Can't connect to FTP server

coach

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004

Good morning.

I have Windows 2000 Professional on my home computer and
it has all the latest critical updates, recommended
updates and driver updates.
I installed the FTP service component and set up a folder
on the computer as my FTP home folder. I have assigned
the appropriate rights to that folder.
For my FTP configuration in the "properties" window, I
have the following settings...
FTP Site Tab: IP Addresses is set to "all unassigned"
Security Accounts Tab: Allow anonymous connections &
Allow IIS to control password options are checked.
Home Directory Tab: I have specified the new folder I
had created.
When I connect to the FTP site from the computer that
houses the FTP component then I can connect (I use the
address ftp://ip address of my computer).
I have an ADSL connection where my computer is connected
to the ADSL modem. I do not have a router and I do not
have a firewall. My anti virus software does have a
firewall feature which is turned off.
When I try to connect remotely, I get a message saying
that "Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you
typed the file name correctly and that you have the
permission to access the folder. Details: The operation
timed out".
I have set up the permissions on the folder and I should
get to a screen that asks for a username & password but I
can't even get to that.
I tried pinging the IP address of my computer but it
times out.

This is all the information I could possibly think of
providing but let me know if you need more information.

Jack

Coach wrote:
> Good morning.
>
> I have Windows 2000 Professional on my home computer and
> it has all the latest critical updates, recommended
> updates and driver updates.
> I installed the FTP service component and set up a folder
> on the computer as my FTP home folder. I have assigned
> the appropriate rights to that folder.
> For my FTP configuration in the "properties" window, I
> have the following settings...
> FTP Site Tab: IP Addresses is set to "all unassigned"
> Security Accounts Tab: Allow anonymous connections &
> Allow IIS to control password options are checked.
> Home Directory Tab: I have specified the new folder I
> had created.
> When I connect to the FTP site from the computer that
> houses the FTP component then I can connect (I use the
> address ftp://ip address of my computer).
> I have an ADSL connection where my computer is connected
> to the ADSL modem. I do not have a router and I do not
> have a firewall.

Well, note that a modem is a router. And you *need* a firewall - even if you
punch a coupla holes in it for inbound access.

> My anti virus software does have a
> firewall feature which is turned off.
> When I try to connect remotely, I get a message saying
> that "Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you
> typed the file name correctly and that you have the
> permission to access the folder. Details: The operation
> timed out".
> I have set up the permissions on the folder and I should
> get to a screen that asks for a username & password but I
> can't even get to that.
> I tried pinging the IP address of my computer but it
> times out.

Does it work from another computer on your home network? Does your DSL modem
do NAT? You'll need to open up port 20 (TCP and UDP) inbound... and connect
using your *public* IP....