NAT question...

I don't know if this is the right group to post this, as it is a NAT
question... anyways...

I currently have 1 shared ADSL connection on my network of 10 PC's...
To add bandwith I hope to add another connnection from another
provider.. to also make my network more robust (I won't rely on one
provider). My question is it possible to share 2 Internet connections
over the same network using microsoft's ICS? Or do I have to use
another type of NAT routing software/hardware? any suggestions
appreciated.

ggl_6 wrote:

> I currently have 1 shared ADSL connection on my network of 10 PC's...
> To add bandwith I hope to add another connnection from another
> provider.. to also make my network more robust (I won't rely on one
> provider).  My question is it possible to share 2 Internet connections
> over the same network using microsoft's ICS?  Or do I have to use
> another type of NAT routing software/hardware?  any suggestions
> appreciated.

While it's possible, a far better method, would be to use one of those cheap
firewall/router boxes.

James Knott wrote:

> ggl_6 wrote:
>
>> I currently have 1 shared ADSL connection on my network of 10 PC's...
>> To add bandwith I hope to add another connnection from another
>> provider.. to also make my network more robust (I won't rely on one
>> provider).  My question is it possible to share 2 Internet connections
>> over the same network using microsoft's ICS?  Or do I have to use
>> another type of NAT routing software/hardware?  any suggestions
>> appreciated.
>
> While it's possible,

How does one configure ICS to balance the load between two ports?

> a far better method, would be to use one of those
> cheap firewall/router boxes.

Where does one find a "cheap firewall/router box" with load sharing and
failover?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J. Clarke wrote:

>> a far better method, would be to use one of those
>> cheap firewall/router boxes.
>
> Where does one find a "cheap firewall/router box" with load sharing and
> failover?

Sorry, I missed the part about the 2nd connection.

In article <1106302078.071823.124830@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
ggl_6 <dakirsch@yahoo.com> wrote:
:I don't know if this is the right group to post this, as it is a NAT
:question... anyways...

comp.protocols.tcp-ip or comp.security.firewalls might have been
better.

:I currently have 1 shared ADSL connection on my network of 10 PC's...
:To add bandwith I hope to add another connnection from another
:provider.. to also make my network more robust (I won't rely on one
:provider). My question is it possible to share 2 Internet connections
:eek:ver the same network using microsoft's ICS? Or do I have to use
:another type of NAT routing software/hardware? any suggestions
:appreciated.

Chances are that it will not work the way you want it to.
You need some way of determining which outgoing requests will go
to which provider; and you need to understand that when you
send a request via one provider that -all- of the traffic in
response is going to come through that provider; and you need
a mechanism for automatically detecting failure of one of the
providers and switching over to the other... ideally without having
the existing connections go down.

We deal with this sort of question a fair bit in comp.dcom.sys.cisco .
Here are a couple of threads in which some of the issues are discussed:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=ddf83aad.0307090527.289abcf3%40posting.google.com

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=2c39af62.0211172323.78de6241%40posting.google.com

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=5mV8d.18%24nl4.14%40twister.socal.rr.com
--
Studies show that the average reader ignores 106% of all statistics
they see in .signatures.