Epson Stylus Color 400=Help

A friend asked me to help him with his Epson Stylus Color 400 which was
printing very faintly and he thought that the cartridge needed replacing and
he bought and fitted a new Epson one . The results were the same.
I first of all started the cleaning cycle and after several cleaning cycles
it printed perfectly although I noticed the ink indicated showed only half
full.
I then tried the colour but one colour was very faint and after cleaning
again there was no improvement. As my friend hardly ever used colour we
left it and went back to printing his documents in black when I noticed the
red light was on continuously against the black and when we tried to print
there was a large red cross over the printer. I have now brought the printer
home with me and connected the printer to power only and it still shows the
red light on against the black so I cannot carry out any cleaning cycles.
It is obviously a fault on the printer
Can anyone suggest a remedy please.
Blair
26 answers Last reply
More about epson stylus color help

    "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    >A friend asked me to help him with his Epson Stylus Color 400 which was
    > printing very faintly and he thought that the cartridge needed replacing
    > and
    > he bought and fitted a new Epson one . The results were the same.
    > I first of all started the cleaning cycle and after several cleaning
    > cycles
    > it printed perfectly although I noticed the ink indicated showed only half
    > full.
    > I then tried the colour but one colour was very faint and after cleaning
    > again there was no improvement. As my friend hardly ever used colour we
    > left it and went back to printing his documents in black when I noticed
    > the
    > red light was on continuously against the black and when we tried to print
    > there was a large red cross over the printer. I have now brought the
    > printer
    > home with me and connected the printer to power only and it still shows
    > the
    > red light on against the black so I cannot carry out any cleaning cycles.
    > It is obviously a fault on the printer
    > Can anyone suggest a remedy please.
    > Blair

    It's such an ancient printer that it will probably cost more to repair than
    to purchase a new one.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    As someone has said a very old printer, but that should make it easy to
    purchase cleaning carts, if you decide to do this go to a site and down load
    a purge tiff, this will allow you to clean a couple of times then print the
    purge, providing the waste pads are not full it may work.

    "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    > A friend asked me to help him with his Epson Stylus Color 400 which was
    > printing very faintly and he thought that the cartridge needed replacing
    and
    > he bought and fitted a new Epson one . The results were the same.
    > I first of all started the cleaning cycle and after several cleaning
    cycles
    > it printed perfectly although I noticed the ink indicated showed only half
    > full.
    > I then tried the colour but one colour was very faint and after cleaning
    > again there was no improvement. As my friend hardly ever used colour we
    > left it and went back to printing his documents in black when I noticed
    the
    > red light was on continuously against the black and when we tried to print
    > there was a large red cross over the printer. I have now brought the
    printer
    > home with me and connected the printer to power only and it still shows
    the
    > red light on against the black so I cannot carry out any cleaning cycles.
    > It is obviously a fault on the printer
    > Can anyone suggest a remedy please.
    > Blair

    I realise that it is an old printer but I hate to be beaten on what may be a
    simple remedy.
    I have a cleaning cart but at present as long as the red light is on it will
    not permit the cleaning cycle to start. Also if I remove the new cart
    according to the book it cannot be used again.
    It also cost £11.50!
    Blair

    "Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > As someone has said a very old printer, but that should make it easy to
    > purchase cleaning carts, if you decide to do this go to a site and down
    load
    > a purge tiff, this will allow you to clean a couple of times then print
    the
    > purge, providing the waste pads are not full it may work.
    >
    > "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    > > A friend asked me to help him with his Epson Stylus Color 400 which was
    > > printing very faintly and he thought that the cartridge needed replacing
    > and
    > > he bought and fitted a new Epson one . The results were the same.
    > > I first of all started the cleaning cycle and after several cleaning
    > cycles
    > > it printed perfectly although I noticed the ink indicated showed only
    half
    > > full.
    > > I then tried the colour but one colour was very faint and after cleaning
    > > again there was no improvement. As my friend hardly ever used colour we
    > > left it and went back to printing his documents in black when I noticed
    > the
    > > red light was on continuously against the black and when we tried to
    print
    > > there was a large red cross over the printer. I have now brought the
    > printer
    > > home with me and connected the printer to power only and it still shows
    > the
    > > red light on against the black so I cannot carry out any cleaning
    cycles.
    > > It is obviously a fault on the printer
    > > Can anyone suggest a remedy please.
    > > Blair

    Blair

    If you feel confident enough strip down the tray that holds the ink
    cartridges to the point where the print head can be removed, then immerse
    the head in approx 1/4" 'HOT' not boiling water for a short time. Using
    kitchen roll after the soak press the head onto the tissue and repeat the
    process until there is little or no ink on the tissue. I've still got a 600
    Epson running as well as the day it was bought.

    If you need further and I'm assuming the 400 is similar to the 600 I will
    try and talk you through the process of getting the print head out.

    Regards

    >I realise that it is an old printer but I hate to be beaten on what may be
    > simple remedy.
    > I have a cleaning cart but at present as long as the red light is on it
    > will
    > not permit the cleaning cycle to start. Also if I remove the new cart
    > according to the book it cannot be used again.
    > It also cost £11.50!
    > Blair
    >

    > "Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> As someone has said a very old printer, but that should make it easy to
    >> purchase cleaning carts, if you decide to do this go to a site and down
    > load
    >> a purge tiff, this will allow you to clean a couple of times then print
    > the
    >> purge, providing the waste pads are not full it may work.
    >>
    >> "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    >> > A friend asked me to help him with his Epson Stylus Color 400 which
    >> > was
    >> > printing very faintly and he thought that the cartridge needed
    >> > replacing
    >> and
    >> > he bought and fitted a new Epson one . The results were the same.
    >> > I first of all started the cleaning cycle and after several cleaning
    >> cycles
    >> > it printed perfectly although I noticed the ink indicated showed only
    > half
    >> > full.
    >> > I then tried the colour but one colour was very faint and after
    >> > cleaning
    >> > again there was no improvement. As my friend hardly ever used colour we
    >> > left it and went back to printing his documents in black when I noticed
    >> the
    >> > red light was on continuously against the black and when we tried to
    > print
    >> > there was a large red cross over the printer. I have now brought the
    >> printer
    >> > home with me and connected the printer to power only and it still shows
    >> the
    >> > red light on against the black so I cannot carry out any cleaning
    > cycles.
    >> > It is obviously a fault on the printer
    >> > Can anyone suggest a remedy please.
    >> > Blair

    Blair

    If you feel confident enough strip down the tray that holds the ink
    cartridges to the point where the print head can be removed, then immerse
    the head in approx 1/4" 'HOT' not boiling water for a short time. Using
    kitchen roll after the soak press the head onto the tissue and repeat the
    process until there is little or no ink on the tissue. I've still got a 600
    Epson running as well as the day it was bought.

    If you need further and I'm assuming the 400 is similar to the 600 I will
    try and talk you through the process of getting the print head out.

    Regards

    Scratch my back to reply..............................................

    "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    >I realise that it is an old printer but I hate to be beaten on what may be
    > simple remedy.
    > I have a cleaning cart but at present as long as the red light is on it
    > will
    > not permit the cleaning cycle to start. Also if I remove the new cart
    > according to the book it cannot be used again.
    > It also cost £11.50!
    > Blair
    >

    > "Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> As someone has said a very old printer, but that should make it easy to
    >> purchase cleaning carts, if you decide to do this go to a site and down
    > load
    >> a purge tiff, this will allow you to clean a couple of times then print
    > the
    >> purge, providing the waste pads are not full it may work.
    >>
    >> "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    >> > A friend asked me to help him with his Epson Stylus Color 400 which
    >> > was
    >> > printing very faintly and he thought that the cartridge needed
    >> > replacing
    >> and
    >> > he bought and fitted a new Epson one . The results were the same.
    >> > I first of all started the cleaning cycle and after several cleaning
    >> cycles
    >> > it printed perfectly although I noticed the ink indicated showed only
    > half
    >> > full.
    >> > I then tried the colour but one colour was very faint and after
    >> > cleaning
    >> > again there was no improvement. As my friend hardly ever used colour we
    >> > left it and went back to printing his documents in black when I noticed
    >> the
    >> > red light was on continuously against the black and when we tried to
    > print
    >> > there was a large red cross over the printer. I have now brought the
    >> printer
    >> > home with me and connected the printer to power only and it still shows
    >> the
    >> > red light on against the black so I cannot carry out any cleaning
    > cycles.
    >> > It is obviously a fault on the printer
    >> > Can anyone suggest a remedy please.
    >> > Blair

    Doing what others have advised with the printhead may be worthwhile, but your
    red light "may" be caused by the protection counter.
    Try http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and use the utility to reset the
    protection counter, if you are fortunate you will then be able to purge.
    Be warned however that the waste ink pad may be getting close to full and you
    may in the near future need to replace or clean it to avoid overflow.
    Tony

    "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote:
    >I realise that it is an old printer but I hate to be beaten on what may be a
    >simple remedy.
    >I have a cleaning cart but at present as long as the red light is on it will
    >not permit the cleaning cycle to start. Also if I remove the new cart
    >according to the book it cannot be used again.
    >It also cost £11.50!
    >Blair
    >

    >"Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> As someone has said a very old printer, but that should make it easy to
    >> purchase cleaning carts, if you decide to do this go to a site and down
    >load
    >> a purge tiff, this will allow you to clean a couple of times then print
    >the
    >> purge, providing the waste pads are not full it may work.
    >>
    >> "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    >> > A friend asked me to help him with his Epson Stylus Color 400 which was
    >> > printing very faintly and he thought that the cartridge needed replacing
    >> and
    >> > he bought and fitted a new Epson one . The results were the same.
    >> > I first of all started the cleaning cycle and after several cleaning
    >> cycles
    >> > it printed perfectly although I noticed the ink indicated showed only
    >half
    >> > full.
    >> > I then tried the colour but one colour was very faint and after cleaning
    >> > again there was no improvement. As my friend hardly ever used colour we
    >> > left it and went back to printing his documents in black when I noticed
    >> the
    >> > red light was on continuously against the black and when we tried to
    >print
    >> > there was a large red cross over the printer. I have now brought the
    >> printer
    >> > home with me and connected the printer to power only and it still shows
    >> the
    >> > red light on against the black so I cannot carry out any cleaning
    >cycles.
    >> > It is obviously a fault on the printer
    >> > Can anyone suggest a remedy please.
    >> > Blair

    Thanks to everyone who replied. Early this morning I decided to try and
    release the black cartridge temporarily and reinstall it. The red light went
    out I am back using the 400 again.!
    I was afraid that the cartridge would be useless after reinstalling it but
    all seems well.
    I hate throwing devices on the scrap heap!
    Blair

    <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.oyJiLXKBY%23b0Hg@ue.ph...
    > Doing what others have advised with the printhead may be worthwhile, but
    your
    > red light "may" be caused by the protection counter.
    > Try http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and use the utility to reset the
    > protection counter, if you are fortunate you will then be able to purge.
    > Be warned however that the waste ink pad may be getting close to full and
    you
    > may in the near future need to replace or clean it to avoid overflow.
    > Tony
    >

    > "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote:
    > >I realise that it is an old printer but I hate to be beaten on what may
    be a
    > >simple remedy.
    > >I have a cleaning cart but at present as long as the red light is on it
    will
    > >not permit the cleaning cycle to start. Also if I remove the new cart
    > >according to the book it cannot be used again.
    > >It also cost £11.50!
    > >Blair
    > >

    > >"Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >> As someone has said a very old printer, but that should make it easy to
    > >> purchase cleaning carts, if you decide to do this go to a site and down
    > >load
    > >> a purge tiff, this will allow you to clean a couple of times then print
    > >the
    > >> purge, providing the waste pads are not full it may work.
    > >>
    > >> "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    > >> and
    > >> cycles
    > >half
    > >> the
    > >print
    > >> printer
    > >> the
    > >cycles.

    I service a customers 600 from time to time and he is always removing and
    replacing his carts after first use and has never had a problem.

    > Thanks to everyone who replied. Early this morning I decided to try and
    > release the black cartridge temporarily and reinstall it. The red light
    went
    > out I am back using the 400 again.!
    > I was afraid that the cartridge would be useless after reinstalling it but
    > all seems well.
    > I hate throwing devices on the scrap heap!
    > Blair
    >
    > <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.oyJiLXKBY%23b0Hg@ue.ph...
    > > Doing what others have advised with the printhead may be worthwhile, but
    > your
    > > red light "may" be caused by the protection counter.
    > > Try http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and use the utility to reset the
    > > protection counter, if you are fortunate you will then be able to purge.
    > > Be warned however that the waste ink pad may be getting close to full
    and
    > you
    > > may in the near future need to replace or clean it to avoid overflow.
    > > Tony
    > >

    > > "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote:
    > > >I realise that it is an old printer but I hate to be beaten on what may
    > be a
    > > >simple remedy.
    > > >I have a cleaning cart but at present as long as the red light is on it
    > will
    > > >not permit the cleaning cycle to start. Also if I remove the new cart
    > > >according to the book it cannot be used again.
    > > >It also cost £11.50!
    > > >Blair
    > > >

    > > >"Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > >load
    > > >the

    > was
    > replacing
    > > >half
    > cleaning
    > we
    > noticed
    > > >print
    > shows
    > > >cycles.

    I spoke too soon! After I had taken the printer back to my friend and
    connected to his PC I had a communication problem with a large red cross
    over the printer image.
    I brought it back to my house again and found the same fault so have come o
    the conclusion that the cable is faulty and my next stage is to buy a new
    cable
    Will let you know the result. Unless someone has a brighter idea
    Blair

    "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks to everyone who replied. Early this morning I decided to try and
    > release the black cartridge temporarily and reinstall it. The red light
    went
    > out I am back using the 400 again.!
    > I was afraid that the cartridge would be useless after reinstalling it but
    > all seems well.
    > I hate throwing devices on the scrap heap!
    > Blair
    >
    > <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.oyJiLXKBY%23b0Hg@ue.ph...
    > > Doing what others have advised with the printhead may be worthwhile, but
    > your
    > > red light "may" be caused by the protection counter.
    > > Try http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and use the utility to reset the
    > > protection counter, if you are fortunate you will then be able to purge.
    > > Be warned however that the waste ink pad may be getting close to full
    and
    > you
    > > may in the near future need to replace or clean it to avoid overflow.
    > > Tony
    > >

    > > "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote:
    > > >I realise that it is an old printer but I hate to be beaten on what may
    > be a
    > > >simple remedy.
    > > >I have a cleaning cart but at present as long as the red light is on it
    > will
    > > >not permit the cleaning cycle to start. Also if I remove the new cart
    > > >according to the book it cannot be used again.
    > > >It also cost £11.50!
    > > >Blair
    > > >

    > > >"Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > >load
    > > >the

    > was
    > replacing
    > > >half
    > cleaning
    > we
    > noticed
    > > >print
    > shows
    > > >cycles.

    You could try putting a piece of selotape over the outlet of the cart, this
    may allow the printer to think it's a new cart. I would only give this a
    2-10 chance but worth a try. I am uncertain as which cable you are talking
    about if the parallel cable try removing it several times from the printer
    with the printer/computer switched off. it is somewhat rare for a parallel
    cable to become faulty at the same time as the other problems you are
    having.

    > I spoke too soon! After I had taken the printer back to my friend and
    > connected to his PC I had a communication problem with a large red cross
    > over the printer image.
    > I brought it back to my house again and found the same fault so have come
    > the conclusion that the cable is faulty and my next stage is to buy a new
    > cable
    > Will let you know the result. Unless someone has a brighter idea
    > Blair
    >
    > "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks to everyone who replied. Early this morning I decided to try and
    > > release the black cartridge temporarily and reinstall it. The red light
    > went
    > > out I am back using the 400 again.!
    > > I was afraid that the cartridge would be useless after reinstalling it
    but
    > > all seems well.
    > > I hate throwing devices on the scrap heap!
    > > Blair
    > >
    > > <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.oyJiLXKBY%23b0Hg@ue.ph...
    > > > Doing what others have advised with the printhead may be worthwhile,
    but
    > > your
    > > > red light "may" be caused by the protection counter.
    > > > Try http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and use the utility to reset the
    > > > protection counter, if you are fortunate you will then be able to
    purge.
    > > > Be warned however that the waste ink pad may be getting close to full
    > and
    > > you
    > > > may in the near future need to replace or clean it to avoid overflow.
    > > > Tony

    > > be a
    > > will

    > down
    > print

    > which
    > > was
    > > replacing
    > cleaning
    > only
    > > cleaning
    > colour
    > > we
    > > noticed
    > the
    > > shows

    Please contact me at the address shown on this posting and I can send
    you a copy of my Epson Cleaning Manual which will explain how to resolve
    these problems in most cases.

    There is no charge for this service.

    Art

    Blair wrote:

    > A friend asked me to help him with his Epson Stylus Color 400 which was
    > printing very faintly and he thought that the cartridge needed replacing and
    > he bought and fitted a new Epson one . The results were the same.
    > I first of all started the cleaning cycle and after several cleaning cycles
    > it printed perfectly although I noticed the ink indicated showed only half
    > full.
    > I then tried the colour but one colour was very faint and after cleaning
    > again there was no improvement. As my friend hardly ever used colour we
    > left it and went back to printing his documents in black when I noticed the
    > red light was on continuously against the black and when we tried to print
    > there was a large red cross over the printer. I have now brought the printer
    > home with me and connected the printer to power only and it still shows the
    > red light on against the black so I cannot carry out any cleaning cycles.
    > It is obviously a fault on the printer
    > Can anyone suggest a remedy please.
    > Blair

    As memory serves, I don't believe the Epson 400 uses the chipped
    cartridges, is that correct?

    In spite of what the manual says about removing cartridges, in most
    cases with the older Epson printers, you can resolve the small problem
    with an air lock using a procedure I can explain to you in private email.

    You can then make up some cleaning cartridges to get things unclogged
    and working fully before returning your ink cartridges to the printer.

    Art

    Blair wrote:

    > I realise that it is an old printer but I hate to be beaten on what may be a
    > simple remedy.
    > I have a cleaning cart but at present as long as the red light is on it will
    > not permit the cleaning cycle to start. Also if I remove the new cart
    > according to the book it cannot be used again.
    > It also cost £11.50!
    > Blair
    >

    > "Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>As someone has said a very old printer, but that should make it easy to
    >>purchase cleaning carts, if you decide to do this go to a site and down
    >
    > load
    >
    >>a purge tiff, this will allow you to clean a couple of times then print
    >
    > the
    >
    >>purge, providing the waste pads are not full it may work.
    >>
    >>"Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>A friend asked me to help him with his Epson Stylus Color 400 which was
    >>>printing very faintly and he thought that the cartridge needed replacing
    >>
    >>and
    >>
    >>>he bought and fitted a new Epson one . The results were the same.
    >>>I first of all started the cleaning cycle and after several cleaning
    >>
    >>cycles
    >>
    >>>it printed perfectly although I noticed the ink indicated showed only
    >
    > half
    >
    >>>full.
    >>>I then tried the colour but one colour was very faint and after cleaning
    >>>again there was no improvement. As my friend hardly ever used colour we
    >>>left it and went back to printing his documents in black when I noticed
    >>
    >>the
    >>
    >>>red light was on continuously against the black and when we tried to
    >
    > print
    >
    >>>there was a large red cross over the printer. I have now brought the
    >>
    >>printer
    >>
    >>>home with me and connected the printer to power only and it still shows
    >>
    >>the
    >>
    >>>red light on against the black so I cannot carry out any cleaning
    >
    > cycles.
    >
    >>>It is obviously a fault on the printer
    >>>Can anyone suggest a remedy please.
    >>>Blair

    I strongly suggest against removing the head on Epson printers. They
    can be easily damaged, and it is not necessary to unclog them. There
    are much safer procedures.

    One can also knock the head geometry off when removing or reinstalling
    it, if other damage isn't done.

    If there were no other alternative to cleaning the heads, I would say it
    was a worthwhile pursuit, but since there are other methods to
    accomplish the same thing, it seems an unnecessary risk.

    Art

    adgy wrote:

    > Blair
    >
    > If you feel confident enough strip down the tray that holds the ink
    > cartridges to the point where the print head can be removed, then immerse
    > the head in approx 1/4" 'HOT' not boiling water for a short time. Using
    > kitchen roll after the soak press the head onto the tissue and repeat the
    > process until there is little or no ink on the tissue. I've still got a 600
    > Epson running as well as the day it was bought.
    >
    > If you need further and I'm assuming the 400 is similar to the 600 I will
    > try and talk you through the process of getting the print head out.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message

    The SC400 indicates waste ink pads full by blinking all four LEDS, so
    the indication he is getting indicates "no ink cartridge installed, or
    ink at end, black cartridge".

    Art

    Tony wrote:

    > Doing what others have advised with the printhead may be worthwhile, but your
    > red light "may" be caused by the protection counter.
    > Try http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and use the utility to reset the
    > protection counter, if you are fortunate you will then be able to purge.
    > Be warned however that the waste ink pad may be getting close to full and you
    > may in the near future need to replace or clean it to avoid overflow.
    > Tony
    >

    > "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote:

    Well, it sounds like you won't need my advice after all.. if you still
    want a copy of the cleaning manual just email me privately.

    Art

    Blair wrote:

    > Thanks to everyone who replied. Early this morning I decided to try and
    > release the black cartridge temporarily and reinstall it. The red light went
    > out I am back using the 400 again.!
    > I was afraid that the cartridge would be useless after reinstalling it but
    > all seems well.
    > I hate throwing devices on the scrap heap!
    > Blair

    Assuming the printer is not showing all LEDs blinking, it should be working.

    Try running the printer disconnected from the computer completely.

    Run a printer test by pressing the Load/Eject button the same time you
    press the on button (make sure there is paper in the printer.). After
    you are done, just turn off the printer using the on/off button.

    If you get the printer going this way without connection to the computer
    chances are it is either a bad or loose cable connecting it, or an old
    or corrupted driver. Try removing and reinstalling the current Epson
    driver (use the one from Epson, not an out of box from your OS).

    Art

    Blair wrote:

    > I spoke too soon! After I had taken the printer back to my friend and
    > connected to his PC I had a communication problem with a large red cross
    > over the printer image.
    > I brought it back to my house again and found the same fault so have come o
    > the conclusion that the cable is faulty and my next stage is to buy a new
    > cable
    > Will let you know the result. Unless someone has a brighter idea
    > Blair
    >
    > "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Thanks to everyone who replied. Early this morning I decided to try and
    >>release the black cartridge temporarily and reinstall it. The red light
    >
    > went
    >
    >>out I am back using the 400 again.!
    >>I was afraid that the cartridge would be useless after reinstalling it but
    >>all seems well.
    >>I hate throwing devices on the scrap heap!
    >> Blair
    >>
    >><Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.oyJiLXKBY%23b0Hg@ue.ph...
    >>
    >>>Doing what others have advised with the printhead may be worthwhile, but
    >>
    >>your
    >>
    >>>red light "may" be caused by the protection counter.
    >>>Try http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and use the utility to reset the
    >>>protection counter, if you are fortunate you will then be able to purge.
    >>>Be warned however that the waste ink pad may be getting close to full
    >
    > and
    >
    >>you
    >>
    >>>may in the near future need to replace or clean it to avoid overflow.
    >>>Tony

    >>be a

    >>will

    > down

    > print

    > which
    >
    >>was

    >>replacing

    > cleaning

    > only

    >>cleaning

    > colour
    >
    >>we

    >>noticed

    > the

    >>shows

    The sellotape has no effect on whether the printer thinks the cartridge
    is new or not.

    On non-chipped cartridges, the way the printer figures out it is a "new"
    cartridge is by the cartridge being removed and reinstalled. There is a
    small switch which is activated.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:
    >The SC400 indicates waste ink pads full by blinking all four LEDS, so
    >the indication he is getting indicates "no ink cartridge installed, or
    >ink at end, black cartridge".
    >
    >Art
    >
    >Tony wrote:
    >
    >> Doing what others have advised with the printhead may be worthwhile, but
    >>your
    >> red light "may" be caused by the protection counter.
    >> Try http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and use the utility to reset the
    >> protection counter, if you are fortunate you will then be able to purge.
    >> Be warned however that the waste ink pad may be getting close to full and
    >>you
    >> may in the near future need to replace or clean it to avoid overflow.
    >> Tony
    >>

    >> "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote:

    Art
    The thought that possibly he has a protection counter issue was triggered by
    the "red cross", ie unavailable or communication error. I have seen this happen
    a few times with absolutely no light pattern to assist. Not on this particular
    model as far as I can remember.
    Tony

    Thank Arthur for all your advice
    I removed the cartridge and installed it again and the red light went out!
    I check the operation of the printer disconnected from the PC and it worked
    correctly.
    When I connected it to the PC I now get a large red cross against the image
    of the printer showing a communication problem.
    I brought the printer to my home and it showed the same red cross, so it may
    be the parallel cable faulty. Is this likely?
    Blair

    "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Please contact me at the address shown on this posting and I can send
    > you a copy of my Epson Cleaning Manual which will explain how to resolve
    > these problems in most cases.
    >
    > There is no charge for this service.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > Blair wrote:
    >
    > > A friend asked me to help him with his Epson Stylus Color 400 which was
    > > printing very faintly and he thought that the cartridge needed replacing
    and
    > > he bought and fitted a new Epson one . The results were the same.
    > > I first of all started the cleaning cycle and after several cleaning
    cycles
    > > it printed perfectly although I noticed the ink indicated showed only
    half
    > > full.
    > > I then tried the colour but one colour was very faint and after cleaning
    > > again there was no improvement. As my friend hardly ever used colour we
    > > left it and went back to printing his documents in black when I noticed
    the
    > > red light was on continuously against the black and when we tried to
    print
    > > there was a large red cross over the printer. I have now brought the
    printer
    > > home with me and connected the printer to power only and it still shows
    the
    > > red light on against the black so I cannot carry out any cleaning
    cycles.
    > > It is obviously a fault on the printer
    > > Can anyone suggest a remedy please.
    > > Blair

    Blair - I had an Epson printer that was connected with a parallel cable
    (before I had USB ports) and it worked well for a few years. When I
    upgraded to a new computer I still had it connected with the parallel cable.
    After a while it would only appear to be connected intermittently. After
    switching cables and switching printers I found that the cable was ok and
    the parallel port on the computer was ok. What was left was the parallel
    port on the printer. I hooked it up with a USB cable and it worked just
    fine. Could be the cable or the parallel connection on the printer itself.
    Check it out.

    > Thank Arthur for all your advice
    > I removed the cartridge and installed it again and the red light went out!
    > I check the operation of the printer disconnected from the PC and it
    > worked
    > correctly.
    > When I connected it to the PC I now get a large red cross against the
    > image
    > of the printer showing a communication problem.
    > I brought the printer to my home and it showed the same red cross, so it
    > may
    > be the parallel cable faulty. Is this likely?
    > Blair
    >

    > "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Please contact me at the address shown on this posting and I can send
    >> you a copy of my Epson Cleaning Manual which will explain how to resolve
    >> these problems in most cases.
    >>
    >> There is no charge for this service.
    >>
    >> Art
    >>
    >> Blair wrote:
    >>
    >> > A friend asked me to help him with his Epson Stylus Color 400 which
    >> > was
    >> > printing very faintly and he thought that the cartridge needed
    >> > replacing
    > and
    >> > he bought and fitted a new Epson one . The results were the same.
    >> > I first of all started the cleaning cycle and after several cleaning
    > cycles
    >> > it printed perfectly although I noticed the ink indicated showed only
    > half
    >> > full.
    >> > I then tried the colour but one colour was very faint and after
    >> > cleaning
    >> > again there was no improvement. As my friend hardly ever used colour we
    >> > left it and went back to printing his documents in black when I noticed
    > the
    >> > red light was on continuously against the black and when we tried to
    > print
    >> > there was a large red cross over the printer. I have now brought the
    > printer
    >> > home with me and connected the printer to power only and it still shows
    > the
    >> > red light on against the black so I cannot carry out any cleaning
    > cycles.
    >> > It is obviously a fault on the printer
    >> > Can anyone suggest a remedy please.
    >> > Blair

    Thanks for your reply. Yes I am coming to the conclusion that it may be the
    connector or the cable which is faulty.
    Someone else has suggested that I should uninstall the software for the
    printer and reinstall. I will do this first. before tackling the connector
    and cable question.
    I am not sure how I will check the cable itself. Any ideas?
    Blair

    "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > Blair - I had an Epson printer that was connected with a parallel cable
    > (before I had USB ports) and it worked well for a few years. When I
    > upgraded to a new computer I still had it connected with the parallel
    cable.
    > After a while it would only appear to be connected intermittently. After
    > switching cables and switching printers I found that the cable was ok and
    > the parallel port on the computer was ok. What was left was the parallel
    > port on the printer. I hooked it up with a USB cable and it worked just
    > fine. Could be the cable or the parallel connection on the printer
    itself.
    > Check it out.
    >
    > "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank Arthur for all your advice
    > > I removed the cartridge and installed it again and the red light went
    out!
    > > I check the operation of the printer disconnected from the PC and it
    > > worked
    > > correctly.
    > > When I connected it to the PC I now get a large red cross against the
    > > image
    > > of the printer showing a communication problem.
    > > I brought the printer to my home and it showed the same red cross, so it
    > > may
    > > be the parallel cable faulty. Is this likely?
    > > Blair
    > >

    > > "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Please contact me at the address shown on this posting and I can send
    > >> you a copy of my Epson Cleaning Manual which will explain how to
    resolve
    > >> these problems in most cases.
    > >>
    > >> There is no charge for this service.
    > >>
    > >> Art

    > > and
    > > cycles
    > > half
    > > the
    > > print
    > > printer
    > > the
    > > cycles.

    It might be the cable, but they rarely fail. It could be the driver, as
    I think I mentioned before, although it would be odd that both computers
    were corrupted, unless they both have a similar conflict.

    It is possible the parallel port is failing on the printer end, or that
    you have the wrong parallel option set in your bios, or a driver setting
    is incorrect. I assume the printer cable was working fine previously
    with this printer.

    Art

    Blair wrote:

    > Thank Arthur for all your advice
    > I removed the cartridge and installed it again and the red light went out!
    > I check the operation of the printer disconnected from the PC and it worked
    > correctly.
    > When I connected it to the PC I now get a large red cross against the image
    > of the printer showing a communication problem.
    > I brought the printer to my home and it showed the same red cross, so it may
    > be the parallel cable faulty. Is this likely?
    > Blair
    >

    > "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>Please contact me at the address shown on this posting and I can send
    >>you a copy of my Epson Cleaning Manual which will explain how to resolve
    >>these problems in most cases.
    >>
    >>There is no charge for this service.
    >>
    >>Art
    >>
    >>Blair wrote:
    >>

    >>>A friend asked me to help him with his Epson Stylus Color 400 which was
    >>>printing very faintly and he thought that the cartridge needed replacing
    >
    > and
    >
    >>>he bought and fitted a new Epson one . The results were the same.
    >>>I first of all started the cleaning cycle and after several cleaning
    >
    > cycles
    >
    >>>it printed perfectly although I noticed the ink indicated showed only
    >
    > half
    >
    >>>full.
    >>>I then tried the colour but one colour was very faint and after cleaning
    >>>again there was no improvement. As my friend hardly ever used colour we
    >>>left it and went back to printing his documents in black when I noticed
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>red light was on continuously against the black and when we tried to
    >
    > print
    >
    >>>there was a large red cross over the printer. I have now brought the
    >
    > printer
    >
    >>>home with me and connected the printer to power only and it still shows
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>red light on against the black so I cannot carry out any cleaning
    >
    > cycles.
    >
    >>>It is obviously a fault on the printer
    >>>Can anyone suggest a remedy please.
    >>>Blair

    I checked it by trying a different cable and also by using it to connect my
    laser printer. I found that the cable was ok, as was the parallel port in
    the computer. I had accumulated several parallel cables over the years -
    just threw them away with other assorted computer junk - old keyboards,
    mice, etc.- and I just substituted one I had stored away.

    > Thanks for your reply. Yes I am coming to the conclusion that it may be
    > the
    > connector or the cable which is faulty.
    > Someone else has suggested that I should uninstall the software for the
    > printer and reinstall. I will do this first. before tackling the connector
    > and cable question.
    > I am not sure how I will check the cable itself. Any ideas?
    > Blair
    >
    > "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >> Blair - I had an Epson printer that was connected with a parallel cable
    >> (before I had USB ports) and it worked well for a few years. When I
    >> upgraded to a new computer I still had it connected with the parallel
    > cable.
    >> After a while it would only appear to be connected intermittently. After
    >> switching cables and switching printers I found that the cable was ok and
    >> the parallel port on the computer was ok. What was left was the parallel
    >> port on the printer. I hooked it up with a USB cable and it worked just
    >> fine. Could be the cable or the parallel connection on the printer
    > itself.
    >> Check it out.
    >>
    >> "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank Arthur for all your advice
    >> > I removed the cartridge and installed it again and the red light went
    > out!
    >> > I check the operation of the printer disconnected from the PC and it
    >> > worked
    >> > correctly.
    >> > When I connected it to the PC I now get a large red cross against the
    >> > image
    >> > of the printer showing a communication problem.
    >> > I brought the printer to my home and it showed the same red cross, so
    >> > it
    >> > may
    >> > be the parallel cable faulty. Is this likely?
    >> > Blair
    >> >

    >> > "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > resolve

    >> > and
    >> > cycles
    >> > half
    > we
    > noticed
    >> > the
    >> > print
    >> > printer
    > shows
    >> > the
    >> > cycles.

    Yes the printer has been working for years with this connector.
    Waiting for my friend to say he is back home so I can visit and do the
    uninstalling

    > It might be the cable, but they rarely fail. It could be the driver, as
    > I think I mentioned before, although it would be odd that both computers
    > were corrupted, unless they both have a similar conflict.
    >
    > It is possible the parallel port is failing on the printer end, or that
    > you have the wrong parallel option set in your bios, or a driver setting
    > is incorrect. I assume the printer cable was working fine previously
    > with this printer.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > Blair wrote:
    >
    > > Thank Arthur for all your advice
    > > I removed the cartridge and installed it again and the red light went
    out!
    > > I check the operation of the printer disconnected from the PC and it
    worked
    > > correctly.
    > > When I connected it to the PC I now get a large red cross against the
    image
    > > of the printer showing a communication problem.
    > > I brought the printer to my home and it showed the same red cross, so it
    may
    > > be the parallel cable faulty. Is this likely?
    > > Blair
    > >

    > > "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Please contact me at the address shown on this posting and I can send
    > >>you a copy of my Epson Cleaning Manual which will explain how to resolve
    > >>these problems in most cases.
    > >>
    > >>There is no charge for this service.
    > >>
    > >>Art

    > > and

    > > cycles

    > > half

    > > the

    > > print

    > > printer

    > > the

    > > cycles.

  25. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    The following are the facts:

    1 The printer is working by itself OK Prints check prints

    2 The printer cable when installed in another PC belonging to a friend which
    has an Epson printer which works perfectly indicates a "communication
    problem."

    3 The printer cable from the other friends working PC when installed in the
    problem PC set-up shows the following

    3a Using the Epson status monitor there is a red sign which says the
    printer is idle
    Also "There was an error writing to LPT1. The printer is not ready.
    Make sure it is turned on and online.

    3b Using the print command I get a large red cross against the icon
    of the printer and a statement "out of paper"

    4 The printer cable when installed in my system indicates a communication
    problem

    I have carried out all the checks that have been suggested and I'm still
    beaten!

    Blair

    > Yes the printer has been working for years with this connector.
    > Waiting for my friend to say he is back home so I can visit and do the
    > uninstalling
    > Blair
    >

    > "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > It might be the cable, but they rarely fail. It could be the driver, as
    > > I think I mentioned before, although it would be odd that both computers
    > > were corrupted, unless they both have a similar conflict.
    > >
    > > It is possible the parallel port is failing on the printer end, or that
    > > you have the wrong parallel option set in your bios, or a driver setting
    > > is incorrect. I assume the printer cable was working fine previously
    > > with this printer.
    > >
    > > Art

  26. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Blair wrote:

    > The following are the facts:
    >
    > 1 The printer is working by itself OK Prints check prints

    OK

    > 2 The printer cable when installed in another PC belonging to a friend which
    > has an Epson printer which works perfectly indicates a "communication
    > problem."

    So, to be clear... this is a parallel port to centronics cable, yes?
    And it indicates a communication problem when used on a known good
    computer and a known good printer? Do you know if the cable is
    bi-directional or not? Obviously, something is wrong with this cable.

    Which printer is your friend using?

    > 3 The printer cable from the other friends working PC when installed in the
    > problem PC set-up shows the following
    >
    > 3a Using the Epson status monitor there is a red sign which says the
    > printer is idle
    > Also "There was an error writing to LPT1. The printer is not ready.
    > Make sure it is turned on and online.
    >
    > 3b Using the print command I get a large red cross against the icon
    > of the printer and a statement "out of paper"

    It is possible something happened that damaged the printer port either
    on the computer or printer side. My guess is that the cable failed and
    shorted something on one side or the other. I would not "test" the
    cable elsewhere, because it might damage another computer or printer.

    Possibly something happened to the computer or printer port and damaged
    the cable, hard to know which direction... did you have any severe
    lightning storms, surges, or other surprises recently? Have you tried
    any other parallel device in the computer port?

    Have you checked in control panel to see if the parallel port is
    indicted as working correctly?

    > 4 The printer cable when installed in my system indicates a communication
    > problem

    OK, obviously since the cable indicates a communication problem on a
    known good computer and printer, and one that's unknown, the cable is
    likely bad (bent pin, broken pin, failed pin to wire connection,
    shorted wire, etc),

    Since your printer doesn't work even with a known good cable, either
    your computer's parallel port or the port on the printer is not working
    correctly... is it possible a bad pin/socket on one side or other (bent
    contact, dirty contact, etc?

    You *might* want to try connecting a different printer with a known good
    cable to your computer's parallel port, but there may be a risk of a
    failure to the printer or cable if the ports are bad in some manner.

    Unfortunately, you haven't done enough combinations of alternatives to
    rule out something exclusively, but I can't vouch for the safety in
    attempting to do so. I blew a computer power supply and some parts on
    the mainboard of a Laserjet one many years ago by using an incorrectly
    wired serial cable.

    Art

    > I have carried out all the checks that have been suggested and I'm still
    > beaten!
    >
    > Blair
    >

    > "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Yes the printer has been working for years with this connector.
    >>Waiting for my friend to say he is back home so I can visit and do the
    >>uninstalling
    >>Blair
    >>

    >>"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>It might be the cable, but they rarely fail. It could be the driver, as
    >>>I think I mentioned before, although it would be odd that both computers
    >>>were corrupted, unless they both have a similar conflict.
    >>>
    >>>It is possible the parallel port is failing on the printer end, or that
    >>>you have the wrong parallel option set in your bios, or a driver setting
    >>>is incorrect. I assume the printer cable was working fine previously
    >>>with this printer.
    >>>
    >>>Art

Printers Stylus Epson Peripherals