Cannot access my D drive

lucas

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2004

I have 1 HDD with Windows 2000 Professinal with 2 partitions. C drive
as OS and D drive for Data.
Both partitions are formatted in NTFS. Now I cannot access the D drive
anymore, when I look in the Disk Management, I see the D drive, but
the label is disappear and he cannot find which filesystem is on the D
drive.

The big problem is that all my data is on this drive. Can someone help
me please.

Thx in advanced

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Have you made any changes ?

you try a chkdsk /f on the drive and view the report.
rgds
Steve

"Lucas" <lvm@sintlucas.be> wrote in message
> I have 1 HDD with Windows 2000 Professinal with 2 partitions. C drive
> as OS and D drive for Data.
> Both partitions are formatted in NTFS. Now I cannot access the D drive
> anymore, when I look in the Disk Management, I see the D drive, but
> the label is disappear and he cannot find which filesystem is on the D
> drive.
>
> The big problem is that all my data is on this drive. Can someone help
> me please.
>
> Thx in advanced

dl

Disk Management allows you to allocate a drive letter

"Steve" <s.simpson_no1spam@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Have you made any changes ?
>
> you try a chkdsk /f on the drive and view the report.
> rgds
> Steve
>

> "Lucas" <lvm@sintlucas.be> wrote in message
> > I have 1 HDD with Windows 2000 Professinal with 2 partitions. C drive
> > as OS and D drive for Data.
> > Both partitions are formatted in NTFS. Now I cannot access the D drive
> > anymore, when I look in the Disk Management, I see the D drive, but
> > the label is disappear and he cannot find which filesystem is on the D
> > drive.
> >
> > The big problem is that all my data is on this drive. Can someone help
> > me please.
> >
> > Thx in advanced

NO!!

> you try a chkdsk /f on the drive and view the report.

The /f switch causes Chkdsk to "Fix errors on the disk". So does the /r
switch, which "implies /F"). So long as Chkdsk correctly diagnoses the
problem, this is good. But Chkdsk is not perfect and sometimes its
diagnosis is wrong. In those cases, it "fixes" the non-existent problem so
well that nothing can undo the fix and restore the volume to good health.
:>(

To see all the switches available with Chkdsk, open a "DOS" window and type
Chkdsk /?. As with any of the commands in the "DOS" window, you will see a
mini-Help file listing the available parameters and telling what each one
does.

If you type Chkdsk with NO parameters, it will tell you it is "Running
CHKDSK in read-only mode". It will do the check and display a report, but
will not write anything to the disk. Then you can decide how best to deal
with any problems reported. If you think it is necessary and safe, THEN you
can run Chkdsk again with the /f or /r switch.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX