Error Message

I am a slow player and I am just now getting around to playing
Tribunal. I bought and installed the GOTY version of Morrowind and
Tribunal, but not Bloodmoon. The version number which shows on the
lower left-hand side of my screen says 1.3.1029.

My problem is that I am hunting goblins in the Old West Sewers and at
a certain point I am attacked by one Goblin Handler and one War-Draug.
I kill them and attempt to dispose of the bodies. I dispose of the
goblin, then click on the beast. As soon as I hit "dispose of corpse"
the game crashes with a message that Morrowind has encountered a
problem which it cannot handle and I am urged to send a message. I
have tried three times and the game always crashes at the exact same
spot.

Is this a known problem? I have never seen this message before.
Would installing Bloodmoon, with its attendant patches solve this
problem? Do I need to install the Tribunal patch too/instead? Is
there something else I need to do? I have been in sewers before,
cleaning out the Dark Brotherhood and didn't have this problem.
--
Nyctolops

Nyctolops wrote:
> I am a slow player and I am just now getting around to playing
> Tribunal. I bought and installed the GOTY version of Morrowind and
> Tribunal, but not Bloodmoon. The version number which shows on the
> lower left-hand side of my screen says 1.3.1029.
>
> My problem is that I am hunting goblins in the Old West Sewers and at
> a certain point I am attacked by one Goblin Handler and one War-Draug.
> I kill them and attempt to dispose of the bodies. I dispose of the
> goblin, then click on the beast. As soon as I hit "dispose of corpse"
> the game crashes with a message that Morrowind has encountered a
> problem which it cannot handle and I am urged to send a message. I
> have tried three times and the game always crashes at the exact same
> spot.
>
> Is this a known problem? I have never seen this message before.
> Would installing Bloodmoon, with its attendant patches solve this
> problem? Do I need to install the Tribunal patch too/instead? Is
> there something else I need to do? I have been in sewers before,
> cleaning out the Dark Brotherhood and didn't have this problem.
> --
> Nyctolops

Does this occur if you don't dispose of the bodies? Also, have you
tried a new save game to make sure that the old one isn't corrupted?

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 01:49:26 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
<_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Does this occur if you don't dispose of the bodies? Also, have you
>tried a new save game to make sure that the old one isn't corrupted?

I'm working from memory but I think the problem was when you DID try
to dispose of the bodies.

After 2 or 3 bouts of expleted deleteds I reloaded and carried on -
the crashes were AFTER you fulfilled the quest after all.

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:51:49 -0600, Nyctolops
<nyctolops@vla.nospam.com> wrote:

>>I'm working from memory but I think the problem was when you DID try
>>to dispose of the bodies.
>>
>>After 2 or 3 bouts of expleted deleteds I reloaded and carried on -
>>the crashes were AFTER you fulfilled the quest after all.
>
>I'll try not disposing of the bodies. I don't think the save is
>corrupted, because everything seems to work fine everywhere but the
>Old West Sewers.

I'm pretty sure it _was_ both reproducible AND consistent.

I don't remember the details but one of these guys was the head of the
Dark Brotherhood right?

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:47:17 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
<_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Nyctolops wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:51:49 -0600, Nyctolops
>> <nyctolops@vla.nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I'll try not disposing of the bodies. I don't think the save is
>>>corrupted, because everything seems to work fine everywhere but the
>>>Old West Sewers.
>>

>> That was it. I stopped disposing of bodies and everything worked
>> fine. Thanks for the advice.
>> --
>> Nyctolops
>

>I normally did not dispose of bodies as it was such a pain if they had
>anything on them. Unlike Thief your opponents are all blind and don't
>notice their dead brethren on the ground at their feet.

I only dispose of the bodies if I want all their stuff or if they
aren't carrying anything. I do dispose of all the ones I can, so they
aren't littering up the landscape. There are some you just can't
dispose of, like the cliffracers who fall into a rock with just their
heads or wings or tail sticking out.
--
Nyctolops

Nyctolops wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:47:17 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
> <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>

>>Nyctolops wrote:

>>>That was it. I stopped disposing of bodies and everything worked
>>>fine. Thanks for the advice.
>>>--
>>>Nyctolops
>>

>>I normally did not dispose of bodies as it was such a pain if they had
>>anything on them. Unlike Thief your opponents are all blind and don't
>>notice their dead brethren on the ground at their feet.
>

> I only dispose of the bodies if I want all their stuff or if they
> aren't carrying anything. I do dispose of all the ones I can, so they
> aren't littering up the landscape. There are some you just can't
> dispose of, like the cliffracers who fall into a rock with just their
> heads or wings or tail sticking out.
> --
> Nyctolops

It just got to be such a waste of time looking at each bandit or rat
that you killed to make sure that they had nothing before disposing of
the bodies. I agree that all the garbage littering the landscape was
ugly, but the performance hit was probably less than leaving piles of
rat meat and clothes laying there forever.
Morrowind needs a clean up crew to keep Vardenfell beautiful :)

Michael W. Ryder wrote:
> It just got to be such a waste of time looking at each bandit or rat
> that you killed to make sure that they had nothing before disposing of
> the bodies. I agree that all the garbage littering the landscape was
> ugly, but the performance hit was probably less than leaving piles of
> rat meat and clothes laying there forever.
> Morrowind needs a clean up crew to keep Vardenfell beautiful :)
good idea for a mod

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:57:11 -0600, Nyctolops
<nyctolops@vla.nospam.com> wrote:

>Nope. This is the quest to kill the Goblin Warlords and the two
>Altmer trainers that Helseth has hired to create a goblin army. I
>killed the head of the Dark Brotherhood some time ago and I didn't
>have any trouble disposing of Dark Brotherhood bodies. Come to think
>of it, I think I disposed of the first few goblins as well, but the
>War Druzogs really don't like to be disposed of. :)

I did that portion during my "Fortify 1000 pts for 3600 seconds
potions are WONDERFUL..." phase...so they weren't that hard at all.

Still, a War Durzog is a pussy compared to the werewolves in the final
dungeon of Bloodmoon particularly when you've got the "HARD" slider up
to max.

Still, as alchemical ingredients a War Durzog is a nice beast to
kill...:)

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:47:54 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
<_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>It just got to be such a waste of time looking at each bandit or rat
>that you killed to make sure that they had nothing before disposing of
>the bodies. I agree that all the garbage littering the landscape was
>ugly, but the performance hit was probably less than leaving piles of
>rat meat and clothes laying there forever.
>Morrowind needs a clean up crew to keep Vardenfell beautiful :)

They do disappear automatically in a week or two of game time - but
that's normally long after you've finished with the area, never to
return.

Greg Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:47:54 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
> <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>

>>It just got to be such a waste of time looking at each bandit or rat
>>that you killed to make sure that they had nothing before disposing of
>>the bodies. I agree that all the garbage littering the landscape was
>>ugly, but the performance hit was probably less than leaving piles of
>>rat meat and clothes laying there forever.
>>Morrowind needs a clean up crew to keep Vardenfell beautiful :)
>

> They do disappear automatically in a week or two of game time - but
> that's normally long after you've finished with the area, never to
> return.

The corpses disappear, but if you strip the corpses and leave the items
on the ground, they stay there forever. Why a rat would "decompose" but
a piece of rat meat becomes like a Twinkie I never did figure out. The
same for a bandit disappearing along with the clothes, weapons, jewelry,
and gold.