MS Office 2000 Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

are you sure about that? I bet it would run via compatibility mode if nothing else.

On another note: It is time to upgrade your office suite! If you are not doing a lot of file sharing then move up to Open Office or Libre Office. If you do share files with a lot of people then you may want to pay for at least Office 2007 to get the new docx format.

office 2000 is end of life software. It was not even supported in windows7, I would expect that parts of it would work on windows 7 or 8 but if you hit problems you will not get any support. Time to find a new program or a file viewer that will read your old files.

sfmreb2

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Office 2000 is working great on my windows 8 PC. I just put the disk in and it loaded just like it did on XP. The reason some of us use 2000 is because it works just fine for Excel and Word. Why spend money when you do not to. :bounce:

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Ok first what is with all the double (or more) posts?

Second there are very good reasons to get a new program. If you don't want to pony up and pay for MS Office that is fine, especially if you don't need that much functionality. The biggest reason to upgrade is compatability. I know they have the compatibility pack but that is not the most reliable tool. MS office, libre office and open office all have support for docx files (and the others) and the latter two are free. All three programs also have loads more functionality and more importantly more security features than office 2000 does.

Some things get better with time, outdated software is not one of those things.

RetiredTech

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

I have installed Office 2000 plus updates, service packs, security patches and compatibility updates for Works and .docx files on many Windows 7 computers.
However, the original Office 2000 installation will not run on my new Windows 8 HP computer due to ODBC files missing for FoxPro, MS Access and several others. Does anyone have information on how to add these ODBC hooks so that Office 2000 will load? I am curious as to how sfmreb2 completed his Office 2000 install so easily.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
yes it works fine, I'm using it now. install, all you need to do is use the setup in the cdrom drive, click on that and set the .exe to compatiable for 98 or xp disable scaling, allow all users to be admin, then set to run as admin, close and start the .exe to run as admin install will work now
office.jpg

office3.jpg

office4.jpg

sparky_98

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
What's with all the attitude towards people wanting to use an old version of Office? I'm a POWER user, and I wouldn't touch anything newer than Office 2003 with a 10 foot pole. Seriously, productivity-wise, going from Office 2000/2002/2003 to a newer version, with that awful ribbon interface (and other issues) is like going from a Ferrari to a bicycle. But, even worse, you now have to learn to steer the bicycle with your feet and work the pedals with your hands. So, for future reference, please don't give people a hard time for using an old version.

P.S. Oh, also, I paid for my copies of 2000 and 2002 and own use of them for life. By comparison, you're basically renting your Office 2007/2010/2013 as well as most "modern" software. When you are no longer allowed to activate your "modern" office in a few years because you ran out of activations or because M$ no longer wants to support your software, you'll be SOL (or out of yet more money) while I'll probably still be running Office XP on my old-arse PC or virtual machine!

P.P.S. I can't speak for Win8, but the full Office XP (2002) works on Win7 Pro x64. I haven't checked every bitty utility, but all the major components do.

Status
Not open for further replies.