duplicates of shared folders

I'm new to multiple users on the same machine. I dragged my pictures folder
into the shared folder and I can't seem to get it so I haven't created two
sets of folders meaning I have doubled the several gigs of pictures from my
pictures into the shared folder. Can someone explain to me how I should do
this and not duplicate files on my hard drive?
4 answers Last reply
More about duplicates shared folders

    Drag the contents but not the folder. Create a new folder for the pictures.
    The My Pictures Folder is a system folder. Select all (CTRL-A) to highlight
    all the pictures in the My Pictures Folder and then drag using the right
    mouse button to the new folder. A context menu will appear when you release
    the mouse button. Choose move instead of copy.

    "jcoffin" <jcoffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm new to multiple users on the same machine. I dragged my pictures
    > folder
    > into the shared folder and I can't seem to get it so I haven't created two
    > sets of folders meaning I have doubled the several gigs of pictures from
    > my
    > pictures into the shared folder. Can someone explain to me how I should
    > do
    > this and not duplicate files on my hard drive?

    I'm not sure how to get out of what I've already done. I think that I have
    duplicates of both my "my pictures" and my "my music" folders in both the
    section under me as a user and under the all users folder. I'm confused as
    to what I should delete at this point. I tried deleting the files out of
    the all users directory but then I showed nothing when I went to my pictures
    from the start menu. It's even hard to tell at this point whether these are
    actually duplicates or not. It sounds like you're saying that as long as I
    have the folders in both locations, moving the files to the shared directory
    will show them in the user and in the shared as long as there is a folder
    labeled my pictures. Did that make any sense what I just said? I'm starting
    to confuse myself again...

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Drag the contents but not the folder. Create a new folder for the pictures.
    > The My Pictures Folder is a system folder. Select all (CTRL-A) to highlight
    > all the pictures in the My Pictures Folder and then drag using the right
    > mouse button to the new folder. A context menu will appear when you release
    > the mouse button. Choose move instead of copy.
    >
    > "jcoffin" <jcoffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm new to multiple users on the same machine. I dragged my pictures
    > > folder
    > > into the shared folder and I can't seem to get it so I haven't created two
    > > sets of folders meaning I have doubled the several gigs of pictures from
    > > my
    > > pictures into the shared folder. Can someone explain to me how I should
    > > do
    > > this and not duplicate files on my hard drive?

    The system folders can be viewed from many places but that does not mean
    they installed more than once. If you have System Restore enabled, go to
    Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Utilities>System Restore and pick a
    restore point a day or so before you started all this. See if that undoes
    the problem.

    > I'm not sure how to get out of what I've already done. I think that I
    > have
    > duplicates of both my "my pictures" and my "my music" folders in both the
    > section under me as a user and under the all users folder. I'm confused
    > as
    > to what I should delete at this point. I tried deleting the files out of
    > the all users directory but then I showed nothing when I went to my
    > pictures
    > from the start menu. It's even hard to tell at this point whether these
    > are
    > actually duplicates or not. It sounds like you're saying that as long as
    > have the folders in both locations, moving the files to the shared
    > directory
    > will show them in the user and in the shared as long as there is a folder
    > labeled my pictures. Did that make any sense what I just said? I'm
    > starting
    > to confuse myself again...
    >

    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> Drag the contents but not the folder. Create a new folder for the
    >> pictures.
    >> The My Pictures Folder is a system folder. Select all (CTRL-A) to
    >> highlight
    >> all the pictures in the My Pictures Folder and then drag using the right
    >> mouse button to the new folder. A context menu will appear when you
    >> release
    >> the mouse button. Choose move instead of copy.
    >>
    >> "jcoffin" <jcoffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm new to multiple users on the same machine. I dragged my pictures
    >> > folder
    >> > into the shared folder and I can't seem to get it so I haven't created
    >> > two
    >> > sets of folders meaning I have doubled the several gigs of pictures
    >> > from
    >> > my
    >> > pictures into the shared folder. Can someone explain to me how I
    >> > should
    >> > do
    >> > this and not duplicate files on my hard drive?

    Thanks for your help! I think I have it sorted out- they were duplicates
    because they increased the size of my hard drive by several gigs. I removed
    from the shared folder and now I just have them under my account. I'm trying
    to find a good method of sharing the my pictures and music folders with my
    wife but I have discovered that some programs just won't access anything from
    the shared directory- they only see the individual user's directories...

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP