(also on alt.elderscrolls) Cheater's Curse: Can Console co..

(Taken from a Cheater's Anonymous meeting)

Uh.. hi... I'm David... and... I... I... I... cheat at morrowind... at
first it was just trying not to have to walk so far... and then I
needed some pocket change for an item... and then there was this bully
who was beating me up... and now I can't stop...

Seriously, though I want to actually play the game straight and fair,
but I have this habit of popping open the console and typing "coc" or
"tgm" or "player-> additem gold_100" and I wish there was some way to
disable those commands or the console altogether, please help.

Try writing a contract with yourself about what you will and won't
consider acceptable for the next game you play. For example, "I will
use TCL to get unstuck from the landscape. I will not use TCL to
"fly". I will use RA to reset actors who have wandered. I will use
"placeatpc" to restore NPC who have died from falling through the
landscape. I will not use "placeatpc" to get neat things without
working for them." and so forth. Maybe that will help you stick to
your plans for how to play the game.

It may also help to look for mods that adjust things that tempt you to
cheat. For example, if walking everywhere annoys you, get "VTA_travel"
or some other mods that improve the fast travel in the game. If
traveling is less annoying, you may be less tempted to start "cheating"
to travel.

You might also try some of the mods that substantially alter game play
(Necessities of Morrowind or Taddeus Balanced Mods, for example) to try
to change the pace at which you play.

In article <1124116352.578767.219990@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
RiversideGraduateDp <meisdavidp@intrex.net> wrote:
>(Taken from a Cheater's Anonymous meeting)
>
>Uh.. hi... I'm David... and... I... I... I... cheat at morrowind... at
>first it was just trying not to have to walk so far... and then I
>needed some pocket change for an item... and then there was this bully
>who was beating me up... and now I can't stop...
>
>Seriously, though I want to actually play the game straight and fair,
>but I have this habit of popping open the console and typing "coc" or
>"tgm" or "player-> additem gold_100" and I wish there was some way to
>disable those commands or the console altogether, please help.

You know, I actually started writing a mod that addresses this problem.
I was going to make the console password-protected, in that the prompt
would come up but it wouldn't accept any input unless the right password
was entered. This is where the wheels came off the wagon, because I wasn't
sure how to generate a password ahead of time that would properly secure
the thing... I figured that the game would use a pre-set list of passwords
from a text file, or it would generate a random string of characters that
would become in-game data, like on a signpost or something. Either way,
you'd have to go into a gaming session intending to use the console (like
for playtesting and such) and not be tempted to use the thing just out of
convenience.

Whoa, that's a lot of words saying very little. Anyway, the sum total of
my ability to create plug-ins is to put breasts in places where breasts do
not belong, so someone with more talent than I have should probably try to
code the thing up. :)

-KKC, who thought he discovered a GMST until somebody told him where Rolf
Long-Tooth is actually located...
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |

On 15 Aug 2005 07:32:32 -0700, "RiversideGraduateDp"
<meisdavidp@intrex.net> wrote:

>Seriously, though I want to actually play the game straight and fair,
>but I have this habit of popping open the console and typing "coc" or
>"tgm" or "player-> additem gold_100" and I wish there was some way to
>disable those commands or the console altogether, please help.

What do you consider cheating?

I've done some remarkable things with potions that I don't consider
cheating though they clearly go well beyond what the game designers
had in mind.....on one occasion I even killed the Big Bad in the
Bloodmoon final dungeon in two blows. On another occasion I took down
Dagoth Ur in three blows - I think I could have done it in one had I
been willing to load and reload.

Thank you all a lot. I think I've found a solution that will work for
me. I'm going to put it here for all who suffer the Morrowind
"Cheater's Curse":

I deleted all my old characters (this was rather painless because this
had been a fresh install over the past week on a new computer... WITH
ATI card... yay SHINY WATER...um yeah). I then went online searching
for a name generator and found a site that had a way to search for
names by what they meant, unfortunately, I lost it after using it or
I'd post it here.

I then opened Morrowind and based my character race entirely on looks
(read in a character creation faq on gamefaqs that while some races
have obvious begining stat/class connections most can be evened out to
any class eventually. I then went ahead and answered the questions for
class and took what it gave me. I created a behavior "ego" (ie. what to
my character is wrong, morally, ethically, or legally; needless to say,
this includes opening the console for anything but getting unstuck from
walls and the like). After leaving the tax office I saved and played,
without saving, until I was done for the evening. I then saved for a
second time. I got this idea from another posting I saw yesterday
(about roleplaying versus gaming Morrowind). As my character is now
morally and ethically motivated cheating is the least of my concerns,
now I have to worry more about choosing factions and tasks that
conflict with his values. money is much harder to come by now, as are
weapons and armor, but so far this has been infinitely more satisfying.
I'm going to include below My basic character design. I hope it serves
as inspiration to anyone else with problems similar to the affliction I
suffered.

Name: Deodrin (my take on the Gaelic root of the name Doran, which is
associated with "in exile" or "wander")
Race: Dunmer
Class: Knight (I do not steal, take things off of corpses I find, rob
tombs or crypts (nor enter them without just cause, and I do not kill
those who do not deserve to die or who attack me, items on those who
attack me or deserve to die are fair game, I do not take greedy or
malicious jobs, alchemy ingredients and animal meat from hostile
animals is ok to take and sell, as little bribing as possible)
Sign: Steed (As a result of the above, I knew it would take a while to
make enough money for decent weapons, so I knew I'd be unarmored and
hand-to-hand for a while (neither being strong skills for knights or
Dunmer, so running away became important)

As a result, my first skills to go up were unarmored, hand-to-hand, and
athletics (meaning multipliers, yay) and when I saved last night I had
just arrived in balmora in the starting clothes plus a iron sabre (I
think) and an iron shield.

Thank you all very much for your ideas and support.
-Dave

This would be an awesome pluging. I hope someone does make it. I also
hope that Oblivion has a cheat enable command (like games such as Jedi
Knight 2 and Half-Life and the like).

"RiversideGraduateDp" <meisdavidp@intrex.net> wrote in message
> (Taken from a Cheater's Anonymous meeting)
>
> Uh.. hi... I'm David... and... I... I... I... cheat at morrowind... at
> first it was just trying not to have to walk so far... and then I
> needed some pocket change for an item... and then there was this bully
> who was beating me up... and now I can't stop...
>
> Seriously, though I want to actually play the game straight and fair,
> but I have this habit of popping open the console and typing "coc" or
> "tgm" or "player-> additem gold_100" and I wish there was some way to
> disable those commands or the console altogether, please help.

Just don't do it.

>RiversideGraduateDp

Is that as in UCR?

Get the Xbox version. No console, no mods, comes complete with the two
expansions.

I switched to the Xbox version of Morrowind and I find not worrying
about the latest mods and just playing to be rather enjoyable.