ROM UPgrade Issues

January 9, 2005 5:11:12 PM

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a used iPAQ 3630 running PPC2002. There appears
to be several elements of the originally factory installed software
missing (media player, for example) so I got an upgrade CD to get the
ROM back to it's former glory.

Everything goes fine until it starts to actually do the upgrade and then
it reports a communications error and stops. I've tried a soft reset, as
recommended by the upgrade software) but the problem still exists.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation.

More about : rom upgrade issues

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 8:46:30 PM

The Ipaq 3630 was a PPC2000 device and the Upgrade CD was to PPC2002.

If you already have PPC2002 on the device, this means it has already been
upgraded, and I am in doubt you will be able to install the same thing over
it. I believe that this could be the reason for the message you get.

Now, the reason why there are missing applications is that the 3630 had only
16MB or ROM memory, not enough to hold the 24MB ROM of PPC2002. So they made
a special version for it, and removed from it: Media Player, Terminal
Services Client, and other 2 applications ( I think one of them was MSN
Messenger, and can't remember the last). At that time, Microsoft provided
RAM downloads for some of the applications. They are not available anymore.

Helio Diamant - MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Editor-in-Chief
Pocket PC Freak - The Hebrew Pocket PC site
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
"SteveG" <s.goodfellow@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o jCUUUl9EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently purchased a used iPAQ 3630 running PPC2002. There appears to
> be several elements of the originally factory installed software missing
> (media player, for example) so I got an upgrade CD to get the ROM back to
> it's former glory.
>
> Everything goes fine until it starts to actually do the upgrade and then
> it reports a communications error and stops. I've tried a soft reset, as
> recommended by the upgrade software) but the problem still exists.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 8:46:31 PM

Here a few...ie. the Power Toys and Terminal Services Client...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/wce/downlo...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Helio Diamant - MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com> wrote in message
> The Ipaq 3630 was a PPC2000 device and the Upgrade CD was to PPC2002.
>
> If you already have PPC2002 on the device, this means it has already been upgraded, and I am in
> doubt you will be able to install the same thing over it. I believe that this could be the reason
> for the message you get.
>
> Now, the reason why there are missing applications is that the 3630 had only 16MB or ROM memory,
> not enough to hold the 24MB ROM of PPC2002. So they made a special version for it, and removed
> from it: Media Player, Terminal Services Client, and other 2 applications ( I think one of them
> was MSN Messenger, and can't remember the last). At that time, Microsoft provided RAM downloads
> for some of the applications. They are not available anymore.

> Helio Diamant - MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
> Editor-in-Chief
> Pocket PC Freak - The Hebrew Pocket PC site
> http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
> "SteveG" <s.goodfellow@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o jCUUUl9EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've recently purchased a used iPAQ 3630 running PPC2002. There appears to be several elements of
>> the originally factory installed software missing (media player, for example) so I got an upgrade
>> CD to get the ROM back to it's former glory.
>>
>> Everything goes fine until it starts to actually do the upgrade and then it reports a
>> communications error and stops. I've tried a soft reset, as recommended by the upgrade software)
>> but the problem still exists.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation.

January 9, 2005 9:15:12 PM

Helio Diamant - MS-MVP/Mobile Devices wrote:
> The Ipaq 3630 was a PPC2000 device and the Upgrade CD was to PPC2002.
>
> If you already have PPC2002 on the device, this means it has already been
> upgraded, and I am in doubt you will be able to install the same thing over
> it. I believe that this could be the reason for the message you get.

I've kinda come to the same conclusion about not being able to re-write
the upgrade.

> Now, the reason why there are missing applications is that the 3630 had only
> 16MB or ROM memory, not enough to hold the 24MB ROM of PPC2002. So they made
> a special version for it, and removed from it: Media Player, Terminal
> Services Client, and other 2 applications ( I think one of them was MSN
> Messenger, and can't remember the last). At that time, Microsoft provided
> RAM downloads for some of the applications. They are not available anymore.

In the SETTINGS>ABOUT>VERSION window it says my device has 32MB ROM
(well 31.27 to be exact)and I thought that this might let me install the
other apps. As it happens I've now installed a third party media player
which seems to pay mp3 files okay, so I'll forget all about the MS one.

Thanks for the help :-)
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:49:18 PM

Maybe it had 32MB of ROM and the new ROM required more than that... it is so
much time since I last used a 36xx that I surely may have missed in the ROM
sizes.

Anyway, the essence of the story is right. If you have PPC2002 on it it is
already upgraded, and the applications were left out intentionally by MS and
HP, for RAM installation.

!