Windows 2000, restart Automatically

Hi,

Windows 2000 automatically restart without any error message (the
option reboot automatically in startup and recovery is disabled). I
installed Windows 2000 in mode NTFS and FAT32, even problem.

My system is 2.4 ghz with 512 DDR, Hd 60 gig.
I Install Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 with security update on
(Windows update).

Is it possible, that problem is due to the memory RAM?
or Motherboard, hard disk ?

I have no idea.

Thanks in advance !
5 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 restart automatically

    Yes it is most likely hardware, Microsoft has a handy memory checker program

    mtinst.exe

    A quick search for that will get you the program, it uses a single floppy to
    run and it tests your RAM it only takes 5 to 10 minutes and is great for
    figuring out if it your RAM.

    Justin

    "Ian" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Windows 2000 automatically restart without any error message (the
    > option reboot automatically in startup and recovery is disabled). I
    > installed Windows 2000 in mode NTFS and FAT32, even problem.
    >
    > My system is 2.4 ghz with 512 DDR, Hd 60 gig.
    > I Install Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 with security update on
    > (Windows update).
    >
    > Is it possible, that problem is due to the memory RAM?
    > or Motherboard, hard disk ?
    >
    > I have no idea.
    >
    > Thanks in advance !

    Hi, Ian.

    When the computer reboots spontaneously without an error message, the
    problem is almost always in the hardware, not the operating system or
    software.

    That narrows it down, but leaves MANY possibilities. It could be any of the
    factors you mentioned (RAM, mobo, HD) - or something else (cables, power
    supply...). They could be defective, or simply plugged in wrong. My latest
    disaster apparently was simply from dust bunnies because there were some
    empty PCI slots and their backplane openings were not covered. Another
    suspect was my old flat ribbon cables, which had been bent and twisted until
    there may have been breaks in their wires. Heat buildup can often leave us
    staring at a black screen while our computer unexpectedly reboots. :>(

    While there are many gurus here who can solve many non-Win2K problems, this
    NG is probably not your best resource for this kind of problem. You need to
    do some hardware testing and experimenting to diagnose the actual problem.
    So, check every plug, cable and connection; remove and reseat DIMMS; get a
    utility program to report the temperatures of your CPU and case; and other
    such hardware diagnostics and tests.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Ian" <marmot79@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Windows 2000 automatically restart without any error message (the
    > option reboot automatically in startup and recovery is disabled). I
    > installed Windows 2000 in mode NTFS and FAT32, even problem.
    >
    > My system is 2.4 ghz with 512 DDR, Hd 60 gig.
    > I Install Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 with security update on
    > (Windows update).
    >
    > Is it possible, that problem is due to the memory RAM?
    > or Motherboard, hard disk ?
    >
    > I have no idea.
    >
    > Thanks in advance !
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    a quick search where
    found nothing on msft site

    "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Yes it is most likely hardware, Microsoft has a handy memory checker
    program

    > mtinst.exe
    >
    > A quick search for that will get you the program, it uses a single floppy
    > run and it tests your RAM it only takes 5 to 10 minutes and is great for
    > figuring out if it your RAM.
    >
    > Justin
    >
    > "Ian" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Windows 2000 automatically restart without any error message (the
    > > option reboot automatically in startup and recovery is disabled). I
    > > installed Windows 2000 in mode NTFS and FAT32, even problem.
    > >
    > > My system is 2.4 ghz with 512 DDR, Hd 60 gig.
    > > I Install Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 with security update on
    > > (Windows update).
    > >
    > > Is it possible, that problem is due to the memory RAM?
    > > or Motherboard, hard disk ?
    > >
    > > I have no idea.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance !

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Sorry about that, thats how i had found it last time, here is the information

    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    Direct Link to the file (i highly suggest reading the info / printing it out
    above)
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/mtinst.exe

    Justin

    "me" wrote:

    > a quick search where
    > found nothing on msft site
    >
    > "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes it is most likely hardware, Microsoft has a handy memory checker
    > program
    > >
    > > mtinst.exe
    > >
    > > A quick search for that will get you the program, it uses a single floppy
    > > run and it tests your RAM it only takes 5 to 10 minutes and is great for
    > > figuring out if it your RAM.
    > >
    > > Justin
    > >
    > > "Ian" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Windows 2000 automatically restart without any error message (the
    > > > option reboot automatically in startup and recovery is disabled). I
    > > > installed Windows 2000 in mode NTFS and FAT32, even problem.
    > > >
    > > > My system is 2.4 ghz with 512 DDR, Hd 60 gig.
    > > > I Install Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 with security update on
    > > > (Windows update).
    > > >
    > > > Is it possible, that problem is due to the memory RAM?
    > > > or Motherboard, hard disk ?
    > > >
    > > > I have no idea.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance !

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    marmot79@hotmail.com (Ian) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    > Windows 2000 automatically restart without any error message (the
    >option reboot automatically in startup and recovery is disabled). I
    >installed Windows 2000 in mode NTFS and FAT32, even problem.
    >
    >My system is 2.4 ghz with 512 DDR, Hd 60 gig.
    >I Install Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 with security update on
    >(Windows update).
    >
    >Is it possible, that problem is due to the memory RAM?
    >or Motherboard, hard disk ?

    Likely hardware, as others already pointed out. Where to start?

    If you have more than 1 RAM stick, try running on 1 and see
    how the machine behaves. Then try the other. You might have to swap
    them into the appropriate slot.

    I had two 256 DDR sticks go bad within several weeks of each other. Exactly the
    same symptoms as you describe.

    Good you have the automatic reboot disabled. Otherwise this could go
    'round and 'round and 'round.

    Roger

Windows 2000 Windows