MSI 865PE NEO2-V

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
Please does anyone have experience with this mobo? Is it good at overclocking? I have a Celeron D 2.66Ghz (sck478) and would like to oc it to about 4Ghz if possible. I wouldnt want the mobo to be the wall. I have read that peopl get Cely D to 3.5-4Ghz with good mobos.
I know about Abit IC7 and ASUS p4p800se but cant get those any more. Just this MSI mobo.
I have other PCs this one would be just an experiment to see what a 4GHz Celery can do.

I could also get ASUS P4P800S-X, socket 478, Intel 848P chipset.
Dont really know about this one. Looks like it has AGP/PCI lock.

Any suggestions?

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
865PE would be your bet.

4Ghz on the celly???

Maybe if the rest of your system can take it. In high overclocks, the motherboard is usually outpaced by things such as the RAM, cooling, PSU etc before the board itself becomes the Oc'ing wall.

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
For ram you have dividers. I never had a problem with ram if there are appropriate dividers. I have some DDR500 ram.
For cooling I have TT BigTyphoon.
But actualy its all about the voltage cos when you rais it heat climbs exponentialy. I have a quality PSU.
Take a look at the link
http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/95538-socket-478-appreciation-society-best-motherboards.html

The Cely I got is presccot and yes presccot can go from 3.5-4 GHz even beyond. 805D is a double presccot.

I have a cheap Asrock mobo that hase no PCI/AGP lock and when I turn off everything in bios I can get it to 3.2 (no voltage options). Its a really cheap mobo (mATX) with some VIA chipset it doesn't even have dual channel memory.

Please does anyone have experience with this mobo? Is it good at overclocking? I have a Celeron D 2.66Ghz (sck478) and would like to oc it to about 4Ghz if possible. I wouldnt want the mobo to be the wall. I have read that peopl get Cely D to 3.5-4Ghz with good mobos.
I know about Abit IC7 and ASUS p4p800se but cant get those any more. Just this MSI mobo.
I have other PCs this one would be just an experiment to see what a 4GHz Celery can do.

I could also get ASUS P4P800S-X, socket 478, Intel 848P chipset.
Dont really know about this one. Looks like it has AGP/PCI lock.

Any suggestions?

ack MSI

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
The benefit of your celly is the lack of your onboard cache.
Which really helps you achieve higher clocks, I think your board just might
be your limiting factor in this case.

TBH, I wouldnt upgrade your board though just to push a celeron as far as you can. -- Its not worth it. Maybe if you had a Dothan based cel, but even then, those chips are so cheap it isnt even funny.