Consoles too weak for Crysis

pauldh

Illustrious
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11651/Crytek-Next-Gen-Consoles-Are-Too-Weak-for-Crysis/

quote - “next generation consoles like the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 do not offer the sufficient power” to assure the quality of gameplay Crytek demand for Crysis.

That's not gonna sit well with some folks. :p

akscottbot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
LOL if neither 360 nor ps3 can handle a ported version of crysis i'd be amazed.

As the graphical power of either should be equivalent to a med-high range gaming pc, if they couldnt run it then neither could 90% of pc users.

Most pc gamers dont have bleeding edge pc's. No company is stupid enough that they would alienate all but a small fraction of pc users. They would be financial suicide.

Dont tell me that the settings cant be turned down for older pcs or that the game cant be recoded for consoles.

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Oh boy that's hilarious. Haha... take that console fanboys!

Clearly the PC is the dominant force in gaming... us (the hardcore gaming crowd) have always known this but this proves it!

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11651/Crytek-Next-Gen-Consoles-Are-Too-Weak-for-Crysis/

quote - “next generation consoles like the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 do not offer the sufficient power” to assure the quality of gameplay Crytek demand for Crysis.

That's not gonna sit well with some folks. :p

Good thing i dont use my PS2 no more. (Collecting dust in a box) I never realized Crysis was even going to be on the console demand. PC's are more dominant to any Console or Console(s). I personally think that people who own consoles are poor and cant afford a nice enough PC to play certain games.

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
im sure it will get a release but with out all the shader options. what i think they mean is that it wont be as god intended.

just look at the Xbox versions of far cry. not the same game we all played was it...

MidnightDreamer

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
How old are you guys honestly? Those are some pretty uneducated remarks to make. Consoles are great gaming machines... Some of the greatest games out are for consoles only. I honestly dump almost a grand a year into computer hardware, this compares to maybe the grand that I've spent in consoles over the last 4 years... PC's will always have the leading edge when it comes to capabilities, it'll only be a short time before PC graphics will catch up to the next gen consoles. Honestly, if you can afford to keep your PC up to date with the latest gaming hardware, then you can definately afford a console... Titles like FF, GranTurismo, and MGS you can't really find outside of the console realm...

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Titles like FF, GranTurismo, and MGS you can't really find outside of the console realm...

Consolitus is a serious medical problem... you should check in with your doctor.

Seriously, pc gaming has always been for the more matured gamer. There is no arguing with it. While they simplify games for console users we end up getting shafted because of the consoles limitations. This is quite a knock to the console community because finally our hardware (that has always been substantially better) has finally proven so and taken the front of the pack.

We have people still playing games from the 90's heavily such as Half-Life and Starcraft. You would never see such a developed community on consoles. Most of us put our machines together... and most of us understand the basic ideas behind the hardware... most console users are totally unaware of the machine they are using. All the care about is.. can I put it in and press play?

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Old news, but still entertaining. I've had so many people try to explain to me why the Xbox360 and PS3 are better than any PC out. I don't fall for Sony and Microsoft's marketing hype.

I will admit however my little lunchbox console (Nintendo Gamecube) has provided me with a pretty good gaming experience; graphics have actually been pretty impressive in titles like Resident Evil 4.

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
There is no denying that you can have fun on a console. It's not as intimate... that's for sure.

Consoles are designed with the casual gamer in mind. Someone who can through 1hr to 3hrs gaming in, in a day.

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
How old are you guys honestly? Those are some pretty uneducated remarks to make. Consoles are great gaming machines... Some of the greatest games out are for consoles only. I honestly dump almost a grand a year into computer hardware, this compares to maybe the grand that I've spent in consoles over the last 4 years... PC's will always have the leading edge when it comes to capabilities, it'll only be a short time before PC graphics will catch up to the next gen consoles. Honestly, if you can afford to keep your PC up to date with the latest gaming hardware, then you can definately afford a console... Titles like FF, GranTurismo, and MGS you can't really find outside of the console realm...

FNG.

i joke i joke.
welcome.

pauldh

Illustrious
I had heard that Crysis will be PC only, but found it funny to have a game deisgner put in such a direct console bashing way. I do realize however, it's CPU computaional power the hyped up consoles hurt in more than say what R500 can do. But it's looking like the possibility exists that they don't even want to release a tuned down console version. Yet we still have people saying PC's will catch up to consoles, as if Conroe + X1900XTX or GF7950GX2 has catching up to do. :roll:

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I was just typing that...

Consoles can be dedicated machines... but that doesn't mean their dedicated tech can pull out all the stops and make a miracle.

I'm quite comfortable with my rig... and no console will give it a run for it's money for another few years.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah, I just wasted 20 minutes reading through their comment section. It's a war as expected, but less amusing than I thought it would be. I couple funny comments, and ignorant statements, but not really worth reading.

One guy did say it will take R600 to surpass xenos unified power. Of course he got X1900XT and 7900gtx sli pixel fill rate thrown back at him. One console supporter took it personally and urges console owners to take offense and spend their money away from crytek the raging console biggots. :lol:

ArbY

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
Titles like FF, GranTurismo, and MGS you can't really find outside of the console realm...

Consolitus is a serious medical problem... you should check in with your doctor.

Seriously, pc gaming has always been for the more matured gamer. There is no arguing with it. While they simplify games for console users we end up getting shafted because of the consoles limitations. This is quite a knock to the console community because finally our hardware (that has always been substantially better) has finally proven so and taken the front of the pack.

We have people still playing games from the 90's heavily such as Half-Life and Starcraft. You would never see such a developed community on consoles. Most of us put our machines together... and most of us understand the basic ideas behind the hardware... most console users are totally unaware of the machine they are using. All the care about is.. can I put it in and press play?

Whoa, what's your problem?

It's almost painful to read such extensive generalizations, line after line. What the heck is a more matured gamer? If you mean to imply that age is an indication of maturity, then perhaps it is gentle to assume that console players tend to be younger. However, age in no way reflects maturity.

There are many children's games on the PC; a classification of games which you wouldn't even find on a console. There are early education PC titles, virtually none of which you'll find on that sparkling Xbox360 or for pre-order with your PS3. Maybe if you've got your head stuck in a Myst or Riven community, perhaps you may develop the misconception that PC gamers are more matured. Even in Counter-Strike it's clear to most that immaturity is nearly a requirement if you desire to fit in or at least avoid friction.

Back in the 90s, consoles were still young and, in my opinion, still consoles. There was no Xbox Live! or online capabilities whatsoever. So of course you won't be finding developed Mario Party or Perfect Dark communities. Though today, the Xbox Live! community is quite large and growing.

And I don't know where you got the idea that most PC users have put their own machines together. Maybe you should inform Dell, HP, or even that company in your signature about this fact.
What are the basics of computer hardware? That electricity is pumped through the components and they work? You press the press the power button on your case and stuff appears on the screen? Yeah, I'm also sure most modern human beings may understand these sorts of "basics." However ask people what the function of the FSB is, or how clock speeds for RAM are determined and I think you'll start to find many people don't actually know.

And finally, congratulations, by your last sentence it seems you've discovered the entire appeal of consoles all together.

pauldh

Illustrious
And finally, congratulations, by your last sentence it seems you've discovered the entire appeal of consoles all together.
So can we imply that what you are saying is consoles are for the technologically challenged? :twisted: JK, couldn't resist, LOL.

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
The dev was probably trying to convey that Xbox360/PS3 can't handle Crysis with all the eye candy/at high settings DX10 will offer. Surely Crysis will be DX9 compatible and be able to run on "older" video cards like the 1800 xt/7800 gtx, albeit at mid-level settings. Hence, Xbox360 and PS3 should be able to run it, just not as well as a top-of-the line PC sporting a DX10 card.

Anyways, Ubi$oft would never let a game with this much hype attached pass by consoles, even if they had to dumb down the graphics a bit.

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Obviously you don't understand what I mean by mature gamer. I don't mean age range at all. I mean that most PC gamers are enthusiasts. It's alot harder to pick a game up and devote time to it, because you run into problems with hardware and software and generally the whole scheme of things takes a little bit more intelligence.

I used to console game, up until '96. I took on PC gaming because of the benefits of modding and customizing. The MP aspect of PC gaming has been around alot longer... and frankly I would rather see a kid in counterstrike say "LOL NOOBIE" than here some snot nosed 14 year old kid with daddies approval on XBOX say "F*CK YOU NOOB".

The online community on pc is ALWAYS going to be bigger and better... we have the f*cking internet on our side. We have more powerful machines and more dedicated players. Is that so hard to come to terms with?

I have built my computers for years... and quite frankly I suck at it. I built a few lackluster machines and finally got the chance to go for gold in the form of Falcon Northwest. I had one when I was a kid see... back in the days of Quake 2. I always wanted to get another one but couldn't afford it... so I built. One day a check ends up in my mail... because of a car accident and I think "Hell Ya Falcon, here I come again". Why hate on someone who has a custom built and refer to it as a pre-built like Dell? Do you not know anything about Falcon? About how each computer is built by hand by one person and not made on a factory line? About how each computer is individually tweaked and tested to maximize potential?

Sorry, but consoles are for children and casual gamers... this is proven. Go back to your consolized versions of games and leave me alone with my faster... more customizable... more interactive pc.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Are we all forgetting that consoles like the XBox 360 cost around $300 to make? I'd wager to say half of the people replying to this topic have spent that much on a single component... maybe double. Yes, PCs have more power... but I think the argument could be made that consoles are clearly more efficient at what they do.

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I too had enough money to buy both and i am happy, i love playing fps games on my computer but i can stand racing/sport games on computer so i got a 360, plus i also got a new Planet Eclipse EGO paintballl which is roughly $1200 and this is all my money i earned, none came from parents and what not so you can GTFO if you are being a gay ass, i just take advantage of what is put in front of me :D