Event ID: 13512
Date: 8/2/2004
Time: 6:44:44 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DOMAIN
The description for Event ID ( 13512 ) in Source ( NtFrs ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages
from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to
retrieve this description;
see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the
event: DOMAIN , c:\winnt\ntfrs\jet.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NtFrs
Event Category: None
Event ID: 13568
Date: 8/2/2004
Time: 6:45:49 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DOMAIN
The description for Event ID ( 13568 ) in Source ( NtFrs ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages
from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to
retrieve this description;
see Help and Support for details.
The following information is part of the event:
DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE), c:\winnt\sysvol\domain, \\.\C:, 5.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: NtFrs
Event Category: None
Event ID: 13501
Date: 8/2/2004
Time: 6:51:04 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DOMAIN
The description for Event ID ( 13501 ) in Source ( NtFrs ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages
from a remote computer.
You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description;
see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the
event:
The event log file is corrupt..

This seemed to start after there was a problem with a bad (shared) printer
driver on the server and it kept rebooting anytime someone tried to print
to it. I deleted the driver and they now print directly to the networked
printer which solved the problem, which didn't occur until I upgraded
BlackICE firewall on the server to the latest version. I think some file
or database corruption somewhere might be the cause??. Also, since this
started happening the workstations will sometimes get booted off the server
and the server has to be restarted. Might chkdsk fix it (maybe the USN
journal needs fixed?)? Can you suggest anything else? I'll be there
tomorrow early AM.

I'm not sure what happened to your event text, but I can at least decipher
the event IDs for you below. For info about tshooting FRS, see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/fileandprint/file/dfs/tshootfrs.mspx

13512 (This is informational and doesn't indicate a replication problem)
The File Replication Service has detected an enabled disk write cache on the
drive containing the directory %2 on the computer %1. The File Replication
Service might not recover when power to the drive is interrupted and
critical updates are lost.

13568 (This is a bad one--a journal wrap causes replication to cease. You'll
need to perform a D2 to recover. Journal wraps can be caused by running
Chkdsk--perhaps this is what happened?).
The File Replication Service has detected that the replica set "%1" is in
JRNL_WRAP_ERROR.

Replica set name is: "%1"

Replica root path is: "%2"

Replica root volume is: "%3"

A Replica set hits JRNL_WRAP_ERROR when the record that it is trying to read
from the NTFS USN journal is not found. This can occur because of one of the
following reasons.

[1] Volume "%3" has been formatted.

[2] The NTFS USN journal on volume "%3" has been deleted.

[3] The NTFS USN journal on volume "%3" has been truncated. Chkdsk can
truncate the journal if it finds corrupt entries at the end of the journal.

[4] File Replication Service was not running on this computer for a long
time.

[5] File Replication Service could not keep up with the rate of Disk IO
activity on "%3".

Setting the "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore" registry parameter to 1
will cause the following recovery steps to be taken to automatically recover
from this error state.

[1] At the first poll, which will occur in %4 minutes, this computer will be
deleted from the replica set. If you do not want to wait %4 minutes, then
run "net stop ntfrs" followed by "net start ntfrs" to restart the File
Replication Service.

[2] At the poll following the deletion this computer will be re-added to the
replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for the replica
set.

WARNING: During the recovery process data in the replica tree may be
unavailable.

You should reset the registry parameter described above to 0 to prevent
automatic recovery from making the data unexpectedly unavailable if this
error condition occurs again.

To change this registry parameter, run regedit.

Click Start, Run and type regedit.

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Click down the key path:
"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters"

Double click on the value name "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore" and
update the value.

If the value name is not present you may add it with the New->DWORD Value
function under the Edit Menu item. Type the value name exactly as shown
above.

13501
File Replication Service is starting

"Michael" <michael@thecomputer.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the
> event:
> The event log file is corrupt..
>

> This seemed to start after there was a problem with a bad (shared) printer
> driver on the server and it kept rebooting anytime someone tried to print
> to it. I deleted the driver and they now print directly to the networked
> printer which solved the problem, which didn't occur until I upgraded
> BlackICE firewall on the server to the latest version. I think some file
> or database corruption somewhere might be the cause??. Also, since this
> started happening the workstations will sometimes get booted off the
server
> and the server has to be restarted. Might chkdsk fix it (maybe the USN
> journal needs fixed?)? Can you suggest anything else? I'll be there

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the quick response, but the event text is posted and the event
ID's don't have anything to do with what you're referring to. Journal Wraps
are not mentioned. Also, SP4 and all later updates are installed BTW, and
this is the only domain controller or server. The server is standard Win2K.
I'm posting the log entries again - these are from the file replication
service event log:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: NtFrs
Event Category: None
Event ID: 13512

Date: 8/2/2004
Time: 6:51:04 AM

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in

> [...]
> to the replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for
> the replica set.
>
> WARNING: During the recovery process data in the replica tree may be
> unavailable.
>
> You should reset the registry parameter described above to 0 to
> prevent automatic recovery from making the data unexpectedly
> unavailable if this error condition occurs again.
>
> To change this registry parameter, run regedit.
>
> Click Start, Run and type regedit.
>
> Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
>
> Click down the key path:
> "System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters"
>
> Double click on the value name "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore"
> and update the value.
>
> If the value name is not present you may add it with the New->DWORD
> Value function under the Edit Menu item. Type the value name exactly

Hi Michael,

Something has corrupted the FRS event log on server DOMAIN. As a result, the
text that normally appears in the FRS events you listed is missing and has
been replaced with a standard message: "The description for Event ID (
13512 ) in Source ( NtFrs ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have
the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages
from a remote computer. "

There is likely a KB somewhere on repairing a corrupted event log; I can try
to locate one in the morning unless you beat me to it.

In my previous message I pasted the actual FRS event log messages that
correspond to the IDs 13512, 13568, and 13501. 13568 is indeed a journal
wrap and should be addressed if you have multiple DCs; however, it looks
like you have only 1 DC so FRS isn't replicating SYSVOL (unless you are
using FRS with DFS).

> [...]
> > to the replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for
> > the replica set.
> >
> > WARNING: During the recovery process data in the replica tree may be
> > unavailable.
> >
> > You should reset the registry parameter described above to 0 to
> > prevent automatic recovery from making the data unexpectedly
> > unavailable if this error condition occurs again.
> >
> > To change this registry parameter, run regedit.
> >
> > Click Start, Run and type regedit.
> >
> > Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
> >
> > Click down the key path:
> > "System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters"
> >
> > Double click on the value name "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore"
> > and update the value.
> >
> > If the value name is not present you may add it with the New->DWORD
> > Value function under the Edit Menu item. Type the value name exactly

Thank you very much Jill - I'll try and look up the KB. thanks again!

Michael

> Hi Michael,
>
> Something has corrupted the FRS event log on server DOMAIN. As a
> result, the text that normally appears in the FRS events you listed is
> missing and has been replaced with a standard message: "The
> description for Event ID ( 13512 ) in Source ( NtFrs ) cannot be
> found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
> computer. "
>
> There is likely a KB somewhere on repairing a corrupted event log; I
> can try to locate one in the morning unless you beat me to it.
>
> In my previous message I pasted the actual FRS event log messages that
> correspond to the IDs 13512, 13568, and 13501. 13568 is indeed a
> journal wrap and should be addressed if you have multiple DCs;
> however, it looks like you have only 1 DC so FRS isn't replicating
> SYSVOL (unless you are using FRS with DFS).

I found a KB that talks about the AUXSOURCE flag that the event text is
referring to:

Detailed Usage of the Event Viewer /AUXSOURCE Switch Option ID: 312216 at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312216

This might explain why you are seeing the "placeholder" event messages
instead of the real event messages.

> Thank you very much Jill - I'll try and look up the KB. thanks again!
>
> Michael
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > Something has corrupted the FRS event log on server DOMAIN. As a
> > result, the text that normally appears in the FRS events you listed is
> > missing and has been replaced with a standard message: "The
> > description for Event ID ( 13512 ) in Source ( NtFrs ) cannot be
> > found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> > information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
> > computer. "
> >
> > There is likely a KB somewhere on repairing a corrupted event log; I
> > can try to locate one in the morning unless you beat me to it.
> >
> > In my previous message I pasted the actual FRS event log messages that
> > correspond to the IDs 13512, 13568, and 13501. 13568 is indeed a
> > journal wrap and should be addressed if you have multiple DCs;
> > however, it looks like you have only 1 DC so FRS isn't replicating
> > SYSVOL (unless you are using FRS with DFS).

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for all your help Jill! I was able to solve the problem this
morning:

After I performed a chkdsk to fix errors, chkdsk truncated the bad USN
Journal entries. Then upon logging on, the event viewer log entries gave
detailed descriptions showing a Journal Wrap, SYSVOL errors, etc. instead
of the "AUXSOURCE" ones. I then performed a Journal Wrap Restore by
editing the registry (I had to add the DWORD entry, set it to 1 (I reset
it to 0 after the restore), did a net stop ntfrs and then a net start
ntfrs, after which the SYSVOL was recreated and the Journal Wrap fixed. I
now have no bad entries in my FRS log and everything appears to be
running fine. Again, thanks!

Michael

> I found a KB that talks about the AUXSOURCE flag that the event text is
> referring to:
>

> Detailed Usage of the Event Viewer /AUXSOURCE Switch Option ID: 312216
at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312216
>
> This might explain why you are seeing the "placeholder" event messages
> instead of the real event messages.

TRENDING THREADS