 new Canon cartridges for about $49. You can buy 5
>> refilled cartridges for $14.75. Nowhere have I seen a new Canon
>> iP4000 advertised for $42 and certainly not $15.
>

> The quick answer that comes to mind is that Canon Canada squeezes more
> money from Canadians than their counterpart in the US of A. They must
> think we're richer. ;-)
>
> -Taliesyn

An eyeopener and thanks for clearing that up since
I wasn't thinking Canada and if I had I would not
have assumed the ink was so much more costly.
Sometimes there is no accounting for marketing.

It looks like an opportunity tho. Canadian users
buy a new machine just for the new ink, then clean
and sell the old (or the new) print head to US
users for half the cost that Canon asks. Both
Canada and US users would benefit. I suspect that
Canadians would be much further ahead just buying
refill ink.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 6:57:12 AM

Jon B. wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> No You are the old fart since you passed the recognition test
>>
>> Jon B. wrote:

>>> Sloop jon b. Well that's revealing. It means you are an old fart
>>> just like you keep calling mr burt.
>>> Jon b.
>>

> You just exposed yourself as an old fart in the process.
> Jon B.
August 9, 2012 6:26:52 AM

In some circumstances, you may need to replace an ink cartridge before it is empty.

If the ink out light is flashing or is on, replace the empty ink cartridge as described in Replacing an Empty Ink Cartridge.

To replace an ink cartridge before the ink out light flashes or the Status Monitor notifies you that the cartridge is empty, follow the instructions in this section.

Caution by Print24.com

Do not remove the cartridge from the printer until you are ready to replace it with the other one.

Make sure that the printer is on. The power light should be on, but not flashing.

Lower the output tray, then open the printer cover.

Press the ink button. The print head will move to the ink cartridge replacement position, and the power light will begin to flash.
!