Sign in with
Your question

Will the P5W-DH Deluxe Work with a 7950 GX2?

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 30, 2006 6:59:04 PM

Will the P5W-DH Deluxe Work with a 7950 GX2?

I called Asus and they gave me a bunch of I dont knows and 50/50 stuff.

Does anyone here have HANDS on experience with a 7950 gx2 working with the dh deluxe??

Any info is appreciated!

More about : p5w deluxe work 7950 gx2

August 30, 2006 7:48:02 PM

Ditch the 7950GX2, and get a X1950XTX...

For actual information, I'm not sure. I don't see why it shouldn't work... I'm pretty sure I've seen people do builds with that mobo and a 7950GX2, since the P5W-DH is one of the more popular mobo's out there, and I haven't heard of any problems...

Only issue I know with Asus boards is with OCZ memory... I say, go for it, and if it doesn't work, hopefully a bios update will solve things...
August 30, 2006 7:49:59 PM

I've heard numerous problems of people not getting it to work, personally, for that much money, I wouldn't chance it.
Related resources
August 30, 2006 7:50:37 PM

Quote:
Ditch the 7950GX2, and get a X1950XTX...

For actual information, I'm not sure. I don't see why it shouldn't work... I'm pretty sure I've seen people do builds with that mobo and a 7950GX2, since the P5W-DH is one of the more popular mobo's out there, and I haven't heard of any problems...

Only issue I know with Asus boards is with OCZ memory... I say, go for it, and if it doesn't work, hopefully a bios update will solve things...

He didn't ask for a recommendation for a new card, fanboy. :p 

Anyways, the 7950 GX2 should work just fine with that mobo.

Oh yeah! Proof? Here you go: http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/369/5/
August 30, 2006 8:16:32 PM

I have my 7950 up and running no problem on my P5B deluxe, but I am not sure about the P5W. The only issue I have had so far is it seems to be running very hot when set up ast dual display. Had to remove the side of my case and use a household fan until my extra GPU cooling comes in.
a b V Motherboard
August 30, 2006 8:33:10 PM

The big question is has anyone gotten the 7950 GX2 to work in multiGPU aka SLI mode on a 965 or 975?

Also never listen to people who say "I don't see why not" or "looking at the specs" they don't know anything, and if you are one of those people please don't ask others to plop down $550 on one of your whims.

Basically the 7950 GX2 requires PCI-E switching to run multi gpu mode which is only widely supported on SLI mobos. It will run on just about anything BUT only at half speed (no SLI). The only 975 board that claims compatibility with the 7950 GX2 is the intel bad axe. PCI-E switches are part of the PCI spec so everyone should support them and it's usually just a bios issue, but realistically it's only implemented on SLI boards.

I was planning on getting a GX2 for my 965-ds3 based system but after reading about all the issues I ditched it in favor of an X1900xtx
September 1, 2006 4:47:58 PM

I have this combination and it seems to work fine. However, it does seem to freeze when it plays videos. But for gaming it works very well.
!