Drives (partitions) disappeared

I have 2 HDD. The 1st HDD has three partitions (C: [10G]
D: [10G] and E: [40G]) and the 2nd HDD has only one
partition (F: [9G])

Win2000 is installed in C: and WinXP is installed in D:.
When I boot up from WinXP, all the drives (C, D, E, F)
can be seen normally but if I boot up from Win2000, the
D: and E: drives are disappear. Only C: and F: are shown
in "My Computer" and "Computer Management".

Please anyone help to solve this problem. Thanks in
advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about drives partitions disappeared

    Hi, Ryan.

    By "Computer Management" do you mean "Disk Management", which is a component
    of both Win2K and WinXP? If not, then please drill down one step lower to
    run that "snap-in" to the Microsoft Management Console. Or, at the Run
    prompt, enter: diskmgmt.msc

    Does Disk Management show both HDDs? Which is Disk 0 and which is Disk 1?
    What does the graphical view show for each HDD? Are these answers different
    when you boot into WinXP or Win2K?

    Your second HDD is 9 GB? That's an unusual size for an IDE drive, but it is
    quite common for SCSI drives. (My boot device is a 9 GB IBM SCSI.) What
    are the interfaces for your HDDs: IDE? SCSI? SATA? or ??

    Are you using the dual-boot system built into all Windows versions since
    WinNT4 that use the NT platform? Or are you using a third-party boot
    manager, such as Boot Magic?

    Darn! Seems that I have more questions than you do. :^{ But this
    information will help us help you solve your problem. Without it, we're
    only guessing.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Ryan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have 2 HDD. The 1st HDD has three partitions (C: [10G]
    > D: [10G] and E: [40G]) and the 2nd HDD has only one
    > partition (F: [9G])
    >
    > Win2000 is installed in C: and WinXP is installed in D:.
    > When I boot up from WinXP, all the drives (C, D, E, F)
    > can be seen normally but if I boot up from Win2000, the
    > D: and E: drives are disappear. Only C: and F: are shown
    > in "My Computer" and "Computer Management".
    >
    > Please anyone help to solve this problem. Thanks in
    > advance.

    Yes, I mean the "Disk management". The Disk Management can
    show both HDDs correctly (with the correct total size) in
    Win2000 and in WinXP.

    Graphic view: The 1st HDD (disk 0) should have 3 drives
    (C: D: and E:), but in Win2000, it only show one drive(the
    C: with the size equal to the entire HD size).
    My 2nd HDD is Maxtor IDE HD (size is roughly 9G).

    Yes, I use the WinXP dual boot system to boot from WinXP
    and Win2000.

    I have format the E: drive to NTSF under WinXP. I don't
    know if this would screw up the FAT table in Win2000??

    Hope this onformation will help you to solve my problem.

    Thanks and Regards.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi, Ryan.

    We're making a little progress, but we're never going to solve this thing
    unless we learn and use the proper terminology. It's not our fault;
    everybody uses "disk" and "drive" as though they are the same thing, but
    they are not. And everybody says we format a "drive", but we don't.

    Each physical hard disk can be divided into one to four "partitions". One
    of these may be an "extended partition"; the others are "primary
    partitions". Each primary partition is assigned a "drive" letter. The
    extended partition is not assigned a drive letter. We can create one or
    more "logical drives" within the extended partition, and each of these is
    assigned a "drive" letter. To reduce the confusion just a little, I like to
    use the term "volume" to refer to each primary partition and each logical
    drive. Each volume is assigned a drive letter; each is separately formatted
    independently from all other volumes.

    > Graphic view: The 1st HDD (disk 0) should have 3 drives
    > (C: D: and E:), but in Win2000, it only show one drive(the
    > C: with the size equal to the entire HD size).

    So, Disk 0 has 3 volumes. Does WinXP show all of them? Are they 3 primary
    partitions? Or is one of them an extended partitions? How many logical
    drives are in the extended partition? In Win2K, does the single partition
    (C:) show as a primary partition? Or what? (You've never used "dynamic
    drives" on this computer, have you? I know nothing of those.)

    Is your installation of Win2K up to date? WinXP changed the NTFS format
    slightly, but if Win2K is current with the latest Service Pack (SP4, I
    think), it should handle the new format without complaint.

    > I have format the E: drive to NTSF under WinXP. I don't
    > know if this would screw up the FAT table in Win2000??

    The format of any one volume should have absolutely no effect on the
    formatting of any other volume.

    Don't confuse the operating system (Win2K v. WinXP v. MS-DOS or Win9x/ME)
    with the file system (FAT v. FAT32 v. NTFS). While Win9x/ME cannot read
    NTFS, both Win2K and WinXP mix and match FAT and NTFS volumes seamlessly.
    If E: is formatted NTFS, then it is NTFS, and both Win2K and WinXP will see
    it as that. MS-DOS and Win9x/ME won't see an NTFS volume at all, but that
    should have no bearing on your current situation.

    > Hope this onformation will help you to solve my problem.

    You misunderstand. I'm NOT going to solve your problem! YOU are going to
    solve your problem. I will help if I can, but it's YOUR problem and I'm
    only HELPING you solve YOUR problem. ;^}

    Answer my questions above (full description of the partitions on Disk 0 and
    whether Win2K is up to date) and I will see if I can help you figure out the
    next step.

    RC
    --

    > Yes, I mean the "Disk management". The Disk Management can
    > show both HDDs correctly (with the correct total size) in
    > Win2000 and in WinXP.
    >
    > Graphic view: The 1st HDD (disk 0) should have 3 drives
    > (C: D: and E:), but in Win2000, it only show one drive(the
    > C: with the size equal to the entire HD size).
    > My 2nd HDD is Maxtor IDE HD (size is roughly 9G).
    >
    > Yes, I use the WinXP dual boot system to boot from WinXP
    > and Win2000.
    >
    > I have format the E: drive to NTSF under WinXP. I don't
    > know if this would screw up the FAT table in Win2000??
    >
    > Hope this onformation will help you to solve my problem.
    >

    > Thanks and Regards.

File System Computers Boot Hard Drives Microsoft Windows