Windows 2000, restart Automatically

Ian

Hi,

Windows 2000 automatically restart without any error message (the
option reboot automatically in startup and recovery is disabled). I
installed Windows 2000 in mode NTFS and FAT32, even problem.

My system is 2.4 ghz with 512 DDR, Hd 60 gig.
I Install Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 with security update on
(Windows update).

Is it possible, that problem is due to the memory RAM?
or Motherboard, hard disk ?

I have no idea.

Thanks in advance !

Justin

Yes it is most likely hardware, Microsoft has a handy memory checker program

mtinst.exe

A quick search for that will get you the program, it uses a single floppy to
run and it tests your RAM it only takes 5 to 10 minutes and is great for
figuring out if it your RAM.

Justin

"Ian" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Windows 2000 automatically restart without any error message (the
> option reboot automatically in startup and recovery is disabled). I
> installed Windows 2000 in mode NTFS and FAT32, even problem.
>
> My system is 2.4 ghz with 512 DDR, Hd 60 gig.
> I Install Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 with security update on
> (Windows update).
>
> Is it possible, that problem is due to the memory RAM?
> or Motherboard, hard disk ?
>
> I have no idea.
>
> Thanks in advance !

Hi, Ian.

When the computer reboots spontaneously without an error message, the
problem is almost always in the hardware, not the operating system or
software.

That narrows it down, but leaves MANY possibilities. It could be any of the
factors you mentioned (RAM, mobo, HD) - or something else (cables, power
supply...). They could be defective, or simply plugged in wrong. My latest
disaster apparently was simply from dust bunnies because there were some
empty PCI slots and their backplane openings were not covered. Another
suspect was my old flat ribbon cables, which had been bent and twisted until
there may have been breaks in their wires. Heat buildup can often leave us
staring at a black screen while our computer unexpectedly reboots. :>(

While there are many gurus here who can solve many non-Win2K problems, this
NG is probably not your best resource for this kind of problem. You need to
do some hardware testing and experimenting to diagnose the actual problem.
So, check every plug, cable and connection; remove and reseat DIMMS; get a
utility program to report the temperatures of your CPU and case; and other
such hardware diagnostics and tests.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Ian" <marmot79@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Windows 2000 automatically restart without any error message (the
> option reboot automatically in startup and recovery is disabled). I
> installed Windows 2000 in mode NTFS and FAT32, even problem.
>
> My system is 2.4 ghz with 512 DDR, Hd 60 gig.
> I Install Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 with security update on
> (Windows update).
>
> Is it possible, that problem is due to the memory RAM?
> or Motherboard, hard disk ?
>
> I have no idea.
>
> Thanks in advance !

ME

a quick search where
found nothing on msft site

"Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes it is most likely hardware, Microsoft has a handy memory checker
program

> mtinst.exe
>
> A quick search for that will get you the program, it uses a single floppy
> run and it tests your RAM it only takes 5 to 10 minutes and is great for
> figuring out if it your RAM.
>
> Justin
>
> "Ian" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Windows 2000 automatically restart without any error message (the
> > option reboot automatically in startup and recovery is disabled). I
> > installed Windows 2000 in mode NTFS and FAT32, even problem.
> >
> > My system is 2.4 ghz with 512 DDR, Hd 60 gig.
> > I Install Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 with security update on
> > (Windows update).
> >
> > Is it possible, that problem is due to the memory RAM?
> > or Motherboard, hard disk ?
> >
> > I have no idea.
> >
> > Thanks in advance !

Justin

Sorry about that, thats how i had found it last time, here is the information

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Direct Link to the file (i highly suggest reading the info / printing it out
above)
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/mtinst.exe

Justin

"me" wrote:

> a quick search where
> found nothing on msft site
>
> "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes it is most likely hardware, Microsoft has a handy memory checker
> program
> >
> > mtinst.exe
> >
> > A quick search for that will get you the program, it uses a single floppy
> > run and it tests your RAM it only takes 5 to 10 minutes and is great for
> > figuring out if it your RAM.
> >
> > Justin
> >
> > "Ian" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Windows 2000 automatically restart without any error message (the
> > > option reboot automatically in startup and recovery is disabled). I
> > > installed Windows 2000 in mode NTFS and FAT32, even problem.
> > >
> > > My system is 2.4 ghz with 512 DDR, Hd 60 gig.
> > > I Install Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 with security update on
> > > (Windows update).
> > >
> > > Is it possible, that problem is due to the memory RAM?
> > > or Motherboard, hard disk ?
> > >
> > > I have no idea.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance !

somebody

marmot79@hotmail.com (Ian) wrote:

>Hi,
>
> Windows 2000 automatically restart without any error message (the
>option reboot automatically in startup and recovery is disabled). I
>installed Windows 2000 in mode NTFS and FAT32, even problem.
>
>My system is 2.4 ghz with 512 DDR, Hd 60 gig.
>I Install Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 with security update on
>(Windows update).
>
>Is it possible, that problem is due to the memory RAM?
>or Motherboard, hard disk ?

Likely hardware, as others already pointed out. Where to start?

If you have more than 1 RAM stick, try running on 1 and see
how the machine behaves. Then try the other. You might have to swap
them into the appropriate slot.

I had two 256 DDR sticks go bad within several weeks of each other. Exactly the
same symptoms as you describe.

Good you have the automatic reboot disabled. Otherwise this could go
'round and 'round and 'round.

Roger