HELP: Upgrade path dilemma

Alright so here's my problem... I'm running a decent rig right now but it's nearing upgrade time. I've got the following base components:

Socket 939
DDR Ram
PCIe Video Card

Right now I'm running a 3200+ OC'd to 2.66GHz... With DX10 and Vista right around the corner I want to make the jump to dual core architecture... I just can't decide if I should drop all my exiting components and jump on a Core2 proc, with DDR2 ram, and go with the first DX10 card that comes out... Or should I stick with my 939 and grab a decent X2 proc keeping the ram and mobo, and then just going big on the video card?

I'm really leaning towards keeping my existing mobo and ram... But Core2 really pwns everything that's out there right now... But with prices on the AMDs down now a new X2 might be more cost effective... Another huge thing that I'm considering is that the DDR2 architecture just doesn't seem to be a huge jump over what DDR offers right now... I don't think it really seems worth it...

Anyways, I'd appreciate any opinions and advice that anyone is willing to share. Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about help upgrade path dilemma
  1. Sooner or later u will have to upgrade ur mobo and ram. Buying a X2 would be a waste of money.

    Either go Conroe or wait for 4x4.
  2. Quote:
    Sooner or later u will have to upgrade ur mobo and ram. Buying a X2 would be a waste of money.

    Either go Conroe or wait for 4x4.


    Agree with that.Also, you didn't mention your budget...that might help somebody helping you
  3. Socket 939 and DDR are dead-end technology. You'll need socket 775 or AM2 and some DDR2 to form a solid upgrade path.

    I don't think that the reccommendation of 4x4 is at all a sensible one. 4x4 is designed to go into competition with Core 2 but costs at least twice as much for similar performance. Waste of time, and money.
  4. the system you have now is fine, no need to get all worked up cause core 2 is so good, just sit on what you have for now, then upgrade to either am2 or core 2 when prices have settled and products are actually in stock and good motherboards are available...
  5. Thanks for all the input... It looks like waiting it out might be my best option. If getting all new parts is my best option then definately I think it's a good idea to wait it out...
  6. 1 Word:

    DX10

    Wait for it. Then you should consider upgrades.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking