Find USERID for Last Modified files and folders

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Is there a method or a 3rd-party tool to find the userid that last
modified files and folders. There are some users on our network that
are MOVEing files and folders instead of COPYing them. These
particular files need to be accessable and editable by all. But, we
need to educate those who are unaware of their actions if we can only
track them down.

Thanks,
MJR
3 answers Last reply
More about find userid modified files folders
  1. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Mikka" <google@horses-mouth.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a method or a 3rd-party tool to find the userid that last
    > modified files and folders. There are some users on our network that
    > are MOVEing files and folders instead of COPYing them. These
    > particular files need to be accessable and editable by all. But, we
    > need to educate those who are unaware of their actions if we can only
    > track them down.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MJR

    Why not just set the security rights up so that users can copy but not move,
    would be easier

    Jud
  2. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Jud" <jud@livingroom.com> wrote in message news:<n4SRc.966$zT5.604@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>...
    > "Mikka" <google@horses-mouth.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there a method or a 3rd-party tool to find the userid that last
    > > modified files and folders. There are some users on our network that
    > > are MOVEing files and folders instead of COPYing them. These
    > > particular files need to be accessable and editable by all. But, we
    > > need to educate those who are unaware of their actions if we can only
    > > track them down.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > MJR
    >
    > Why not just set the security rights up so that users can copy but not move,
    > would be easier
    >
    > Jud

    There is no MOVE permission that I can find...

    But, I set DELETE and DELETE SUBFOLDERS AND FILES to DENY on the
    PROPERTIES | ADVANCED SECURITY | PERMISSIONS Object with "Apply onto:
    This folder and subfolders" and the Check Box "Apply these permissions
    to objects and/or container within this container only" on the
    uppermost folder in a tree. It seems prevent a MOVE (copy & delete)
    and only allow a copy with an error message.

    Am I on the right track?

    MJR
  3. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On 10 Aug 2004 08:50:39 -0700, googleusergroups@horses-mouth.com (Mikka) wrote:

    >"Jud" <jud@livingroom.com> wrote in message news:<n4SRc.966$zT5.604@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>...
    >> "Mikka" <google@horses-mouth.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is there a method or a 3rd-party tool to find the userid that last
    >> > modified files and folders. There are some users on our network that
    >> > are MOVEing files and folders instead of COPYing them. These
    >> > particular files need to be accessable and editable by all. But, we
    >> > need to educate those who are unaware of their actions if we can only
    >> > track them down.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > MJR
    >>
    >> Why not just set the security rights up so that users can copy but not move,
    >> would be easier
    >>
    >> Jud
    >
    >There is no MOVE permission that I can find...
    >
    >But, I set DELETE and DELETE SUBFOLDERS AND FILES to DENY on the
    >PROPERTIES | ADVANCED SECURITY | PERMISSIONS Object with "Apply onto:
    >This folder and subfolders" and the Check Box "Apply these permissions
    >to objects and/or container within this container only" on the
    >uppermost folder in a tree. It seems prevent a MOVE (copy & delete)
    >and only allow a copy with an error message.
    >
    >Am I on the right track?
    >
    >MJR

    Yes.

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows: General MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com

File System Networking Microsoft Windows