]Loong]..Cleaning up volumes/drives

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

My plan:

Task 1 :

Hd0 with Win2k in the primary/first partition (the second partition
full), the remainder not partitioned, about 2 gig free, there.
Hd1 with Win 2k in the Primary/first partition, the next one is full but
I have much space in the rest of the drive.

Initially I tried to use Partition Magic to resizize the partitions and
create more space in the system/primary partitions.

It glitched in the process and my tells me my LBA geomotry doesn't match
the chs...I could "fix" it but all seems to be well and I have heard I
may cause more problems than not by tampering with what I have...

So, I still wish to increase the space in the primary partitions!

What if I?:

Move data from the partitions (D:\ and G:\)"behind" the system
partitions...I could "empty them. Yes, I will have free space in the
adjacent "volumes". The question is (sorry for the suspense)...

If I "eliminate" (D:\ G:\) via Disk Manager (Partition Magic will not
function unless I address its disk geometry) do they (the volumes I
"delete) become a part of C:\ and F:\ or do they become part of D:\ and
H:\? Will I end up "adding to the primary volume? When one elimininates
a volume does it become part of the PREceeding or SICeeding volume?

Next-----> Further, my boot sector(C:\) is a mess (with several
operating systems and loaders having been there) over the years.(Several
utilities "see" different MBR'S there! (I Diskmapped it and I think it
is rather huge---)

I would like to clean hd0 up (FixMBR and FixBoot doesn't do that).
But!--I could move all the data from hd0 to hd1 (while using W2k
from/while in hd1), re-partition and reformat hd0. (wiping out all
MBR's, but the data will be safe on hd1)

However, my next move concerns me...

!!!!!I can "restore" the data to hd0, but will the system boot?

Yes, I'm sure I can boot from the CD and perform a complicated repair
(I've had to do what amounted to re-"installs" before) of the systems.
I'd prefer not?

Is their a simpler way to clean up Hd0 without the time/effort
(possibly) resorting to risking loss of W2k when it returns to the drive
after being parked on hd1 during the process.

Two problems---slightly related...

Thanks, now attack!

Michael
9 answers Last reply
More about loong cleaning volumes drives
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    It appears that you have win2k installed on hd0 and hd1, for what reason?
    Unless there is some specific reason for this, move data from hd0 to hd1
    Boot from win2k cd, and perform a clean install on hd0 C?
    Reinstall apps and move data back to hd0
    Then move data from hd1 and format/partion hd1 as required.
    Most apps allow data to be placed on a different hd/partition than the app.
    eg I have win on a seperate partition to Office, with the data files on a
    different hd.

    "Michael" <G-2@att.net> wrote in message
    > My plan:
    >
    > Task 1 :
    >
    > Hd0 with Win2k in the primary/first partition (the second partition
    > full), the remainder not partitioned, about 2 gig free, there.
    > Hd1 with Win 2k in the Primary/first partition, the next one is full but
    > I have much space in the rest of the drive.
    >
    > Initially I tried to use Partition Magic to resizize the partitions and
    > create more space in the system/primary partitions.
    >
    > It glitched in the process and my tells me my LBA geomotry doesn't match
    > the chs...I could "fix" it but all seems to be well and I have heard I
    > may cause more problems than not by tampering with what I have...
    >
    > So, I still wish to increase the space in the primary partitions!
    >
    > What if I?:
    >
    > Move data from the partitions (D:\ and G:\)"behind" the system
    > partitions...I could "empty them. Yes, I will have free space in the
    > adjacent "volumes". The question is (sorry for the suspense)...
    >
    > If I "eliminate" (D:\ G:\) via Disk Manager (Partition Magic will not
    > function unless I address its disk geometry) do they (the volumes I
    > "delete) become a part of C:\ and F:\ or do they become part of D:\ and
    > H:\? Will I end up "adding to the primary volume? When one elimininates
    > a volume does it become part of the PREceeding or SICeeding volume?
    >
    > Next-----> Further, my boot sector(C:\) is a mess (with several
    > operating systems and loaders having been there) over the years.(Several
    > utilities "see" different MBR'S there! (I Diskmapped it and I think it
    > is rather huge---)
    >
    > I would like to clean hd0 up (FixMBR and FixBoot doesn't do that).
    > But!--I could move all the data from hd0 to hd1 (while using W2k
    > from/while in hd1), re-partition and reformat hd0. (wiping out all
    > MBR's, but the data will be safe on hd1)
    >
    > However, my next move concerns me...
    >
    > !!!!!I can "restore" the data to hd0, but will the system boot?
    >
    > Yes, I'm sure I can boot from the CD and perform a complicated repair
    > (I've had to do what amounted to re-"installs" before) of the systems.
    > I'd prefer not?
    >
    > Is their a simpler way to clean up Hd0 without the time/effort
    > (possibly) resorting to risking loss of W2k when it returns to the drive
    > after being parked on hd1 during the process.
    >
    > Two problems---slightly related...
    >
    > Thanks, now attack!
    >
    > Michael

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On 8/18/2004 3:52 AM, DL wrote:
    > It appears that you have win2k installed on hd0 and hd1, for what reason?
    > Unless there is some specific reason for this, move data from hd0 to hd1
    > Boot from win2k cd, and perform a clean install on hd0 C?
    > Reinstall apps and move data back to hd0
    > Then move data from hd1 and format/partion hd1 as required.
    > Most apps allow data to be placed on a different hd/partition than the app.
    > eg I have win on a seperate partition to Office, with the data files on a
    > different hd.

    [snipped my original note]

    Thanks for your suggestion but I believe I have accounted for that
    option and came here for an alternative.

    I have had a two os's forever. It has saved my butt many times. I have
    never gotten as much relief from a gig of space. But that's another
    story...and not relevent to my goal.

    Yes, I anticipated your solution...I was hoping to avoid a clean
    install. ----I can move and park each of the os's, but I can't move
    *all* of the data from hd0 to hd1.

    Thus, my remaining query remains:
    1. By reformating the primary partition on hd0, will I have to
    re-install Wdk as primary intention is to wipe out the multiple MBR(s).
    I'm sure I won't be able to directly boot into it, but I do have a boot
    disk that should allow me to get to get to the console in hd1 and hope
    that FIXMBR and FIXBOOT will allow a normal entry to the OS on hd0.

    2. I suppose I'll find the answer to question 2 elsewhere as no one
    seems to know:----> It is not clear what happens to other partitions if
    one volume is deleted via disk manager. Does the "space" morph into the
    volume ahead of it or behind it or does it remain an unformatted block?

    Again, (simple) two goals: Reformat primary hd0 and have a minimal
    recovery after I restore the back-up of W2k (ie, not re-install--simply
    restore the back-up)

    ---and (on hd1) create MORE space in the primary by (I hope) clearing
    out and deleting the volume behind it and combining it with the primary
    on hd1.

    As of now, because Partition Magic screwed up the geometry on hd1 it
    won't even recognize ANY partitions. It suggests I format the entire
    drive (which appears healthy based on several other diagnostic tools.)
    All advice suggest I ignore PM's evaluation....and move on!

    Thus, I am looking to do this via the OS' disk manager--PM has failed me
    before and I'm a bit leary of Ranish as they document the danger of
    using their app following a PM screw-up. I'm open to any other partition
    re-sizing solution.

    P.S My data is already seperate from the apps.

    A final query...I notice on the older OS I have a giant (80 meg) "driver
    cache." Why, what is it and is there a reason to have duplicate .dll
    files in that folder -- they are newer but I don't have a similar
    situation in the newer os on HD0. Seems like a waste that can be managed?

    Same with the "shell cache---what 'n' why?

    Again, thanks...
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    I believe you need to rethink yr options.
    You cannot amend a partition size without either
    Deleting partitions using win2k cd
    or using a third party tool, eg PM
    The win2k cd is bootable and will thus allow access for a repair
    1) if I understand correctly; Formatting primary partition will require a
    reinstall of Win
    It depends how you 'backed up' win as to whether you can recover the
    'backup'
    I have allways found PM stable so if it has failed on yr sys it does'nt bode
    well for yr sys.
    Why cannot you move data?

> [...]
    > won't even recognize ANY partitions. It suggests I format the entire
    > drive (which appears healthy based on several other diagnostic tools.)
    > All advice suggest I ignore PM's evaluation....and move on!
    >
    > Thus, I am looking to do this via the OS' disk manager--PM has failed me
    > before and I'm a bit leary of Ranish as they document the danger of
    > using their app following a PM screw-up. I'm open to any other partition
    > re-sizing solution.
    >
    > P.S My data is already seperate from the apps.
    >
    > A final query...I notice on the older OS I have a giant (80 meg) "driver
    > cache." Why, what is it and is there a reason to have duplicate .dll
    > files in that folder -- they are newer but I don't have a similar
    > situation in the newer os on HD0. Seems like a waste that can be managed?
    >
    > Same with the "shell cache---what 'n' why?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On 8/18/2004 12:51 PM, DL wrote:
    > I believe you need to rethink yr options.
    > You cannot amend a partition size without either
    > Deleting partitions using win2k cd
    > or using a third party tool, eg PM
    > The win2k cd is bootable and will thus allow access for a repair
    > 1) if I understand correctly; Formatting primary partition will require a
    > reinstall of Win
    > It depends how you 'backed up' win as to whether you can recover the
    > 'backup'
    > I have allways found PM stable so if it has failed on yr sys it does'nt bode
    > well for yr sys.
    > Why cannot you move data?

    Yes, Disk Management seems
    rather limited.

    I was hoping --See below:

    hd1
    |F;\|G:\|H:|------>More partitions...

    If I emptied out and deleted G:\? Would\could W2k merge
    the vacant space with F:\..?
    That is, in Disk Management, what happens
    to the primary partition if the first/next logical volume is deleted?
    Nuttin'...eh?

    As far as third party software? Well. the first step in increasing the size
    of a primay partition requires creating space in the adjacent volume.
    I'm ready for that----G:\ will now give up space (albeit w/third-party
    software) to F:\

    I'd hoped that if I eliminated the next volume (G:\) via Disk Management,
    the primary partition would either pick up the slack on its own. So,
    yes, it appears third party software will have to manage the
    expansion of the primary partition.

    As for part two? Think again?
    Yes, the plan was to do a full backup of C:\. (I'd be in
    win2k from drive two), at that stage--I've done this part before.

    I'd park it on hd1.
    Still in W2k, I would re-format C:\ *with* a single Fat32 MBR.
    (The goal for this is to clean out
    the multiple MBR's that reside in that sector.)

    So? Why can't I simply replace (restore) W2k back to C:\?

    Why is an install necessary?

    All the boot files are there...the MBR is there.
    Why would it *not* re-boot?
    Jeeze! I'm simply *replacing* the contents of a partion into its old
    home---the only diff is that there is a single MBR there.
    So, at BIOS--> POST----->1MBR
    Then, same ole ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com and the same
    EVERYTHING all drives--including both OS's!
    And you say it won't re-boot without a re-install?

    Exactly what is happening (or not) which requires an
    install? Hell, I've had a completely corrupeted registry and
    the most I had to do was use the back-ups in repair.
    I really don't believe W2k will *know* what happened while
    it was parked elsewhere...
    It should be right at home upon its return!

> [...]
    >>won't even recognize ANY partitions. It suggests I format the entire
    >>drive (which appears healthy based on several other diagnostic tools.)
    >>All advice suggest I ignore PM's evaluation....and move on!
    >>
    >>Thus, I am looking to do this via the OS' disk manager--PM has failed me
    >>before and I'm a bit leary of Ranish as they document the danger of
    >>using their app following a PM screw-up. I'm open to any other partition
    >>re-sizing solution.
    >>
    >>P.S My data is already seperate from the apps.
    >>
    >>A final query...I notice on the older OS I have a giant (80 meg) "driver
    >>cache." Why, what is it and is there a reason to have duplicate .dll
    >>files in that folder -- they are newer but I don't have a similar
    >>situation in the newer os on HD0. Seems like a waste that can be managed?
    >>
    >>Same with the "shell cache---what 'n' why?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Personally I think yr making life awkward for yourself, two o/s,fat32 etc
    I mean do you update both o/s?
    I've run win2k sys 24/7 for some yrs, have yet to have a non recoverable
    software crash, have had two hd's fail but never lost data. When
    reinstalling after a hd failure, yes its a pain/takes time but at least you
    get rid of the junk.

> [...]
    > >>won't even recognize ANY partitions. It suggests I format the entire
    > >>drive (which appears healthy based on several other diagnostic tools.)
    > >>All advice suggest I ignore PM's evaluation....and move on!
    > >>
    > >>Thus, I am looking to do this via the OS' disk manager--PM has failed me
    > >>before and I'm a bit leary of Ranish as they document the danger of
    > >>using their app following a PM screw-up. I'm open to any other partition
    > >>re-sizing solution.
    > >>
    > >>P.S My data is already seperate from the apps.
    > >>
    > >>A final query...I notice on the older OS I have a giant (80 meg) "driver
    > >>cache." Why, what is it and is there a reason to have duplicate .dll
    > >>files in that folder -- they are newer but I don't have a similar
    > >>situation in the newer os on HD0. Seems like a waste that can be
    managed?

    > >>Same with the "shell cache---what 'n' why?

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi, Michael.

    After reading (most of) the thread thus far, I have a few comments. But
    first, a few caveats: My experience is only with "basic" volumes; I know
    nothing of "dynamic drives". I've used only Microsoft's system for
    dual-booting; I have no experience with third-party boot managers. And I
    haven't used Win2K since WinXP arrived in October 2001, so if I sometimes
    refer to WinXP instead of Win2K, that's why.

    First, deleting any partition does NOT automatically add its space to any
    other partition. Ditto deleting any logical drive in the extended
    partition. Deleting any volume makes its space available, and one or more
    new volumes can be created in the freed space. Or, in some situations, the
    freed space can be added to the preceding contiguous volume. For details
    about this, search the Help and Support Center for the word "extend" and
    (very carefully!) read about DiskPart /extend. (This is DiskPart.exe, run
    from inside Win2K/XP; it is NOT the same as the DiskPart command in the
    Recovery Console.)

    Note that there are many roadblocks to using DiskPart /extend: can't be
    used for the current system or boot volumes, volume must be NTFS, etc.
    Click Related Topics for more details.

    Second, many of us dual-boot. I've dual-booted since Win95 and WinNT4,
    including dual-booting multiple installations of Win2K and of WinXP, using 2
    or 3 HDs. The basic pattern of dual-booting is a "Y", where the base of the
    "Y" is always in Drive C:. (Well, not always C:, but always the "system
    partition", which is the first partition on the first physical HD, which
    must be a primary partition and Active (bootable); this is not always C:,
    but typically it is.) After starting in the system partition, the Windows
    loader progresses up to the fork of the "Y" and will load whichever OS the
    user selects from the menu, using the pointers in C:\boot.ini. (The "Y" can
    have more than two branches in the fork.)

    Third, Disk Management can do a lot of things, but there are some things it
    cannot do. It cannot do much with the current System or Boot volumes. It
    cannot resize a volume, either up or down. It cannot move a volume. To do
    these things, you have two choices:
    1. Invest your time: backup; repartition; reformat; restore, or
    2. Invest your money: use a third-party program, such as Partition Magic.

    Fourth, in one message, you said:
    > 1. By reformating the primary partition on hd0, will I have to
    re-install Wdk as primary intention is to wipe out the multiple MBR(s).
    I'm sure I won't be able to directly boot into it, but I do have a boot
    disk that should allow me to get to get to the console in hd1 and hope
    that FIXMBR and FIXBOOT will allow a normal entry to the OS on hd0.

    You need to read some good references on disks and file systems. Most of
    the information is in the Help file reached from Disk Management, but the
    Win2K and WinXP Resource Kits have it in more readable form. And there is
    no shortage of good reference books on the market. You can read the RKs
    online by starting at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/default.asp

    We do not format hard disk drives. We create volumes (primary partitions
    and logical drives in the extended partition) on the hard disk and format
    each of those volumes. Each physical HDD has an MBR that deals with that
    whole hard disk, not with the individual volumes. The MBR is not affected
    at all by reformatting, except for the single byte in the Partition Table
    that tells how that partition is formatted. Each volume on the HD has its
    own boot sector, and this is rewritten when the volume is reformatted. So,
    on your HDD-0 there is one MBR, plus a boot sector for each volume on that
    HD. There is another MBR on HDD-1, plus boot sectors for the volumes on
    that disk.

    > Next-----> Further, my boot sector(C:\) is a mess (with several operating
    > systems and loaders having been there) over the years.(Several utilities
    > "see" different MBR'S there! (I Diskmapped it and I think it is rather
    > huge---)

    As you can see from the help files and RKs, this is garbage! The MBR and
    boot sector are only a single sector each: 512 bytes. Never more, never
    less. And the boot sector is completely rewritten each time, never amended.

    Because of all this, I like to create a small primary partition at the front
    of my first HDD, format it FAT for maximum compatibility, and use it as my
    "system partition". That is, it has only the "system files": NTLDR,
    NTDETECT.COM and Boot.ini. I don't install any Windows here. I create an
    extended partition covering the rest of the HDD, and create logical drives
    within that partition. The first logical drive (D:, usually) is where I
    install Windows. Since I can install Win2K/XP on just about any volume on
    any physical drive in the computer, I install a second Win2K or WinXP on a
    logical drive in the extended partition on my second HDD. This way, in
    addition to the usual ability to boot into the second Windows to repair the
    first, I also have insurance in case my first HD becomes unreadable for any
    reason. If I have to, or want to, I can boot into X: (wherever that is)
    from a Win2K/XP boot floppy, which contains nothing but the NT-style boot
    sector and system files. (Or from the small system partition I've created
    on the second HD.) I can reformat D: without affecting E: or X: - or C:,
    the system partition. Maybe some variation of my scheme will fit you.

    Well, this message could go on and on, but it's too long already. If you
    have further questions, please post back. But, please read some good disk
    and file system reference materials first.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Michael" <G-2@att.net> wrote in message
    > My plan:
    >
    > Task 1 :
    >
    > Hd0 with Win2k in the primary/first partition (the second partition full),
    > the remainder not partitioned, about 2 gig free, there.
    > Hd1 with Win 2k in the Primary/first partition, the next one is full but I
    > have much space in the rest of the drive.
    >
    > Initially I tried to use Partition Magic to resizize the partitions and
    > create more space in the system/primary partitions.
    >
    > It glitched in the process and my tells me my LBA geomotry doesn't match
    > the chs...I could "fix" it but all seems to be well and I have heard I may
    > cause more problems than not by tampering with what I have...
    >
    > So, I still wish to increase the space in the primary partitions!
    >
    > What if I?:
    >
    > Move data from the partitions (D:\ and G:\)"behind" the system
    > partitions...I could "empty them. Yes, I will have free space in the
    > adjacent "volumes". The question is (sorry for the suspense)...
    >
    > If I "eliminate" (D:\ G:\) via Disk Manager (Partition Magic will not
    > function unless I address its disk geometry) do they (the volumes I
    > "delete) become a part of C:\ and F:\ or do they become part of D:\ and
    > H:\? Will I end up "adding to the primary volume? When one elimininates a
    > volume does it become part of the PREceeding or SICeeding volume?
    >
    > Next-----> Further, my boot sector(C:\) is a mess (with several operating
    > systems and loaders having been there) over the years.(Several utilities
    > "see" different MBR'S there! (I Diskmapped it and I think it is rather
    > huge---)
    >
    > I would like to clean hd0 up (FixMBR and FixBoot doesn't do that). But!--I
    > could move all the data from hd0 to hd1 (while using W2k from/while in
    > hd1), re-partition and reformat hd0. (wiping out all MBR's, but the data
    > will be safe on hd1)
    >
    > However, my next move concerns me...
    >
    > !!!!!I can "restore" the data to hd0, but will the system boot?
    >
    > Yes, I'm sure I can boot from the CD and perform a complicated repair
    > (I've had to do what amounted to re-"installs" before) of the systems. I'd
    > prefer not?
    >
    > Is their a simpler way to clean up Hd0 without the time/effort (possibly)
    > resorting to risking loss of W2k when it returns to the drive after being
    > parked on hd1 during the process.
    >
    > Two problems---slightly related...
    >
    > Thanks, now attack!
    >
    > Michael
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On 8/18/2004 7:53 PM, DL wrote:
    > Personally I think yr making life awkward for yourself, two o/s,fat32 etc
    > I mean do you update both o/s?
    > I've run win2k sys 24/7 for some yrs, have yet to have a non recoverable
    > software crash, have had two hd's fail but never lost data. When
    > reinstalling after a hd failure, yes its a pain/takes time but at least you
    > get rid of the junk.

    Um, you really haven't addressed my concerns?

    "Two os's" is a straw man here. It has *nothing* at all to do with my
    two goals:

    1. Increasing the size of a primary partition.
    2. Reformatting a partition and replacing the OS in that partition.

    #2 I can deal with. I don't believe it will require a complete
    re-install. Perhaps a longer repair, but I will keep all settings after
    the backed-up OS returns to the partition. (I'm not convinced it will
    need much work at all)

    Face it, you don't propose the best argument for backing-up! Most people
    don't back-up with the intention of a re-install as part of the bargain...

    As for #1?

    I'll get it done. My question was limited to the viabiltiy of Disk
    Management to do anything more than format/create/delete partitions.
    Seems as though MS could include something more to manage drives---as it
    exists as freeware.

    As for Fat32? Perhaps it's my impression, but as I scan the groups I see
    it as more trouble than it's worth.

    Again, another strawman as NTFS/Fat32 has *nothing* to do with my two
    goals above.

    Loyalty to MS is great and expected in these groups. However, one need
    not be dogmatic to the point of ignoring one's dilemma.

    Hey, I have two problems---removing an OS won't solve them, nor will
    switching to NTFS.

    Thanks though. No one else has a clue!

> [...]
    >>the multiple MBR's that reside in that sector.)
    >>
    >>So? Why can't I simply replace (restore) W2k back to C:\?
    >>
    >>Why is an install necessary?
    >>
    >>All the boot files are there...the MBR is there.
    >>Why would it *not* re-boot?
    >>Jeeze! I'm simply *replacing* the contents of a partion into its old
    >>home---the only diff is that there is a single MBR there.
    >>So, at BIOS--> POST----->1MBR
    >>Then, same ole ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com and the same
    >>EVERYTHING all drives--including both OS's!
    >>And you say it won't re-boot without a re-install?
    >>
    >>Exactly what is happening (or not) which requires an
    >>install? Hell, I've had a completely corrupeted registry and
    >>the most I had to do was use the back-ups in repair.
    >>I really don't believe W2k will *know* what happened while
    >>it was parked elsewhere...
    >>It should be right at home upon its return!

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    I was'nt meaning to be difficult/awkward
    The inbuilt disk management doesnt allow for ammending partition size. This
    can only be accomplished using a third party tool.
    If PM has failed it 'may' be an indication of underlying disk problem.
    You can format a partition and reinstall a win backup
    My ref. to backup was only in regard you having two o/s installs, which if
    yr happy with is up to you.

> [...]
    > >>the multiple MBR's that reside in that sector.)
    > >>
    > >>So? Why can't I simply replace (restore) W2k back to C:\?
    > >>
    > >>Why is an install necessary?
    > >>
    > >>All the boot files are there...the MBR is there.
    > >>Why would it *not* re-boot?
    > >>Jeeze! I'm simply *replacing* the contents of a partion into its old
    > >>home---the only diff is that there is a single MBR there.
    > >>So, at BIOS--> POST----->1MBR
    > >>Then, same ole ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com and the same
    > >>EVERYTHING all drives--including both OS's!
    > >>And you say it won't re-boot without a re-install?
    > >>
    > >>Exactly what is happening (or not) which requires an
    > >>install? Hell, I've had a completely corrupeted registry and
    > >>the most I had to do was use the back-ups in repair.
    > >>I really don't believe W2k will *know* what happened while
    > >>it was parked elsewhere...
    > >>It should be right at home upon its return!

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On 8/19/2004 11:31 AM, DL wrote:

    > I was'nt meaning to be difficult/awkward
    > The inbuilt disk management doesnt allow for ammending partition
    size. This
    > can only be accomplished using a third party tool.
    > If PM has failed it 'may' be an indication of underlying disk problem.
    > You can format a partition and reinstall a win backup
    > My ref. to backup was only in regard you having two o/s installs,
    which if
    > yr happy with is up to you.

    Hey, I'm tough. Google me and you'll see I met worse on Usenet!

    Actualy the disk is sound. You do know that LBA disks ignore CHS values.
    I don't have a clue why PM finds them so valuable.

    I'm considering the suggestion (here, by r.c. w to have a small primary
    FAT. I could have Dos and the nt boot/start files there plus, I would
    never have to worry about the limitations a primary partition has. I'll
    just have it in a logical partition which is easier to manage/manipulate.

    I wish MS was more forthcoming about the options in installing W2k. Not
    only do they make it reflexive to go with NTFS (I avoided that)...but
    they totally ignore the potential to run DOS. If the other poster is
    corrrect---it would be nice to have the boot/start files for W2k in a
    tiny Fat partition (w/Dos.

    Say it's so!

    Michael

Partition Microsoft Windows