Share USB Removable Drive

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

I want to use external USB drives to backup a SQL Server database to, then
disconnect the drive for an offsite backup. The USB drives will be connected
to the workstations of three users; thus each will have the capability of
doing the offsite backup. The drives need to be shared in order for SQL
Server to backup to them. Here's my problem: every time I reconnect the
drive, all of the sharing info that existed before it was disconnected is
lost. Any suggestions? TIA!

"Ron Hinds" <__NoSpam@__NoSpamramac.com> wrote in message
> I want to use external USB drives to backup a SQL Server database to, then
> disconnect the drive for an offsite backup. The USB drives will be
connected
> to the workstations of three users; thus each will have the capability of
> doing the offsite backup. The drives need to be shared in order for SQL
> Server to backup to them. Here's my problem: every time I reconnect the
> drive, all of the sharing info that existed before it was disconnected is
> lost. Any suggestions? TIA!

Never mind! I figured it out. In case anyone else is interested, the trick
is to make sure you use the "Unplug or eject hardware" utility to Stop the
USB drive *before* removing it.