Windows Explorer delay

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 15, 2004 9:22:32 PM

Any function on my PC which requires Window Explorer
causes a huge delay or freeze. For instance, call up Word
(Office XP) and try to open a file. The computer freezes
for a long term. The function eventually comes through
and things go normally, but at the end of the file use
even the saving function requires a long wait. Calling
up "My Computer" from the desktop works pretty much the
same. The dialog box is blank at first. Wait a bit (30
seconds to multiple minutes) and the dialog box fills and
the files are readily accessible. Does anyone who is
brighter than me have a clue what I should do to stop this?

More about : windows explorer delay

August 16, 2004 10:03:56 PM

I used Dependancy Walker http://www.dependencywalker.com/ to diagnose a
similar problem with IE and various apps, it showed the system
freezing/delayed on accessing a particular dll. It turned out top be a video
driver. Once reinstalled the problems were cured.
Should your problem be vid.driver related I trust you use the vid.driver
from yr hardware manu.sit and not winupdate.
You could also use msconfig to disable all startups, hide all MS Services,
disable rest, and see if problem still occurs. If it does not then its a
matter of trial and test, by re-enabling.
http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

"Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Any function on my PC which requires Window Explorer
> causes a huge delay or freeze. For instance, call up Word
> (Office XP) and try to open a file. The computer freezes
> for a long term. The function eventually comes through
> and things go normally, but at the end of the file use
> even the saving function requires a long wait. Calling
> up "My Computer" from the desktop works pretty much the
> same. The dialog box is blank at first. Wait a bit (30
> seconds to multiple minutes) and the dialog box fills and
> the files are readily accessible. Does anyone who is
> brighter than me have a clue what I should do to stop this?
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 8:37:29 AM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:22:32 -0700, "Bob"
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.win2000.file_system:

>Any function on my PC which requires Window Explorer
>causes a huge delay or freeze. For instance, call up Word
>(Office XP) and try to open a file. The computer freezes
>for a long term. The function eventually comes through
>and things go normally, but at the end of the file use
>even the saving function requires a long wait. Calling
>up "My Computer" from the desktop works pretty much the
>same. The dialog box is blank at first. Wait a bit (30
>seconds to multiple minutes) and the dialog box fills and
>the files are readily accessible. Does anyone who is
>brighter than me have a clue what I should do to stop this?

Are you, or were you before, connected to a remote network? Do you have
any drive letters mapped to remote servers? What does NET USE show? If
it does show anything, and if you don't want/need those connections, try
NET USE * /DEL