Router Works With DSL, not Cable

jaws

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

I am converting from DSL to Cable Modem service. I have a wired
ethernet network with three computers running Windows XP and a Siemens
SpeedStream 2614 DSL/Cable router. The cable modem is a Motorola
Bitsurfer.

This setup works with the DSL modem. When I switch to the cable modem
it stops working. The only relevant options I can find in the router
are 1) the connection type, which I changed from PPPoE to Dynamic IP
address when I switched to the cable modem, and 2) the MAC address
which I changed to the cable modem's MAC address. (When that didn't
work, I used the "clone MAC address" feature, without improvement.) I
have also performed a full reset of the router.

The cable modem works fine when connected directly to the computer.
The network works fine when the DSL modem is reconnected. But I can't
get the cable modem to work through the router.

Any suggestions about what I can try now?

Thanks,

Jim Williams
Norfolk, VA

In article <j4q4v0lv4qddi2p2f4tism351po4h5nlbf@4ax.com>,
JAWs <jaws@jaws.net> wrote:
>I am converting from DSL to Cable Modem service. I have a wired
>ethernet network with three computers running Windows XP and a Siemens
>SpeedStream 2614 DSL/Cable router. The cable modem is a Motorola
>Bitsurfer.
>
>This setup works with the DSL modem. When I switch to the cable modem
>it stops working. The only relevant options I can find in the router
>are 1) the connection type, which I changed from PPPoE to Dynamic IP
>address when I switched to the cable modem, and 2) the MAC address
>which I changed to the cable modem's MAC address. (When that didn't
>work, I used the "clone MAC address" feature, without improvement.) I
>have also performed a full reset of the router.
>
>The cable modem works fine when connected directly to the computer.
>The network works fine when the DSL modem is reconnected. But I can't
>get the cable modem to work through the router.
>
>Any suggestions about what I can try now?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim Williams
>Norfolk, VA

Try resetting the router to factory values.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote:

> JAWs <jaws@jaws.net> wrote:

> > I have ... performed a full reset of the router.

> Try resetting the router to factory values.

Bzzzt. Another reading-challenged eager-beaver.

cheers,

Henry

jaws

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

Al and Henry:

I had already performed a full reset which, according to the manual,
was supposed to reset the router settings to factory defaults.
However after reading Al's message I noticed that my password hadn't
changed, so I reset it again using the software Tools option. The
original password (admin) came back, and the router started working.

Looks like I found a "fuller" full reset.

Thanks to both of you.

Jim

JAWs wrote:
> I am converting from DSL to Cable Modem service. I have a wired
> ethernet network with three computers running Windows XP and a Siemens
> SpeedStream 2614 DSL/Cable router. The cable modem is a Motorola
> Bitsurfer.
>
> This setup works with the DSL modem. When I switch to the cable modem
> it stops working. The only relevant options I can find in the router
> are 1) the connection type, which I changed from PPPoE to Dynamic IP
> address when I switched to the cable modem, and 2) the MAC address
> which I changed to the cable modem's MAC address. (When that didn't
> work, I used the "clone MAC address" feature, without improvement.) I
> have also performed a full reset of the router.

Were you trying to change the default MAC address of the router to the
MAC of the cable modem ? Why would you do that... ? You would have two
devices with the same MAC on a single link. There might go something
wrong then indeed.

JAWs wrote:
> The cable modem works fine when connected directly to the computer.
> The network works fine when the DSL modem is reconnected. But I can't
> get the cable modem to work through the router.
>
> Any suggestions about what I can try now?

The CM and the router will need individual MAC addresses on the public
interface. I'm envisioning something like this;

Cable feed to property <---> CM <---> Router <---> PC1
<---> PC2
<---> etc

So, the link between the CM and the router is over ethernet. The router
will lease a public IP address from the ISP via DHCP, offer DHCP leases
to the private network, and act as a NAT router between the PCs and the
internet.

You will need to ensure that the router uses it's own MAC to communicate
upstream to the ISP. Also, with my ISP (which is also cable) I need to
register MAC addresses with them before they will allow them to lease IPs.

HTH!

Andy.

CJ

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Did you powercycle the router before switching to the cable modem?