Sharing USB Hard Drive

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Repost: Thought I had this problem solved but it seems to be intermittient.
I need it to work consistently!

I want to use external USB drives to backup a SQL Server database to, then
disconnect the drive for an offsite backup. The USB drives will be connected
to the workstations of three users; thus each will have the capability of
doing the offsite backup. The drives need to be shared in order for SQL
Server to backup to them. Here's my problem: every time I reconnect the
drive, all of the sharing info that existed before it was disconnected is
lost. Any suggestions? TIA!
3 answers Last reply
More about sharing hard drive
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Yeah - don't use removable drives as network shares. You're asking for
    trouble.

    --
    Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] rgharper@email.com

    "Ron Hinds" <__NoSpam@__NoSpamramac.com> wrote in message
    > Repost: Thought I had this problem solved but it seems to be
    > intermittient.
    > I need it to work consistently!
    >
    > I want to use external USB drives to backup a SQL Server database to, then
    > disconnect the drive for an offsite backup. The USB drives will be
    > connected
    > to the workstations of three users; thus each will have the capability of
    > doing the offsite backup. The drives need to be shared in order for SQL
    > Server to backup to them. Here's my problem: every time I reconnect the
    > drive, all of the sharing info that existed before it was disconnected is
    > lost. Any suggestions? TIA!
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    What about using the "Mount in this NTFS folder" option? And sharing that
    folder? Will that work?

    > Yeah - don't use removable drives as network shares. You're asking for
    > trouble.
    >
    > --
    > Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] rgharper@email.com
    > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    >

    > "Ron Hinds" <__NoSpam@__NoSpamramac.com> wrote in message
    > > Repost: Thought I had this problem solved but it seems to be
    > > intermittient.
    > > I need it to work consistently!
    > >
    > > I want to use external USB drives to backup a SQL Server database to,
    then
    > > disconnect the drive for an offsite backup. The USB drives will be
    > > connected
    > > to the workstations of three users; thus each will have the capability
    of
    > > doing the offsite backup. The drives need to be shared in order for SQL
    > > Server to backup to them. Here's my problem: every time I reconnect the
    > > drive, all of the sharing info that existed before it was disconnected
    is
    > > lost. Any suggestions? TIA!

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Still potentially bad news. If you value your data, don't. Just don't.

    --

    > What about using the "Mount in this NTFS folder" option? And sharing that
    > folder? Will that work?
    >
    > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    >> Yeah - don't use removable drives as network shares. You're asking for
    >> trouble.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] rgharper@email.com
    >> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    >>

    >> "Ron Hinds" <__NoSpam@__NoSpamramac.com> wrote in message
    >> > Repost: Thought I had this problem solved but it seems to be
    >> > intermittient.
    >> > I need it to work consistently!
    >> >
    >> > I want to use external USB drives to backup a SQL Server database to,
    > then
    >> > disconnect the drive for an offsite backup. The USB drives will be
    >> > connected
    >> > to the workstations of three users; thus each will have the capability
    > of
    >> > doing the offsite backup. The drives need to be shared in order for SQL
    >> > Server to backup to them. Here's my problem: every time I reconnect the
    >> > drive, all of the sharing info that existed before it was disconnected
    > is
    >> > lost. Any suggestions? TIA!

Backup Microsoft Windows