Best PCI graphics card for Vista?

dec60228

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Hello All,

Yesterday, I brought Norwood Radeon 9250 256MB PCI card and installed it in Windows Vista. It worked fine, but I didn't get Aero with it. when I checked with Vista Upgrade Advisor, it said, my Card doesn't support PixelShader2.0.

So I am wondering, if there is any good PCI (I don't have AGP/PCI-E slots in my sys) which supports all features in Vista and also supports DirectX9.0

Note: it should be PCI card not PCI-E

I Appreciate your Input.

Thanks in Advance
Dec....

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Firstly, as I am sure you know, you really need to upgrade a hell of a lot more than just the graphics card if you only have PCI slots available.

Nevertheless, thre are some rare Nvidia 6xxx (think 6100) PCI cards around, but more likely would be something like an FX5700. I'm not sure on the ATI side, but I think they made a PCI 9600.

Your system sounds like it will just annoy Vista and subsequently you unless it is improved.

random_foxx

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Good luck with your PCI hunt. At first, I thought maybe you meant express, but I can see you were clear on the PCI issue.

I'd say that your best bet, if you do get a PCI card to work w/ Vista, is to avoid Aero like the black plague. It'd be like a bi-plane trying to keep up with a stealth bomber on a raid over an anti-aircraft installation.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I don't think they did a PCI 9600 (I never saw one, certainly). Have a look on eBay for older PCI graphics cards with more advanced tech (the 9250 was the last one that was in production, but there may have been more advanced models before hand).

To be honest I think the Abyss' point about needing to upgrade a hell of a lot more than the graphics card to get Vista working nicely stands very firmly indeed. Rather than pouring money into a lost cause with the PCI GPU, why not start a fund for at the least a new mobo. Post your full specs and I'm sure you'll get some help.