Sharing USB Hard Drive

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 18, 2004 3:01:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Repost: Thought I had this problem solved but it seems to be intermittient.
I need it to work consistently!

I want to use external USB drives to backup a SQL Server database to, then
disconnect the drive for an offsite backup. The USB drives will be connected
to the workstations of three users; thus each will have the capability of
doing the offsite backup. The drives need to be shared in order for SQL
Server to backup to them. Here's my problem: every time I reconnect the
drive, all of the sharing info that existed before it was disconnected is
lost. Any suggestions? TIA!

More about : sharing usb hard drive

Anonymous
August 18, 2004 9:13:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Yeah - don't use removable drives as network shares. You're asking for
trouble.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] rgharper@email.com

"Ron Hinds" <__NoSpam@__NoSpamramac.com> wrote in message
> Repost: Thought I had this problem solved but it seems to be
> intermittient.
> I need it to work consistently!
>
> I want to use external USB drives to backup a SQL Server database to, then
> disconnect the drive for an offsite backup. The USB drives will be
> connected
> to the workstations of three users; thus each will have the capability of
> doing the offsite backup. The drives need to be shared in order for SQL
> Server to backup to them. Here's my problem: every time I reconnect the
> drive, all of the sharing info that existed before it was disconnected is
> lost. Any suggestions? TIA!
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 6:47:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

What about using the "Mount in this NTFS folder" option? And sharing that
folder? Will that work?

> Yeah - don't use removable drives as network shares. You're asking for
> trouble.
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] rgharper@email.com
> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
>

> "Ron Hinds" <__NoSpam@__NoSpamramac.com> wrote in message
> > Repost: Thought I had this problem solved but it seems to be
> > intermittient.
> > I need it to work consistently!
> >
> > I want to use external USB drives to backup a SQL Server database to,
then
> > disconnect the drive for an offsite backup. The USB drives will be
> > connected
> > to the workstations of three users; thus each will have the capability
of
> > doing the offsite backup. The drives need to be shared in order for SQL
> > Server to backup to them. Here's my problem: every time I reconnect the
> > drive, all of the sharing info that existed before it was disconnected
is
> > lost. Any suggestions? TIA!

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 11:26:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Still potentially bad news. If you value your data, don't. Just don't.

--

news:o O93WcjhEHA.140@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...