fibres optical

Hi.
I have some problem please help me. J must know what is happen when we
used screen with aluminums foil in the optical fibres cable. Have
somebody heard about it? What is happen when light run in core in his
situation ray will be behave.
3 answers Last reply
More about fibres optical

    Adam <zewal@interia.pl> wrote:
    > I have some problem please help me. J must know what is
    > happen when we used screen with aluminums foil in the optical
    > fibres cable. Have somebody heard about it? What is happen
    > when light run in core in his situation ray will be behave.

    Are you talking fiber-optic cable armored by braid and/or
    aluminum foil? They would have no effect other than mechanical
    or potentially forming a ground loop. Fiber signals should
    be unimpaired.

    -- Robert

    In article <N9XId.6559$2e7.4091@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>,
    Robert Redelmeier <redelm@ev1.net.invalid> wrote:
    :Adam <zewal@interia.pl> wrote:
    :> I have some problem please help me. J must know what is
    :> happen when we used screen with aluminums foil in the optical
    :> fibres cable. Have somebody heard about it? What is happen
    :> when light run in core in his situation ray will be behave.

    :Are you talking fiber-optic cable armored by braid and/or
    :aluminum foil? They would have no effect other than mechanical
    :or potentially forming a ground loop. Fiber signals should
    :be unimpaired.

    The original message does not seem to have made it to me yet.

    Looking around the net a bit, it appears that there -could- be
    an efffect. The circumstances would have to be such that there
    was an electric field moving through the foil, and that that was
    in turn generating a magnetic field... and the magnetic field would
    have to be fairly strong [which seems unlikely with the small amount
    of current that could be carried in aluminum foil at temperatures
    that wouldn't turn the fibre hard and brittle.]

    If -somehow- a fairly strong magnetic field surround the optical fibre,
    you could get at least two effects: Zeeman splitting, and
    [if I read properly] -decreases- in coherent backscattering... which
    could imply, I suppose, that the fibre might lose more light.
    It appears other effects would come into play as well.. increased
    polarization, Positron Hall Effects...

    But at the sorts of magnetic fields likely to be found in everyday life,
    even if the fibre were fairly close by an industrial electrical
    transformer, I would be surprised if there was any effect larger than
    that obtained by doing a really good cleaning of the optical connectors.
    --
    Usenet is one of those "Good News/Bad News" comedy routines.

    Adam wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I have some problem please help me. J must know what is happen when we
    > used screen with aluminums foil in the optical fibres cable. Have
    > somebody heard about it? What is happen when light run in core in his
    > situation ray will be behave.

    Post more information.

    Yes, there are fiber optic cables with aluminum corrugated foil armor.
    Yes, being electrically conductive, they can attract a lightning bolt that
    can easily destroy the fibers. Also, you can rather easily over-bend this
    cable and make the aluminum armor crush into fibers effectively destroying
    them. Other than that I cannot think of any other adverse effect that the
    aluminum armor might have had on the fibers unless you want to describe
    your problem in greater detail, and some other ways may be found.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
    comp.dcom.lans.ethernet - 1681 messages and counting!

Ethernet Card Networking