File Security

lee

A virus has created direcories and placed files on my computer and set the
NTFS security on them so that only the SYSTEM account complete rights.
Therefore I cannot remove these files, how can I get around this?

ME

are you sure it's a virus? i've never heard of a virus changing the acl on
files
assuming you are an administrator, have you tried to take ownership of the
files?

"Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A virus has created direcories and placed files on my computer and set the
> NTFS security on them so that only the SYSTEM account complete rights.
> Therefore I cannot remove these files, how can I get around this?

lee

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a virus. My virus protection software catches the
actual Virus exe, but it has installed supporting files and directories;
these are the files that have the security set so that I cannot delete them.
They security has been set so that only the administrators can see and read
the files, not even change security. Therefore I cannot do anything with
these files. How would I take ownership of the files?

ME

properties -> security -> advanced -> ownership