First time Build

convo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking about building my own computer. I been reading up on building comps for a few months now. I get a lot of it but there are a few things i'm not sure of. I have a few questions I hope a few of you could help with. I'm probably gonna use a 6400 conroe, 2gigs of ram and a 1900XT 512 Vid card. I'm really not looking to spend a ton of $$ on this since it's my first build. Also I don't plan to OC anything cause I don't know how=P

What would be a good MB for a first time builder? I read up on a few but is it better to wait till more come out for the conroe? If so anyone have an idea when new boards will be out?

I want to use my old hard drive and add another to the build. What do I need to do if anything to make this work? Would i have to reinstall my OS in the new hard drive? I'm sure i could be more clear with this but i'm confused myself so hard to put it in words.

Thanks in advance, I can figure anything out with a general knowledge but i want to be clear on this kinda stuff before I buy. Hah and please remember I really am a noob to this stuff.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Fellow newb :)

I started my first build last week with the e6300. Is yours going to be a gaming machine? I tried to stay on budget but went a little over. Ive heard the Gigabyte 965p-DS3 is good to start with. I dont plan on doing raid or overclocking also. The DS3 is finiky with RAM if you decide on the ds3. The mobo supports memory with 1.8v. I went with corsair ddr2-533 (1.8v)

I did some mail in rebates with newegg also. I listed the parts and got the thumbs up:

WD SATAII 250GB 16mb cache for $67 (mail in rebate included)
Saphirre x1900xtx $329 (mail in rebate included)
x16 DVD-RW-R Lightscribe $39.99 (mail in rebate with microcenter)

And the one Im annoyed at because I missed the sale
$129 Soundblaster X-fi XM but newegg had a sale a week later for $71

Sorry, about the HDD's I don't know. I bought 2 new HDD's. Existing ones im not familiar with.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
If you're going to use your old harddrive, I'm assuming it's an IDE drive, then your concerns will be availablity of IDE connections, since newer boards are mostly going SATA.

As for a board, depends on budget. If you're not going to OC, then an Intel P/G965 chipset board will work. Or even the ASRock 775 will work.

I would recommend a fresh OS install after a build.

Are you planning on using your existing case and PSU, as well?

convo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Thx for the replies. I'm building a comp for gaming. I need to get a case and a PSU. I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119042 for the case. Anyone know how good this case is for a first time build? Enough fans to keep my CPU and GPU cool? I figured the extra room would only help me. Still not sure on PS. I was thinking a 500W plus PS? I have no intentions on OC so I guess the MB's you guys listed will do. Maybe I'll forget about the harddrive since my comp is about 4 years old. I might just grab a 250mb for a HD. I want to run the newer games coming out on full settings so I'm hoping a build like this will do it.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
If you're gonna run a bare system: CPU, mobo, video, 1-2 HDs, DVD/CD and soundcard, then a 500W PSU should do fine.

The case is pretty large, are you planning on adding more stuff or going H2O cooling? I have the original CMStacker, and I use it for my file server with multiple drives in it. And it still feels open and barren in there.

The ASUS P5B Deluxe is a good board, same with Intel's 975xbx, or any of the 975x chipset boards. The P965 is also very good, and has QC compatiblity, supposedly. Take a look at some of the review/comparasion sites for C2D motherboards for your choices. If you're not going to overclock, then the Intel P965 chipset should be a good choice.

The only real concern would be getting a decent PSU, and make sure it has all the necessary connections you need. Good with a brand name, Antec, Enermax, or PC Power and Cooling (if you have the cash).

Good luck with the build.

convo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I don't have to have a large case i just want a case that will be easy to use for a first time build. I don't plan to load the case up with stuff. I'm going with AIR cooling and maybe 2 Harddrives.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I don't have to have a large case i just want a case that will be easy to use for a first time build. I don't plan to load the case up with stuff. I'm going with AIR cooling and maybe 2 Harddrives.

Well, the CMStack is overkill then. It's a huge full tower case, and it stands pretty damn close to 2 ft tall in height.

A smaller case is doable, for sure. As for air cooling, the stock HSF with the retail should be good enough, but if you get an OEM chip, you're gonna need a HSF setup.

Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS