Closed

DISKPART disaster

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

i did something incredibly stupid, using the DISKPART command to CLEAN a drive, i failed to notice that diskpart was actually logged-on to the *wrong* volume at the time, so i inadvertently wiped-out the partition table (i'm assuming) on a drive that was not the intended target. (the drive in question is external firewire)

now, before i panic, i would like to hear from those who have used the DISPART command and what they would recommend for recovering the partition information, ie, reconstruct the partition table... it shouldn't be that difficult, but i haven't faced this situation before, as i'm usually extremely careful. apparently my luck just ran out today though.

please advise, asap... thanks
--
francis
dekerf at h0tmail d0t c0m

    Hi, Francis.

    There are TWO DiskParts in Win2K/XP. Which one did you use? One is a part
    of the Recovery Console; this is quite limited and does little except create
    and delete partitions. The other is DiskPart.exe, a shell that can be
    activated by typing Diskpart at the Command Prompt. This is a much more
    capable utility, which can extend partitions and do other functions.

    I've only used DiskPart.exe a couple of times and goofed both times. Each
    time I extended a partition by more than I intended, but the result was
    acceptable, so I kept it.

    That's about all I can tell you. I don't have firewire or any external
    drive except for an old SCSI SyJet. I have rebuilt partition tables (it's
    only 64 bytes in the first physical sector of the HD), but not recently.
    There are recovery tools available, so don't give up too soon - and don't
    let anything write to that HD until you've completed the recovery!
    Rebuilding a partition table is usually easy - IF you have the right tool.
    But you have to switch to thinking of drive NUMBERS and partition numbers,
    rather than as drive LETTERS, and that can get confusing. :>(

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "francis gérard" <spam@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    i did something incredibly stupid, using the DISKPART command to CLEAN a
    drive, i failed to notice that diskpart was actually logged-on to the
    *wrong* volume at the time, so i inadvertently wiped-out the partition table
    (i'm assuming) on a drive that was not the intended target. (the drive in
    question is external firewire)

    now, before i panic, i would like to hear from those who have used the
    DISPART command and what they would recommend for recovering the partition
    information, ie, reconstruct the partition table... it shouldn't be that
    difficult, but i haven't faced this situation before, as i'm usually
    extremely careful. apparently my luck just ran out today though.

    please advise, asap... thanks
    --
    francis
    dekerf at h0tmail d0t c0m
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "R. C. White" <RCWhite@msn.com> wrote in message news:Od8OUikfEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Hi, Francis.
    >
    > There are TWO DiskParts in Win2K/XP. Which one did you use? One is a part
    > of the Recovery Console; this is quite limited and does little except create
    > and delete partitions. The other is DiskPart.exe, a shell that can be
    > activated by typing Diskpart at the Command Prompt. This is a much more
    > capable utility, which can extend partitions and do other functions.

    i used the DISKPART command shell in Windows XP

    > I've only used DiskPart.exe a couple of times and goofed both times. Each
    > time I extended a partition by more than I intended, but the result was
    > acceptable, so I kept it.

    "goofed" would be an understatement in this case, i was not careful enough to make certain DISKPART was logged-on to the correct volume before i issued the CLEAN command

    > That's about all I can tell you. I don't have firewire or any external
    > drive except for an old SCSI SyJet. I have rebuilt partition tables (it's
    > only 64 bytes in the first physical sector of the HD), but not recently.
    > There are recovery tools available, so don't give up too soon - and don't
    > let anything write to that HD until you've completed the recovery!
    > Rebuilding a partition table is usually easy - IF you have the right tool.

    that's the crux of my question... WHAT tool will easily reconstruct the partition table, this should be rudimentary, but i'm not familiar with the appropriate tools... yet.

    > But you have to switch to thinking of drive NUMBERS and partition numbers,
    > rather than as drive LETTERS, and that can get confusing. :>(

    yes, i'm aware of that, but i simply 'goofed' as you put it, i forgot to SELECT the correct drive.

    --
    francis
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Google is your friend. There are a number of recovery tools available.
    Search for [recover "partition table"] without the brackets. Good luck!

    francis gérard wrote:

    > i did something incredibly stupid, using the DISKPART command to CLEAN a drive, i failed to notice that diskpart was actually logged-on to the *wrong* volume at the time, so i inadvertently wiped-out the partition table (i'm assuming) on a drive that was not the intended target. (the drive in question is external firewire)
    >
    > now, before i panic, i would like to hear from those who have used the DISPART command and what they would recommend for recovering the partition information, ie, reconstruct the partition table... it shouldn't be that difficult, but i haven't faced this situation before, as i'm usually extremely careful. apparently my luck just ran out today though.
    >
    > please advise, asap... thanks
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message news:%23VFNPblfEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Google is your friend. There are a number of recovery tools available.
    > Search for [recover "partition table"] without the brackets. Good luck!

    ugh yeah, thanks dickhead

    --
    francis

    Doesn't take much to insult you does it?
    I thought his message was polite and informative.

    "sgopus" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > look harder

    i have
    --
    franci
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Ya know, you really need to get above this, it's not a
    personal thing, I just object to arrogant attitudes and
    lack of courtesy. When I see it, I usually make a comment
    about it, a simple resolution to our (disagreement), be
    more polite, thanks.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    > Ya know, you really need to get above this, it's not a
    > personal thing, I just object to arrogant attitudes and
    > lack of courtesy. When I see it, I usually make a comment
    > about it, a simple resolution to our (disagreement), be
    > more polite, thanks.

    you've already made it personal, a few discussion threads prior to this one,
    and as i've suggested to you before, please add me to your newsreader's
    kill-filter and be done with it. oh, and don't presume to tell me how to
    behave online either. again, i implore you, block me and move on. thank
    you.

    --
    francis
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    it's the web interface, no ability to kill-filter anything.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    > it's the web interface, no ability to kill-filter anything.

    oh, i'm sorry to hear that

    well, allow me then...

    *plonk*
    --
    francis
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:03:08 -0400, francis gérard <spam@spamcop.net>
    wrote in microsoft.public.win2000.general,
    microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,
    microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,
    microsoft.public.win2000.hardware, microsoft.public.win2000.setup:

    >"Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message news:%23VFNPblfEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> Google is your friend. There are a number of recovery tools available.
    >> Search for [recover "partition table"] without the brackets. Good luck!
    >
    >ugh yeah, thanks dickhead

    Eh? How does Dan's advice warrant such response? You may want to
    consider who wiped your partition table.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "Michael Bednarek" <ROT13(zo@gtz.pbz.nh)> wrote in message

    > Eh? How does Dan's advice warrant such response? You may want to
    > consider who wiped your partition table.

    just as your followup is now, imbued with sarcasm, so was dan's

    and i invite you both to fuk off

    --
    francis
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    I see I'm not the only one to notice his lack of manners.
    He think's I'm just picking on him, if he were in public
    and I heard him say things like that, I would say
    something. The lack of manners in the general public is
    appalling, people think they are an island unto themselves
    and owe no one curtesy, and when someone complains they
    get upset, Please people understand, your swearing and
    hostile behaviour hurts others and yourself if Jesus were
    in front you in those times would you still say the same
    thing, well consider this, Jesus is listening all the time!
    I do accept my behaviour in the past, I do not excuse it,I
    admit I'm a sinner, I try not to do those things.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    you are the one asking for help because you did not know what your were
    doing. and now people try to help you out and your disgrace them. you are
    the DICKHEAD.

    "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
    > Google is your friend. There are a number of recovery tools available.
    > Search for [recover "partition table"] without the brackets. Good luck!

    ugh yeah, thanks dickhead

    --
    francis
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "spacecity dude" <don_sp@nospam_argon.net> wrote in message
    > you are the one asking for help because you did not know what your were
    > doing. and now people try to help you out and your disgrace them. you
    > are
    > the DICKHEAD.

    ok homer, thanks for that 'thoughtful' followup, seems everyone's gotta get
    their 2cents in, and yours was worth about half that
    --
    francis
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    well actually i think it was started by a smartass comment too. replying to
    a queston "google is your friend" with no usable or meaningful respoce the
    the question at had is just rude. It doesn't excuse the dickhead and other
    comments that came after but it was invited.

    Suppose he searched google aready and did use the right search terms and
    found nothing? After all his question wasn't 'how to recover a blown
    partition" but how to do it with the tools microsoft made availible. The
    advice to continue to search google would be completly useless. Then again
    why would he need to search google when he was searching microsoft and
    microsoft said to try this newsgroup? Maybe you should come down from the
    high horse and think about your rush to brilience that will often show your
    stupidity.

    "spacecity dude" <don_sp@nospam_argon.net> wrote in message
    > you are the one asking for help because you did not know what your were
    > doing. and now people try to help you out and your disgrace them. you
    are
    > the DICKHEAD.
    >
    > "francis gérard" <spam@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    >
    > "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
    > > Google is your friend. There are a number of recovery tools available.
    > > Search for [recover "partition table"] without the brackets. Good luck!
    >
    > ugh yeah, thanks dickhead
    >
    > --
    > francis

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Dan Seur is one of the more knowledgeable person on this NG when it
    comes to hard drives and drive configurations and disasters like the one
    you have encountered. He suggested that you do a search on the net to
    find a recovery utility for your predicament.

    The bottom line is this: You have destroyed the file or partition table
    on your hard drive and Windows has NO utility whatsoever or any trick of
    any kind up its sleeves to undo the damage that you did. You will need
    a recovery utility to restore the file index or partition table of the
    drive. While many software companies claim that their recovery
    utilities can restore the tables the end results are not always
    accordingly. You will have to search the net and read up on what
    different recovery utilities can and cannot do.

    John

    francis gérard wrote:
    > "spacecity dude" <don_sp@nospam_argon.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>you are the one asking for help because you did not know what your were
    >>doing. and now people try to help you out and your disgrace them. you
    >>are
    >>the DICKHEAD.
    >

    > ok homer, thanks for that 'thoughtful' followup, seems everyone's gotta get
    > their 2cents in, and yours was worth about half that
    > --
    > francis

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > Dan Seur is one of the more knowledgeable person on this NG when it comes
    > to hard drives and drive configurations and disasters like the one you
    > have encountered. He suggested that you do a search on the net to find a
    > recovery utility for your predicament.

    we'll agree to disagree on mr seur's intentions

    > The bottom line is this: You have destroyed the file or partition table
    > on your hard drive and Windows has NO utility whatsoever or any trick of
    > any kind up its sleeves to undo the damage that you did. You will need a
    > recovery utility to restore the file index or partition table of the
    > drive. While many software companies claim that their recovery utilities
    > can restore the tables the end results are not always accordingly. You
    > will have to search the net and read up on what different recovery
    > utilities can and cannot do.

    thank you, john, for your cogent followup, and NO i didn't expect that
    Windows had any such magical utilities, i merely wanted advice from those
    who had found themselves in the same predicament after using the diskpart
    utility. i made that explicit. i would not have bothered had i been
    prepared for some of the responses i've seen here, and advising someone that
    'google is your friend' is dismissive and insulting.

    in any event, as i've already stated, a solution was found, the data and
    directory structures were fully recovered, and no thanks to a google search,
    or any of the 'helpful' followups, i might add.

    --
    francis
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    As I posted before, rudeness does not justify rudeness,
    and or name calling, all it does it make people angry.
    I think we all have a voice inside that tells us we did
    wrong, some are more quiet than others. Francis have a
    good day.

    No it's not a personal attack, I don't even know you, I
    object to the behaviour of rudeness.

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    francis gérard wrote:

    > "Michael Bednarek" <ROT13(zo@gtz.pbz.nh)> wrote in message
    >

    >>Eh? How does Dan's advice warrant such response? You may want to
    >>consider who wiped your partition table.
    >

    > just as your followup is now, imbued with sarcasm, so was dan's
    >
    > and i invite you both to fuk off
    >
    > --
    > francis

    Francis post was interesting since I was having a problem similar to
    his, although the causes were different. The situation was, I had a
    perfectly good 80G 2.5 hard disc that was totally unusable since its
    partition table got corrupted to the point neither Dos nor Windows would
    boot with it installed in a machine (the cause of this corruption is not
    clear). No Dos (Fdisk or other) or Windows utility could be used to
    correct the situation and inserting the disk in a USB enclosure and
    connnecting it to a running machine did not work either, the disk not
    being detected at all.

    As a last resort, before throwing away the disk (whose data was
    backed-up, thank you), I installed it in a machine running under Linux.
    This is no way a criticism of MS but the fact is, I was offered to
    format the disk (after a message informed me that its file system was
    not recognized, big surprise) and my disk was revived in seconds.

    Of course, this approach would have made any retrieving of data on the
    disk possibly impossible (or more difficult) but this was not an issue
    here and I salvaged my disk which was a satisfaction offsetting to some
    extent the frustation ...

    FWIW...

    Regards

    --
    John Doue
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    > "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > i would not have bothered had i been
    > prepared for some of the responses i've seen here, and advising someone
    that
    > 'google is your friend' is dismissive and insulting.

    As I read it, most of the negative comment you have received in this thread
    has resulted from the nature of your response to Dan's dreaded "Giyf"
    response. I have seen others actually be thanked for advice given in that
    format, so am at a loss as to how you thought it dismissive and insulting.
    Unless, perhaps, you feel that anyone reading your post should be
    automatically aware that you were sophisticated enough to not have to be
    reminded about google.

    /Al
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Not to say that one rude remark is justified by another, but...

    "jazz" <aprilo9@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message
    > well actually i think it was started by a smartass comment too. replying
    > a queston "google is your friend" with no usable or meaningful respoce the
    > the question at had is just rude. It doesn't excuse the dickhead and other
    > comments that came after but it was invited.
    >
    > Suppose he searched google aready and did use the right search terms and
    > found nothing?

    How is one to be able to suppose such a thing? And if one supposes that the
    poster has tried all manner of sensible strategies, then what sensible
    strategy could one provide that he was guaranteed not to have already tried?

    > After all his question wasn't 'how to recover a blown
    > partition" but how to do it with the tools microsoft made availible.

    In fact, the poster himself clarified that that was not his intent,i.e.: " i
    didn't expect that
    Windows had any such magical utilities, i merely wanted advice from those
    who had found themselves in the same predicament after using the diskpart
    utility."

    So given the fact that you misinterpreted his post yourself, isn't it a bit
    presumptuous to complain about someone else's apparent misinterpretation?

    > The
    > advice to continue to search google would be completly useless.

    A good number of posts I have seen where people are looking for help wind up
    eliciting a few erroneous responses. These are most often caused by a
    combination of misunderstanding and poor explanations of a problem. When you
    come here looking for help you are not paying by the word, so all one need
    do is to take the good answers, thank others for the poor ones, and get on
    with things.

    > Then again
    > why would he need to search google when he was searching microsoft and
    > microsoft said to try this newsgroup?

    Somehow I missed where he was redirected here from a search of Microsoft.
    But since others "here" use the "Giyf" response, what else would one expect?

    > Maybe you should come down from the
    > high horse and think about your rush to brilience that will often show
    your
    > stupidity.

    You are, imho, reading too much into spacecity dude's comment. There is no
    issue of high horses and rushing to brilliance so much as simply being
    polite.

    /Al

    > "spacecity dude" <don_sp@nospam_argon.net> wrote in message
    > > you are the one asking for help because you did not know what your were
    > > doing. and now people try to help you out and your disgrace them. you
    > are
    > > the DICKHEAD.
    > >
    > > "francis gérard" <spam@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
    > > > Google is your friend. There are a number of recovery tools available.
    > > > Search for [recover "partition table"] without the brackets. Good
    luck!

    > > ugh yeah, thanks dickhead
    > >
    > > --
    > > francis

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Hey Francis (and everybody :-)

    I hadn't revisited until just now. Hurricane Charley passed a few miles
    south of Tampa and I was off praying for the folks down there while
    handling the adrenaline decompression with my neighbors, Jack Daniels,
    and bedrest.

    Francis - GIYF is an expression, actually, that I picked up a few years
    ago in one of these MS NGs, and have used a number of times when a
    question intrigued me, and I googled & found what I thought might be
    useful hits. Your reaction startled me, but I went away with no
    particular hard feelings. It reminded me of an incident a long time ago,
    when as an innocent PR fledgling (long before an IBM tech mgt career) I
    changed the colors of a poster an artist had done for me, and
    unwittingly offended him deeply. He simply exploded when he saw the
    printer's proof. I just waited it out. No sense alienating an entire art
    dept, all of whom were watching the guy defend their human rights, and
    all of whom were equally offended.

    I absolutely did not intend a dismissive or insulting interpretation. On
    reflection, I guess some folks might see it that way, though. And I
    suppose it's not that much harder to type "I think a google search might
    help you." Even with one or 2 pasted hits. I hope the offense you took
    will wear off...

    I haven't read the entire thread, just the most recent 2 timestamps, but
    I gather there's been a prolonged conversation about all this. Sorry
    about that, everybody - a thoroughly unintended consequence, and awkward
    for everybody.

    francis gérard wrote:
    > i did something incredibly stupid, using the DISKPART command to CLEAN a drive, i failed to notice that diskpart was actually logged-on to the *wrong* volume at the time, so i inadvertently wiped-out the partition table (i'm assuming) on a drive that was not the intended target. (the drive in question is external firewire)
    >
    > now, before i panic, i would like to hear from those who have used the DISPART command and what they would recommend for recovering the partition information, ie, reconstruct the partition table... it shouldn't be that difficult, but i haven't faced this situation before, as i'm usually extremely careful. apparently my luck just ran out today though.
    >
    > please advise, asap... thanks
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "Al Dunbar [MS-MVP]" <alan-no-drub-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > As I read it, most of the negative comment you have received in this
    > thread
    > has resulted from the nature of your response to Dan's dreaded "Giyf"
    > response. I have seen others actually be thanked for advice given in that
    > format, so am at a loss as to how you thought it dismissive and insulting.
    > Unless, perhaps, you feel that anyone reading your post should be
    > automatically aware that you were sophisticated enough to not have to be
    > reminded about google.

    in the end, it comes down to miscommunication and misunderstanding, with a
    touch of frustration and arrogance thrown in. i certainly over-reacted, as
    i sometimes (ok often) do, and mr seur did not deserve to be called a
    dickhead, despite what i still consider to have been a dismissive, if not
    mildly insulting, followup. if i've misjudged his intentions at the time,
    then i apologize for that, and for likening his his head to that of a
    phallus. (ahem)

    i should hope we'll both know better the next time, and i wasn't aware of
    the "dreaded GIYF" response from dan, but i thank you for the heads-up on
    that.
    --
    francis
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    > Hey Francis (and everybody :-)

    my gaud, this has got to be the thread that just won't die, much to my
    chagrin and embarrassment. please see my followup to Al, where i apologized
    for having called you that unsavoury name (well, depending on one's
    preferences, i suppose)... in any case, please allow me to say again, i'm
    sorry for over-reacting and i appreciate your sensitive and rational
    followup just now.

    cheers
    --
    francis
    (walks away with tail b/w his legs)

    I became great friends with that artist, later. :-)

    TAILS UP!

    francis gérard wrote:

    > "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hey Francis (and everybody :-)
    >

    > my gaud, this has got to be the thread that just won't die, much to my
    > chagrin and embarrassment. please see my followup to Al, where i apologized
    > for having called you that unsavoury name (well, depending on one's
    > preferences, i suppose)... in any case, please allow me to say again, i'm
    > sorry for over-reacting and i appreciate your sensitive and rational
    > followup just now.
    >
    > cheers
    > --
    > francis
    > (walks away with tail b/w his legs)

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    >I became great friends with that artist, later. :-)
    >
    > TAILS UP!

    good... done
    --
    francis

    ps i have some artist friends myself... 'handle with care' ;-)
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Oh...did you ever get what you really asked for out of this NG?
    Meant to ask yesterday, guess the old mentis isn't fully compos yet.
    Just curious - don't really have anything to offer, not been in that
    exact situation.

    francis gérard wrote:
    > "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I became great friends with that artist, later. :-)
    >>
    >>TAILS UP!
    >

    > good... done
    > --
    > francis
    >
    > ps i have some artist friends myself... 'handle with care' ;-)

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    > Oh...did you ever get what you really asked for out of this NG?
    > Meant to ask yesterday, guess the old mentis isn't fully compos yet.
    > Just curious - don't really have anything to offer, not been in that exact
    > situation.

    yes, in fact i did, after recovering from the initial panic which lead my
    fervent posting in the NGs, i was later able to recover the files and
    directory structures intact, using a well-known tool called R-Studio.
    coincidentally enough, a colleague of mine had uploaded R-Studio to my ftp
    server only a few days before (for evaluation purposes, of course... ahem).
    it was only after i collected my wits, the few i had remaining at the time,
    that i suddenly remembered seeing this recovery utility in the incoming ftp
    directory.

    i would have preferred a utility to reconstruct the partititon table, that
    should have been easier and taken less time, but at least the data was
    recovered to another drive, then a repartition and reformat later, it was
    all back to normal.

    thanks for asking...

    --
    francis
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Well, after a near-miss hurricane down here and your accidental
    meltdown we both came thru OK. Glad to hear it :-)

    francis gérard wrote:

    > "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Oh...did you ever get what you really asked for out of this NG?
    >>Meant to ask yesterday, guess the old mentis isn't fully compos yet.
    >>Just curious - don't really have anything to offer, not been in that exact
    >>situation.
    >

    > yes, in fact i did, after recovering from the initial panic which lead my
    > fervent posting in the NGs, i was later able to recover the files and
    > directory structures intact, using a well-known tool called R-Studio.
    > coincidentally enough, a colleague of mine had uploaded R-Studio to my ftp
    > server only a few days before (for evaluation purposes, of course... ahem).
    > it was only after i collected my wits, the few i had remaining at the time,
    > that i suddenly remembered seeing this recovery utility in the incoming ftp
    > directory.
    >
    > i would have preferred a utility to reconstruct the partititon table, that
    > should have been easier and taken less time, but at least the data was
    > recovered to another drive, then a repartition and reformat later, it was
    > all back to normal.
    >
    > thanks for asking...
    >
    > --
    > francis

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    > Well, after a near-miss hurricane down here and your accidental
    > meltdown we both came thru OK. Glad to hear it :-)

    your hurricane sounds much more exciting than my lost partition... but i'll
    be grateful for not having to deal with a crisis like that. i lived through
    a hurricane when i was younger, it was scary, and one hell of a thrill for a
    kid my age. my family's home was spared, except for the huge apple tree
    that smashed through our garage in the back... which actually saved our tiny
    little house, many of our neighbours were not so lucky. it was surreal to
    walk down the streets, cluttered with fallen trees, upended cars and trucks,
    electrical wires sparking, debris everywhere, and the site of my neighbour's
    roof resting on their front lawn. but what really struck me, and has stayed
    with me since, is how everyone came together and helped each other out. i
    remember being the 'sandwich boy' bringing trays of sandwiches, that my
    mother made, to the school gymnasium, for the families whose homes had been
    destroyed. our neighbours stayed at our place for the next few weeks.

    too bad it often takes a tragedy to bring about a bit of humanity

    --
    francis
  32. Quote:
    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message news:%23VFNPblfEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Google is your friend. There are a number of recovery tools available.
    > Search for [recover "partition table"] without the brackets. Good luck!

    ugh yeah, thanks dickhead

    --
    francis

    Why waste peoples time with stupid posts like this. Thats how we all got here with google bird brain !!!
  33. Can't someone take a disk like f32 and put test file on it and then clean with diskpart. Find a program and restore that file and tell us !!! Everyone says send it off or google it or try million different things that are untested !!!!
  34. This topic has been closed by Proximon

Microsoft Command Prompt Partition Table Windows