Change MAC address

Hi,

I have 2 networking devices which are the same. But the MAC addresses
can be changed. When I connect them to a hub, do I need to change the
MAC address so that they have different MAC addresses?

Thanks!
10 answers Last reply
More about change address

    leonlai2k@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have 2 networking devices which are the same. But the MAC addresses
    > can be changed. When I connect them to a hub, do I need to change the
    > MAC address so that they have different MAC addresses?

    Are you saying they have the same mac? That's unual. Some computer NICs
    can be changed, but without further info, I haven't any idea about what
    you've got.

    leonlai2k@yahoo.com wrote:
    >I have 2 networking devices which are the same. But the MAC addresses
    >can be changed. When I connect them to a hub, do I need to change the
    >MAC address so that they have different MAC addresses?

    What kind of devices?

    In general (plus or minus the discussion in this ng about what happens
    or how it should be handled when two MAC addresses are the same),
    every single MAC address should be globally unique.

    On 25 Jan 2005 05:53:27 -0800, leonlai2k@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have 2 networking devices which are the same. But the MAC addresses
    > can be changed. When I connect them to a hub, do I need to change the
    > MAC address so that they have different MAC addresses?
    >
    > Thanks!

    The mac addresses should be different anyway. What type of devices are
    they, NICs?

    Regards

    Bill

    William P.N. Smith wrote:

    > In general (plus or minus the discussion in this ng about what happens
    > or how it should be handled when two MAC addresses are the same),
    > every single MAC address should be globally unique.

    However, unique MACs are only required on the local network. One you pass
    through a router, the original MAC is lost, along with the rest of the
    original ethernet (or other) frame.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    In article <jf3dv0551lelpgkckb2qe1ajdpnh6gpn1q@4ax.com>,
    <William P.N. Smith> wrote:

    :In general (plus or minus the discussion in this ng about what happens
    :or how it should be handled when two MAC addresses are the same),
    :every single MAC address should be globally unique.

    Though that's not the underlying definition: the underlying
    requirement is not -global- uniqueness, but rather uniqueness
    per segment.
    --
    Reviewers should be required to produce a certain number of
    negative reviews - like police given quotas for handing out

    William P.N. Smith wrote:
    >every single MAC address should be globally unique.

    OK, they only have to be unique per segment to make that particular
    segment work, but in general, they should be globally unique, so any
    device will work on any segment with any other device. And yeah,
    there are nits you can pick all day, but I suspect the OP needs to
    give them (globally) unique addresses.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    William P.N. Smith wrote:

    > William P.N. Smith wrote:
    >>every single MAC address should be globally unique.
    >
    > OK, they only have to be unique per segment to make that particular
    > segment work, but in general, they should be globally unique, so any
    > device will work on any segment with any other device. And yeah,
    > there are nits you can pick all day, but I suspect the OP needs to
    > give them (globally) unique addresses.

    Hopefully, he can find unique addresses. There are only 281 trillion of
    them available. ;-)
  8. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote:
    >leonlai2k@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>I have 2 networking devices which are the same. But the MAC addresses
    >>can be changed. When I connect them to a hub, do I need to change the
    >>MAC address so that they have different MAC addresses?
    >
    >What kind of devices?
    >
    >In general (plus or minus the discussion in this ng about what happens
    >or how it should be handled when two MAC addresses are the same),
    >every single MAC address should be globally unique.

    Normally, a NIC will be shipped from the factory with a globally unique
    MAC address. One exception to this is when you have multiple NICs in a
    SUN computer. In that case, the default is to have one MAC address for
    all the NICs in the machine. The idea is that the address is for the
    computer, not the NIC and that there would be no reason to have more than
    one NIC connected to an ethernet segment. You can change this default
    and have a seperate MAC address for each NIC by setting a value into the
    correct variable in the open boot program.
    --
    Tom Schulz
    schulz@adi.com

    "James Knott" wrote:
    > William P.N. Smith wrote:
    >
    > > William P.N. Smith wrote:
    > >>every single MAC address should be globally unique.
    > >
    > > OK, they only have to be unique per segment to make that particular
    > > segment work, but in general, they should be globally unique, so any
    > > device will work on any segment with any other device. And yeah,
    > > there are nits you can pick all day, but I suspect the OP needs to
    > > give them (globally) unique addresses.
    >
    > Hopefully, he can find unique addresses. There are only 281 trillion of
    > them available. ;-)

    I'm sorry I cannot share your optimism... After setting the Individual/Group
    address bit to 0 and the Universally or Locally administered address bit to
    1, there are only about 70 trillion possible combinations left! ;-)

    (See IEEE Std 802-2001 subclause 9.2 for more details.)

    Michael
    (remove filter from email address)
    --
    http://www.ethernetinthefirstmile.com
  10. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    Michael wrote:

    >> Hopefully, he can find unique addresses.  There are only 281 trillion of
    >> them available.  ;-)
    >
    > I'm sorry I cannot share your optimism... After setting the
    > Individual/Group address bit to 0 and the Universally or Locally
    > administered address bit to 1, there are only about 70 trillion possible
    > combinations left! ;-)

    Maybe we'd better start salvaging the MACs from all the NICs that have been
    trashed over the years. ;-)

Ethernet Card Mac Address Macintosh Networking