Windows XP SP2 -- SMB Access To

While attempting to map a drive letter to the C: drive on a network-connected
Windows XP SP2 system, a dialog box opens with a grayed-out Guest account on
the XP system as the user who is requesting access and a place for me to type
in the password of the Guest. The requesting computer is running Windows
2003 Server. Since I'm in charge of both computers, I can say without
reservation that I did not configure a usable Guest account on the XP system
nor did I want to be restricted to logging in using that account as Windows
2003 Server insists that I do. This inconveniently denies access to any
share on the XP SP2 system. Group Policy is at default settings. What is
going on?
--
William McIlroy
Director of Computing Laboratory

Hi - this question really belongs in an XP group, as the issue is on the
'host', not 'client' computer.

Is the XP2 firewall disabled entirely? Is simple file sharing disabled on it
as well (should be)?