Delete file error

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 14, 2004 1:13:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Hello,

I had a directory that I no long wish to use, so I tried to delete it.

The error I get on trying to delete it:

Cannot delete <folder name>: There has been a sharing violation. The
destination file may be in use.

Nothing else appears to be using it. How do I go about finding what
is using it or why is this error happening?

I checked the task manager and I see no sign of it listed there.

Suggestions.

Thanks,

Tmuld

More about : delete file error

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 5:11:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Best thing to do is reboot. Then immediately after you arrive at the desktop try deleteing it. If that doesn'r work then you have a call into something at that location at boot. If that is the case check these keys in the registry for an entry pointing to something in the folder:

Star | Run | regedit | OK Navigate to and select:

On the right look for a call to something in that folder or a call to something your application was using specific to that application. It may be in C:\WINNT\system32. Then you look at the properties of the file and see if it has a copyright that corresponds to your application's mfg.

The other place to look in the registry is here:

Also you may need to check the startup folder for both the All Users profile and the one you use.

--
George Hester

!